Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rhinehart slip on question

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2009, 12:42 PM
wayerd
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rhinehart slip on question

My dealer told me today, that despite what many other dealers tell you, that you can add rhinehart slip ons (on a 2009) SG and skip the download. He claims hes done it many times already, and "hooked it up to the computer and it ran fine". Is this true, or should i just go with rush slip ons so i dont have to pay for the download?

thanks in advance

Old 02-03-2009, 01:30 PM
RHillbilly
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

They say you can add mufflers without a download . I didnt do a download on mine the service manager said not necassary unless you change the air cleaner

Old 02-03-2009, 01:44 PM
Clint55
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't see how there is much difference between the Rineharts and the Rush. Both mufflers are a basically unrestricted flow through system with spiral cuts in the baffle walls. The Rush are wrapped with packing and the Rineharts arn't. I guess what I'm getting at is that you can stick a broom handle all the way up to the head-pipe on either muffler. It's just that the Rush has 5 separate baffle diameter options from 1.5 inches up to 2.5 inches.

My .02 would be to call Fuel Moto, spend a little extra and go with a Rush or Jackpot performance package, AC / PCV, etc.

Old 02-03-2009, 01:53 PM
RODEO
Outstanding HDF Member

D&D Muffler just published an article in American bagger magazine where they took an 09 and added not only their slip on mufflers, but a high flow air cleaner too with absolutely no mods to the EFI and no download. They published the dyno chart and it seems to be normal all throughout the run. So?

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...-this-one.html

Old 02-03-2009, 02:08 PM
Cloud09King
Road Warrior

Not sure if this is what your talking about, but yes, you can just purchase a set of slip-ons, install them & enjoy the ride with nothing else needed. This is exactly what I'm about to do with my Rinehart slip-ons I just purchased because I can't afford to get the A/C & SERT right now that I want. You'll end up with better sound, but no increased torque or hp. You won't be maximizing the performance of your exhaust, but it'll run fine & sound great. All your engine is is just an air pump, where you can alter how much it intakes & releases. More intake + more release = more power. Think of it as this...without any type of larger air cleaner than your stock one & fuel management system to compensate you'll basically be putting the lungs of a mouse on the body of an elephant. It will only release what it's capable of taking in & this will reflect through the bike's torque until a larger equilibrium of intake & exhaust is achieved.

Old 02-03-2009, 02:10 PM
wayerd
Advanced

So my dealer speaks truth, thanks for the replies. I would really love to get the high flow AC and the download right away, but im only upgrading because of the sportster deal. I really dont have the bank to do the download right away.

Old 02-03-2009, 02:10 PM
TMART
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I put rinehart slip-ons on mine with nothing else,bike ran great.I did order some IED's which helped the heat problem and richened it up just a tad.But to answer your questions,Yes you can.

Old 02-03-2009, 02:17 PM
RODEO
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Cloud09King
Not sure if this is what your talking about, but yes, you can just purchase a set of slip-ons, install them & enjoy the ride with nothing else needed. This is exactly what I'm about to do with my Rinehart slip-ons I just purchased because I can't afford to get the A/C & SERT right now that I want. You'll end up with better sound, but no increased torque or hp. You won't be maximizing the performance of your exhaust, but it'll run fine & sound great. All your engine is is just an air pump, where you can alter how much it intakes & releases. More intake + more release = more power. Think of it as this...without any type of larger air cleaner than your stock one & fuel management system to compensate you'll basically be putting the lungs of a mouse on the body of an elephant. It will only release what it's capable of taking in & this will reflect through the bike's torque until a larger equilibrium of intake & exhaust is achieved.
Yes, and NO

For the most part what you said is correct however most people overlook the following facts about flow and restrictions. (Anyone in the hydraulics or pneumatics related industry will certainly understand this).

Both Muffler as well as Air Cleaner are considered restrictions. Both add up to make a certain restriction level.
But if you ease the restriction on either one, the other will allow slightly more flow so there is a slight increase. That increase in not normally enough to force you to evaluate further mods to your EFI though and with the 09s, it seems the bike may compensate quite nicely even if you do modify both.

Look at it like a garden hose. Put a nozzle on and turn on the faucet. The faucet is supplying pressure (but that hose end is a restriction as opposed to open faucet flow) and the nozzle (on the other far end) creates yet another restriction even as the nozzle is opened to use. Now fill a bucket with water and time it using the nozzle. Then remove the nozzle and fill the bucket with an "open" hose end and time it again. The bucket fills faster with no nozzle to restrict it, regardless of the faucet not being changed on the other end. So, those two restrictions work to combine for a given flow restriction and altering either will have some effect on flow.

It's the same with mufflers at one end and your air cleaner at the other. Both are restictions to the "air pump" and both factor into a cumulative restrictive valuation. Alter either one and the final value gets altered as well. Thats why lots of vendors and dealers might say that (if just doing slip-ons) you can simply use mufflers no larger then 1.75" baffle with no other mods to the EFI.. Use anything bigger allows too much flow and Mods to EFI are likely necessary.

Last edited by RODEO; 02-03-2009 at 02:32 PM.
Old 02-03-2009, 02:30 PM
Tinkermc
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

change pipes or breather no remapping needed.

Old 02-03-2009, 02:56 PM
jimmything
Stellar HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

The ECM can correct for around plus or minus 5% difference from what I've read.

Quick Reply: Rhinehart slip on question