Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How many finance their bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2006, 10:51 PM
skater69
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How many finance their bikes?

I ride a sport-touring bike (Honda CBR1100XX) but really it's a big fast crotch rocket. I like it alot but on the days I feel like going for a leisurely cruise and enjoying the scenery, I've been renting Electra Glide classics/standards and next will be a Road Glide.

The Harleys I've rented so far I've definitely enjoyed and would love to get one as a 2nd bike when I don't have the need for speed.
But $18K+.....I make decent money but I don't have that kind of cash to put down.
I could handle a monthly payment on one fairly easily.....just feel sorta strange financing one for 5 yrs since I'm not used to doing that.
So was wondering is that a common way to buy these bikes....put a little down and finance the rest? B/c it will be quite a while until I'd be able to pay cash for one. And I'm not really interested in a 10 yr old dresser w/50K miles.....I want something new or very close to it. Of course the other option is to look at Jap cruisers......not sure if I'd like them as much....and can't rent them/try them out like I can the Harleys.

Thanks for any and all feedback,
Barry

Old 04-18-2006, 11:05 PM
CHEYENNE
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: How many finance their bikes?

I financed as I think alot of people do. I'm not rich..LOL

Old 04-18-2006, 11:09 PM
Topper
Road Captain

Never known anyone with a Jap bike to get back their investment.................Last 2 Harleys I have owned, made money on one and broke even on the other, after riding it for 1700 miles before I saw a SG!! Look at a Harley as an investment, 18K in a money market account will not yield much these days, yet you can ride a Harley for a year or 2, make small payments and basically ride it for free.

With the EPA clamping down, I personally see the late model bikes gaining value over the next few years.

Old 04-18-2006, 11:15 PM
21Yankee
Cruiser

Financed mine.

Old 04-18-2006, 11:16 PM
turbo54
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I bought my used 2000 95 RG.Cash There are alot of nice used bikes broke in. Most HD owners take care of there investment.

[IMG]local://upfiles/3159/1B425FF445B54EC98522A12DE4964511.jpg[/IMG]

Old 04-18-2006, 11:18 PM
Carmell RKC
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I financed mine through HD Credit, no shame in that. A lot of people are unable to pay cash for these machines and financing one is a good way to get into one of the coolest rides out there. I say go for it, if that is what your budjet allows, and it doesent break the bank, Bingo !

Old 04-18-2006, 11:29 PM
NoKenDo
Road Master
Received 50 Likes on 17 Posts

Paid half down, sold some property and paid the bike off.
I'm now looking for one for my wife.

Old 04-18-2006, 11:41 PM
skater69
Cruiser

Actually I sold some property but the profit is untouchable for 5 yrs avoid paying capital gains. Doesn't HD once in a blew moon offer low (like below 5%) rate financing for 60 mos? I can get 5.99 for 60 mos thru my credit union, which I know is good but would like something even lower.

As far as the bike holding their value better, yeah I know they do but I'm still gonna lose if when I sell. Jap cruisers don't hold their value nearly as well but then again I can get a used VTX w/super low miles for under $8K so it kinda evens out.....I know I know......but it's a VTX....LOL!

Old 04-18-2006, 11:56 PM
Neggy ZRXOA 5248
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 821 Likes on 462 Posts

The Blackbird isn't a fast bike.... if you wanted fast you should have gotten a ZX-12.

I pay cash for my bikes. For the little I get to ride them it isn't worth the 1200+ a year EACH to insure them to the level a bank would want to secure the loan. So I take the 2 grand a year I save and replenish the fun money fund with it.

Even if I had a uninsured loss I have saved enough money over the years that I am way ahead of the game.

Old 04-19-2006, 12:00 AM
a21m
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you only live once. finance and enjoy it.

Andy

[sm=grinangel.gif]

Quick Reply: How many finance their bikes?