Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dyno Run: Getting the most out of it?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2009, 08:23 PM
09StreetGlider
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Dyno Run: Getting the most out of it?

I'm taking in my scoot for a dyno run tomorrow morning to see where I'm at before I do some upgrades. My question is how do I learn the most from my run on the dyno? How many runs are necessary just to get a good idea how things are doing? What should I ask the tech...if anything?

I won't be having any tuning done as this is just a preliminary to upgrades being done next week so I'll know how good my results are later.

Old 01-30-2009, 09:30 PM
Trock
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I doubt he will do more than 1-2 pulls just to see the baseline. It will just tell you the before Tq/Hp not much more.

Old 01-30-2009, 09:38 PM
09StreetGlider
Road Master

Anything that I'll be able to tell from the HP/TQ curves?

Is the AFR chart printed out with all runs? I see some with and some without?

Is there any other info I can get off the run that is not typically talked about? Just figured with all that crap hooked to the scoot there would be something I'd be able to learn other than just HP/TQ curves....????

Old 01-30-2009, 10:33 PM
Keith E.
Advanced

SG are you running the stock headpipes? My local indy was going to do a baseline dyno run before a PC V install and stated that he couldn't get the sniffers past the Y. I'd be curious to know your results with or without the stock pipes. Good luck on your run tomorrow.

Thanks, Keith

Old 01-30-2009, 10:39 PM
09StreetGlider
Road Master

running the stock headpipes. Is yours a California model...with CAT? Hopefully I don't have the same problem.

103" Flat Top Pistons, Stock Cams, HD Stage 1 A/C, SE Mufflers, Stock Headpipes.

Upgrades after baseline dyno: Jackpot dynotuned mufflers, PCV with Autotune

Will let you know on this thread what the results are.

Old 01-31-2009, 03:21 AM
hpfatboy
Banned
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Lightbulb

You shouldnt have to ask anything, he should be the one telling YOU every thing you need to know. That is, if he's a good tech. HE SHOULD GIVE YOU A REPORT ON ALL THE FINDINGS.

Old 01-31-2009, 04:43 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,866 Likes on 2,429 Posts

Originally Posted by Trock
I doubt he will do more than 1-2 pulls just to see the baseline. It will just tell you the before Tq/Hp not much more.
You should also get air/fuel ratio. When you have completed your mods this is what the dyno man will use to fine tune your setup to help give you the best performance.

Ask him if you can watch what he does when running your bike and learn from that.

Old 01-31-2009, 07:46 AM
craigcrewcheif
Tourer
Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Don't understand exactly what you are looking for. After you get a baseline and decide on your upgrades and do the Dyno again are you going to remove those upgrades if you don't get the results you expect, and then Dyno again? A stage 1 will only take you so far, and your tuner should be able to tell you almost exactly where your numbers will be with no engine work on a new bike.

Old 01-31-2009, 07:52 AM
TODDNVAL
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Keith E.
SG are you running the stock headpipes? My local indy was going to do a baseline dyno run before a PC V install and stated that he couldn't get the sniffers past the Y. I'd be curious to know your results with or without the stock pipes. Good luck on your run tomorrow.

Thanks, Keith
My tuner couldn't get the sniffer past the Y either, he had to take out the O2 sensor and use the wideband sensor and do each cylinder.

Old 01-31-2009, 07:56 AM
Heathen
Tourer

Originally Posted by craigcrewcheif
Don't understand exactly what you are looking for. After you get a baseline and decide on your upgrades and do the Dyno again are you going to remove those upgrades if you don't get the results you expect, and then Dyno again? A stage 1 will only take you so far, and your tuner should be able to tell you almost exactly where your numbers will be with no engine work on a new bike.
+1 Your tuner should know roughly the numbers to expect with your combo,and probably help you get max performance for your dollar.

Quick Reply: Dyno Run: Getting the most out of it?