Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Seat padding ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2009, 01:11 PM
jack49
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Seat padding ?

I'am having my SG seat repadded by a local shop. Options are Memory
Foam or Comfort Foam, or a combination of both. Does anyone know
the difference between these two foams, and would appreciate any input.
Gel is out,tried it and didn't like.

Old 02-01-2009, 01:47 PM
crfranklin65
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a seat repadded with high density memory foam. It was not of the quality used by vendors such as Mean City Cycles and in my opinion, ruined the seat. It felt comfortable - like a cloud for the first hour. Then the foam would break down and I had pressure points. Not good for trips at all.

Be sure you are using somebody who really knows seats or you could be disappointed.

I've done the gel thing too and it was the worse mod I could have done to a softail reach seat.

Old 02-01-2009, 01:47 PM
molsen
Road Master

If I am not mistaken comfort foam will be a certain way an that is it. Although it will be comfortable it will not conform to your body's uniqness. Memory foam will conform to your body. If I am wrong then I apologize up front, but that is how I understood it. Did the same thing this week. Went with memory foam.

Old 02-01-2009, 02:18 PM
Timex
Tourer

Originally Posted by crfranklin65
I had a seat repadded with high density memory foam. It was not of the quality used by vendors such as Mean City Cycles and in my opinion, ruined the seat. It felt comfortable - like a cloud for the first hour. Then the foam would break down and I had pressure points. Not good for trips at all.

Be sure you are using somebody who really knows seats or you could be disappointed.

I've done the gel thing too and it was the worse mod I could have done to a softail reach seat.

Why not gel? My Mustang seat has a gel pad insert. My *** likes it, what issues are there? I might change it out for another type of foam if need be. Thanks in advance.

Old 02-01-2009, 02:34 PM
swlamedic
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a memory foam bed, and I LOVE it. I am not sure how it would be on a seat though. I have the Harley Road Zepplin seat, and it has adjustable air pockets in it, so, I can change the pressure points every so often. Also, make a point, every three hours, or 200 miles, I get gas, and I stretch and walk around a bit. Spend a good 15 minutes at the gas station, pee, get a drink, review a map or whatever. That 15 minutes will go along way for the next 200 miles.

Old 02-01-2009, 04:41 PM
jack49
Road Captain

Originally Posted by crfranklin65

That's real interesting,didn't realize there were different quality levels of
memory foam. I've no idea which foam this shop would use, guess I will
have to call Mean City Cycles. Only want to do this once,and don't want it screwed up.
Thanks for the great info.

Old 02-01-2009, 04:52 PM
jcbpa
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Be careful!!!!! Call AlligatorBob.com and ask him. He'll give you the real deal.

Old 02-01-2009, 04:58 PM
wbeem
Tourer

Originally Posted by Timex
Why not gel? My Mustang seat has a gel pad insert. My *** likes it, what issues are there? I might change it out for another type of foam if need be. Thanks in advance.
Here's a graphic presentation from Corbin on why they believe Gel and soft foams are bad and comfort cell is good.

http://corbin.com/funstuff/media/corbin_ecc.shtml

Old 02-02-2009, 07:08 AM
9Roadking9
Advanced

had a gel pad installed 5 years ago in my 1999 RKC,been lovin it ever since,,,,no more monkey butt

Old 02-02-2009, 09:47 AM
BadX
Elite HDF Member
Received 91 Likes on 50 Posts

Memory foam is temprature sensitive and adjust to pressure points which cause heat so it will shape to you accordingly. Comfort Foam...could be about anything honestly. Some people call Memory foam, space foam, thermopedic foam and so on and you can re-name foam to suit your needs.

There are several different types of memory foam and 90% of them are used in matteresses. There are several different companies that claim their foam can be used in seating applications but most are designed for weight to be distributed over large areas and not a small area like with seating. I could go into a lot of time consuming detail on the different qualities out there but will spare you the time of having to read it all. Most of the guys in this business use good foam but there are some guys out there using matteress memory foam and it is not made for this type of application and after 30-45 minutes you will be bottomed out. I have seen several of these seats come into the shop and just did a guys VRod seat last week that someone locally put it in and it just don't work. The memory foam we use is made for sitting appications and if you laid down on it would feel like a brick except for the extremely soft and it would feel firm because it is not made for that type of application.

Quick Reply: Seat padding ?