Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Would you let someone detail your bike ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2009, 05:41 PM
brunswickoh
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Anybody that wants to wash my bike is welcome to come over and do it!

Old 02-03-2009, 05:54 PM
dirtdobber
Elite HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I detail bikes for extra income. I do not advertise other than word of mouth. My busiest time is spring. The second time is the middle of the summer when bike sales pick up.
you need to expect a lot and I do mean a lot of bikes that have sit for a long or at least a period of time so they can either ride and look good or going on the sales market. The sales market will most likely be most of your work. Most riders prefer to detail their own bike unless work interferes and that will help increase work once you become known.
Bikes form a barn is good money but a lot of work. Most of the time, actually almost all the time, I have to dissemble the bike to get it properly cleaned. I noticed you are talking about part time that is very good. It will take a year or so to be known.
Good luck in your adventure.
By the way I really enjoy doing it.
Jim

Old 02-03-2009, 05:59 PM
nocarb
Road Master
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

I would say no, because I can do it myself.

Old 02-03-2009, 06:10 PM
bdp
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I paid 85 bucks a while back, so I guess I would do it again. Buyers remorse did set in a few days later when I got caught in the rain.

Old 02-03-2009, 06:10 PM
Plow64
Stellar HDF Member
Received 158 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by alandchris
Ladies and Gents -

I've been thinking about starting a part time detail business - but I'm not sure of the level of interest yet. The business pro's say 'start with a business plan', so here's a question that's part of that train of thought.

I've worked in a detail shop years ago doing mainly cars / trucks - but I thought I'd do bikes. I have experience, know what I'm doing, use the right materials etc. I'm in my 40's, will have insurance - legit in everyway - but just not a full time thing.

I know I can start with some of the people that I personally know who have bikes and then move forward from there - slow starting - but it's part time, not a big deal. I'd offer this by either having the owner drop the bike off / pick it up - or I would come out to their home and pick it / drop it off up with my enclosed trailer for convenience.

Question is .... would you 'trust' a guy right out of the phonebook for this type of thing - would you do the dropoff or trailer idea - any other comments for this type of service ? Would the level of interest be a full and complete detail (multi step wash / polish / wax / metal polish / seal etc) or just a wash and medium detailing.

Thx for your return posts
Do a poll on this. That'll give you an idea of the demand for this service.

Old 02-03-2009, 06:12 PM
1ironhead
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wanted my Streetbob w/bags detailed for my wedding.I didn't know where to take it.A guy down the road (well known for detailing hotrods) offered to do mine free if I supplied the products.He wanted to start doing bikes but had no idea how long it would take,what to charge,etc.(no,he doesn't ride).I was pressed for time so I took him up on the offer.I was very pleased.If I ever need that showroom look and am pressed for time,I'd have him do it again(Street Glide now).I never did ask what he'd charge though.

Old 02-03-2009, 06:38 PM
robbie52
Road Warrior
Received 141 Likes on 102 Posts

If she was wearing a bikini and I was watching, that might be ok.

Old 02-03-2009, 07:04 PM
jayman720
Tourer

Originally Posted by leohd
you can screw my ol lady but I won't let nobody touch my bike, especially being all black.
if it doesn't come out right I only want to blame myself. I think you can make a few bucks doing it, there is a demand,I have had people ask me to do there bikes but I refuse to do it. do you think you could make mine shine more? if so you will make millions. wish you good luck

Hysterical.

I won't let anyone touch my bike OR my lady...

(I'm still trying to figure out which one costs me more!)

Last edited by jayman720; 02-03-2009 at 07:15 PM.
Old 02-03-2009, 07:13 PM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 90 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by nocarb
I would say no, because I can do it myself.
Same here and it would be dirty in a few days anyway.

Old 02-03-2009, 08:39 PM
EGlideKid
Road Master

No offense, but cleaning and detailing my bike is part of the fun of owning it, plus I use that time to look it over for things that may become a problem later.
It's therapeutic and relaxing to do it myself, so I'd have to say no.

Quick Reply: Would you let someone detail your bike ?