Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To Big Bore or Not???

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2006 | 11:27 PM
Topper
|
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default To Big Bore or Not???

Bike is in the shop getting the Bassani 2-1, service and couple more odds and ends. Service manager said I should go ahead and do the big bore now and get an out the door price for all @ $2100-$2200 plus tax. Sounds like a fairly sweet deal to me, when I am looking at approx. $600 for pipe change out, service and dyno. Worst case, $1600 for a big bore kit, all SE parts. Input welcomed, parts are in stock, need to make a final decision by 9 am EST.

Old 04-18-2006 | 11:38 PM
Shovelhead Bob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 21 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: To Big Bore or Not???

What are you using for your Fuel Management Softare (SE Ignition Tuner, SERT, PCIII, DFO)?

You can't go wrong with a 95" kit.... Although, myself, I like to reuse the original jugs, just bore them out... It is cheaper for the customer in the long run, and the jugs are already heat seasoned....

JMHO

Old 04-18-2006 | 11:44 PM
Topper
|
Road Captain

Shovelhead Bob,

Have the SERT...............

Topper

Old 04-19-2006 | 12:33 AM
GliderXXX
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts

The ONLY reason I can think of to NOT to is if you couldn't afford it, and it caused a problem elsewhere. I came off a 95", SE Heads, Woods Cams, Thunderheader, Roller Rockers, SE Ignition, Ultima Lifters...and other pricey and mind numbing (during the build process), Fatboy that I loved, and was very fast, but I was still considering just going stock for a while on new Street Glide. I test rode an 88 and was surprised at the torque and how quick it felt. Still I couldn't help but wonder how quickly 88" would get old after what I was currently riding. The guy I bought my bike from, (sold me the Fatboy too), took me aside one Saturday while I was still going through my "process" and said "I really want to sell you StreetGlide, and with all the add ons you've listed, you've paid for a Big Bore kit with SE cams etc. Please do the motor first. I know I'm gonna see you come back in here with a major disapointed look on your face if you don't bump that SG up." He was right...a few other parts that can wait came off and the Big Bore went on.

I'm REALLY glad I did. I mean there are already times I find myself planning on whether I"m gonna bore the heads or replace em with SE Heads again I firmly believe the baggers should come out of the factory with 95"s. That ain't gonna happen, but it they should. A mild 95" build, (no roller rockers, headwork, compression releases, etc etc.) will make good HP and torque with the right cams, particularly. I got the SE 203's and they are actually a pretty damn torguey little cam. I'm pleased. I had 211's on the Fatboy before the TW5-G's, and they were to mid rpm for my taste.

Sorry for the ramble...so in short, Go for it! You won't look back.

Old 04-19-2006 | 12:39 AM
Shovelhead Bob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 21 Likes on 4 Posts

Do the build!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 04-19-2006 | 01:09 AM
Topper
|
Road Captain

Money is not a big issue, neither is performance, LOL............Not one to really dog a bike, but do love some low end torque, and as told this kit will pull like a big dog. Glider, I think parts was out of 203's and the 211's were quoted in the price. Gonna roll with it

Old 04-19-2006 | 01:19 AM
Bruce00
Extreme HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

You know what I would do

Old 04-19-2006 | 01:31 AM
Topper
|
Road Captain

Bruce,

They put the 2-1 on this afternoon, and my service manager called me, said I had to come hear the beast................Bike was supposed to be ready this afternoon, but had not made it to the dyno due to a blower problem[&o]. Cranked it up and gave it some throttle and its amazing how good the pipe sounded, low idle, nothing but DEEEP rumble, and on throttle, it was hard to believe. They would not run it for more than about 45 secs., but, bike did not miss a beat, even with no dyno time. going to go ahead and get the kit, he's throwing in the service and dyno time for free, best I can tell, must be quota time! Add another Bassani to the group

NO clamps either[sm=groupwave.gif]

Old 04-19-2006 | 01:41 AM
Bruce00
Extreme HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

ORIGINAL: Topper

Bruce,

They put the 2-1 on this afternoon, and my service manager called me, said I had to come hear the beast................Bike was supposed to be ready this afternoon, but had not made it to the dyno due to a blower problem[&o]. Cranked it up and gave it some throttle and its amazing how good the pipe sounded, low idle, nothing but DEEEP rumble, and on throttle, it was hard to believe. They would not run it for more than about 45 secs., but, bike did not miss a beat, even with no dyno time. going to go ahead and get the kit, he's throwing in the service and dyno time for free, best I can tell, must be quota time! Add another Bassani to the group

NO clamps either[sm=groupwave.gif]

SWEET, your putting a supercharger on your bike too[sm=drooldude.gif] LOL

Congrats, I know your gonna love it. The weather has finally turned BEAUTIFUL around here, but I continue to debate pulling my motor apart for head work. Wish I had bit the bullet and did the heads with the rest of the motor[:@]
Dynoing my truck tomorrow with the new blower on it, so tomorrow should work out great for both of us.

Good Luck

Old 04-19-2006 | 03:10 AM
Toytech
Tourer

I suggest a woody's blower kit. AS the quotes go...'there is no substitute for cubic inches except turbos or superchargers'.

Quick Reply: To Big Bore or Not???