Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dyno Run: Getting the most out of it?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2009, 11:28 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by 09StreetGlider
My map from FM may not be as good of a base map as it could be because Jamie doesn't have any 09 103" maps. I think he is giving me a treaked 08 map. So I can see the possibility of needed a bit further tweking on the dyno...maybe. Depends on how well the auto tune works.
I mentioned this on another thread, but the base map is really irrelevant. AT will change the base map to suit its targets and the final result will be the same. You can even enter a zeroed base map and AT will still tune to the same end result. The goal is to satisfy the target AFR's, and the base map values are just a starting point.

The only reason I might be concerned about the base map is if you decide to install a switch to toggle between open- and closed-loop, which IMO is a very effective tool. It's too late to discuss this tonight, but I mentioned the value of the switch in my earlier write-up about my install. Even then I don't think it would matter much, as the use of open-loop mode would be to cool the bike down in very hot weather if you've leaned the cruise range in the Target AFR tables, and you would use that mode only temporarily.

However, the main question I had was if the tunner....if necessary....would be able to get the sniffer through the Jackpots and far enough into the headpipe to get precise readings? He was unable to get it through the SE's I have now and wasn't confident the numbers for AFR were precise.
I don't know about this and I don't think this is particularly relevant either. The sniffer will tell you the AFR but won't affect the tabulation of HP and TQ numbers. I would think that if the sniffer was anywhere inside the muffler it would give a sufficient AFR reading, but I'm not sure about that. I would call Jamie or Keith and talk with them about it, but the right Jackpot (Dyno-Tuned version) has a straight-through 2.0" baffle with no obstructions. The left is a 1.75" baffle with a 3/4" reversion cone installed near the front, and the sniffer may have a problem getting past the cone if it needs to go up that far. I hope you ordered the Dyno-tuned Jackpot mufflers and not the Classics with the conventional baffle design. There's a big difference between the two, as I've had both and can testify to this.

Last edited by iclick; 01-31-2009 at 11:31 PM.
Old 01-31-2009, 11:42 PM
09StreetGlider
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by iclick
AT will change the base map to suit its targets and the final result will be the same. You can even enter a zeroed base map and AT will still tune to the same end result.
Wow. I don't think I realized the AT was that good. That's good news. I'll give it a little while...week or two...then I'll just schedule a run for numbers again. Should be plenty.

Originally Posted by iclick
I hope you ordered the Dyno-tuned Jackpot mufflers and not the Classics with the conventional baffle design. There's a big difference between the two, as I've had both and can testify to this.
I did order the Dyno-tuned. Can't wait till Monday!!!!! Dang UPS for not delivering on Sat., If I'd ordered 1 day earlier I wouldn't be wasting time on this 'puter right now!

Later!