Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got NO brake light!! Help please

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2009, 09:13 AM
1of2
"Moderator"
Received 951 Likes on 341 Posts

Not sure where the plugs are on your bike. On mine the front is under the front of the gas tank. It disconnects the wires that go to my switch housings from the rest of the system. Check your service manual for an electrical diagram.

Originally Posted by davandsarah
I feel stupid but which plug are you referring to,I'd love to try your idea and narrow it down to half the bike, thanks so much for the advice thus far, I'm not ready to throw in the towel just yet.

Old 02-02-2009, 09:25 AM
davandsarah
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will check the manual and try this, thank god its winter,or I'd be calling in sick to fix this thing.

Last edited by davandsarah; 02-02-2009 at 09:26 AM. Reason: spelling error
Old 02-02-2009, 09:34 AM
1of2
"Moderator"
Received 951 Likes on 341 Posts

I had a problem with my blinker light blowing and it was a wire going to the back from when they relocated the rear turn signals. Drove me nuts but was a simple wire grounding out.

Old 02-02-2009, 09:45 AM
gmc
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The wires have to be in the groove under the handlebar clamp, it is easy to pinch the wires there. Also if your brake light is on bright then I would think you don't have the tab lined up with the lever. Also could be wires are touching in the housing, not much room in there. Good luck.

Old 02-02-2009, 10:44 AM
davandsarah
Novice

Man, I'm gonna need some luck here, it would suck to have done all this work myself to avoid paying a dealer, and then have to bring it in for this, if I new they could do it in an hour or 2 I'd probably say OK, but my fear is that they end up saying it took 5 hrs. to find...yikes. Maybe I'll get lucky for once

Old 02-02-2009, 10:51 AM
davandsarah
Novice

Anyone out there with some suggestions on finding a short in a situation I'd love to here them, sad but I can build a motor, but electrical stuff makes me turn into a dumb@%$.

Old 02-02-2009, 12:13 PM
rkoivisto
Road Warrior
Received 80 Likes on 38 Posts
Default short

I aready told you just what needs to be done. If you have a multi meter, you can read the short from the side of the fuse that doesn't have 12 volts on it. From there it's a pretty simple matter to find the actual short.

Old 02-02-2009, 08:01 PM
davandsarah
Novice
Default another thought

I'm going to try the test light and go from there, thanks to the fella that gave me that info by the way. One question ( or 2 maybe) could a bad relay cause the fuse to blow? Also, i here a click in the relay when I apply the front brake, but not the rear, this normal? Thanks guys.

Old 02-02-2009, 09:02 PM
rkoivisto
Road Warrior
Received 80 Likes on 38 Posts
Default Fuse

Originally Posted by davandsarah
I'm going to try the test light and go from there, thanks to the fella that gave me that info by the way. One question ( or 2 maybe) could a bad relay cause the fuse to blow? Also, i here a click in the relay when I apply the front brake, but not the rear, this normal? Thanks guys.
No, a bad relay will not blow the fuse. You have a SHORTED WIRE. An ohm meter is the easiest way to find the short.

Old 02-02-2009, 09:11 PM
rshwetz
Cruiser

You must have pinched the wires that go under the clamp on the handle bars. Take them apart and roll them in your fingers then try your break lite. If they work be careful putting the clamps back on. Just a thought and worth a try.

Quick Reply: Got NO brake light!! Help please