Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clearview WELLNUT assy. Assistance Please?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2009, 01:40 PM
RODEO
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clearview WELLNUT assy. Assistance Please?

Guys,
Got my new Clearview +1" windshield yesterday and am installing it today. pretty straight forward.

I got the new windshield on per Clearview's instruction and I did get all the pre-assembled wellnuts through the holes. HERE's the problem.

When I go to tighten any, they all just seem to slip in place and will not tighten. I am sure many of you have done this installation already, so what is the trick? I managed to pull the windshield off again so it is now off the bike.

Help appreciated?

Old 01-31-2009, 01:43 PM
skootchnc
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 502 Likes on 260 Posts

Try taking the well nuts and starting them, on the windshield... seems to work well.... I've put a dab of that blue silicone stuff on the well nuts, seems to hold them in place just enough (for me) to tighten them up....

Old 01-31-2009, 01:49 PM
RODEO
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by skootchnc
Try taking the well nuts and starting them, on the windshield... seems to work well.... I've put a dab of that blue silicone stuff on the well nuts, seems to hold them in place just enough (for me) to tighten them up....
They ARE all started on the windshield, as per Clearviews instructions. I tightened them until I felt some pressure, then popped it onto the fairing, like the instructions said. But then, I cant seem to tighten any of them. They all just spin in place. Anyone have this problem with it?

Old 01-31-2009, 02:19 PM
rrsjs5
Road Captain

..Push down on the shield while tightening,alittle pressure will usually keep them from turning.

Old 01-31-2009, 05:46 PM
Ummagumma
Road Master
Veteran: Navy
Received 1,418 Likes on 624 Posts

Had to have the wife help out and push down on the windshield and the extra pressure worked. Also make sure you do the nuts in order like the instructions state.

Old 01-31-2009, 06:24 PM
RODEO
Outstanding HDF Member

After several hours of what should have been a one hour project at best, I found the problem. First, I was fighting with this so much, I decided to run to the dealer before they closed today for more wellnuts and screws, anticipating the worst and knowing I'm supposed to ride tomorrow with HOG. I got the parts from the dealer and on the way out stopped off at Service and asked them what was the secret. They admitted it is a P.I.A. and suggested (like someone above) to push down as you tighten. Then as I was driving home in my car, it dawned on me!! DUH!!

I was trying to use the Wellnuts backwards! I had even taken the windshield off and had it on my counter with all the wellnuts assembled and couldnt tighten them with a pliers and screwdriver, not to the point of mushrooming them like they should. Now maybe I'm crazy but the Clearview came with the center one installed and all the instructions said were to duplicate the center one for all the rest. Maybe that center one was backwards because I can swear I payed attention and did just that.

Anyway, I had just enough good and used parts to give it one last shot and finally it went right on and tightened up. I spent the better part of all afternoon f'ing with this dang thing but still got a feeling of satisfaction for doing it myself.

Oh, by the way, when I layed the new windshield up on top of the old one (flat on the counter) it appeared that the new one was like 2-1/2" longer and I had only ordered a 1" increase. It was marked correctly but just looked way too tall. However I decided to try it anyway, knowing that the angles might be different and after it was installed it was perfect.

But I gott'a tell you I now HATE F'ing Wellnutz!

Last edited by RODEO; 01-31-2009 at 06:40 PM.
Old 01-31-2009, 09:38 PM
2011 Road Glide Ultra
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have to admire your candor - it takes a real man to own up to that one!

Old 01-31-2009, 10:03 PM
FLoTR
Road Master

Originally Posted by Teachu2
I have to admire your candor - it takes a real man to own up to that one!
ditto

Old 02-01-2009, 07:37 AM
skootchnc
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 502 Likes on 260 Posts

I think we ALL "hate" well nuts..... I bet I have enough of them sitting on the inside of my fairing to last me a few years... thank goodness, I can go the the dealer, and buy more than I need, and still pay less than a 6 pack.

I had to double check the parts drawing a few time on my first effort too... (the next time will be easier, if that's any help)

Old 02-01-2009, 10:35 AM
lschultz
Road Master

Duh the ole wellnut got you. I don't think the one that Clearview puts on the windsheild was on backwards you was probably just so excited to get it you just did not pay attention to what you were doing. Well have you learned something? You make mistakes you learn from them- hopefully.

Quick Reply: Clearview WELLNUT assy. Assistance Please?