Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

harleys in dash mount for the 550 zumo!

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2009, 11:09 AM
UltraDuke
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i like my handle bar mount. one less hole in the inner fairing. as far as being in your line of sight, i will have to call BS. as soon as you fix your eyes on the gps, no matter where it is, your eyes are off the road.

Old 02-02-2009, 11:56 AM
Berndude
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

C'mon, glancing straight ahead versus looking down and looking back up there is a difference, I believe thats why the Navy has heads up displays in there fighter jets! easier than looking down at the instruments.

Try it sometime and you will see the difference, perfect example, i have pillar mounted pods in my truck and I can look at them and have my eyes back on the road pretty fast.

Old 02-02-2009, 12:10 PM
hotpursuit
Road Captain

i have one allready but it wont be on for at least a month as im doing a bunch of work on the scoot... much much cleaner look than on the bars imho...i have long arms so not too concerned...

Old 02-02-2009, 01:06 PM
dragonx
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Doe this just consist of the ball end mount? Could you use cradles from other garmin units on it?

Old 02-02-2009, 03:32 PM
The Old Man
Road Master

Well thanks all...you guys have about the same feelings that I have about it. Maybe if I could see on in place on a bike first. I have mine on the Zumo mounts a the left handlebars and its fine. Have it pluged into the ciger lighter and it works great. Would like that area cleaned up though. Time will tell.

Old 02-02-2009, 03:45 PM
Trailfndr
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

iring mount on the Quest a few years ago...NEVER AGAIN!!!!!!

First off, it left 3 holes in the4 inner fairing, second, it was hard to reach even to change views when stopped at a light. Third, Looks even WORSE when the GPS is off the bike. If you ever change GPS units, you are stuck with the extra holes. Others won't fitthe same mount.

I was able to hide 2 holes with a dash pad, but the third one I had to install a plug. I hated that look for a year until I got rid of the bike.

Old 02-02-2009, 06:40 PM
The Old Man
Road Master

Point well taken...........

Originally Posted by Trailfndr
iring mount on the Quest a few years ago...NEVER AGAIN!!!!!!

First off, it left 3 holes in the4 inner fairing, second, it was hard to reach even to change views when stopped at a light. Third, Looks even WORSE when the GPS is off the bike. If you ever change GPS units, you are stuck with the extra holes. Others won't fitthe same mount.

I was able to hide 2 holes with a dash pad, but the third one I had to install a plug. I hated that look for a year until I got rid of the bike.

Old 02-02-2009, 06:52 PM
bluffalobob
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Berndude
C'mon, glancing straight ahead versus looking down and looking back up there is a difference, I believe thats why the Navy has heads up displays in there fighter jets! easier than looking down at the instruments.
That's my idea of a perfect GPS for a motorcycle. One that mounts inside the fairing and projects onto the windshield, heads up style. With controls on the handlebars. Oh yeah, it needs color weather radar. One final thing, all this for $300!

Old 02-02-2009, 07:03 PM
capt775
Road Master

Well, I keep my road atlas in my tour pac until I stop for gas or lookup where I need to turn. Streach my legs, drink a coke, eat a snack, look at the map.

Hell, I've even asked for directions before.

Old 02-02-2009, 07:21 PM
MackAttack
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'll join the group that supports the RAM mount on the handlebar. The new mount might be better looking but the GPS will be further away. Left hand mount is quick. Also, I'm not going to drill holes in a painted inner fairing.

RAM mounts you can change angle and even reconfigure the mount itself if you wish to buy different parts. More functional.

Seems like the people that have been using the Zumo are more for the RAM mount.

Quick Reply: harleys in dash mount for the 550 zumo!