Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HOGTUNES Upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2009, 10:40 AM
cHiLi_11
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation HOGTUNES Upgrade?

I don't want to spend a lot of money on my stereo, or get crazy with the custom stuff. All I am looking to do is play something that is a touch cleaner at high volumes. Will the HOGTUNES upgraded speakers do the job? I notice you can only get the amp with the 4 speaker set.

Nick

Old 01-30-2009, 10:45 AM
09StreetGlider
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just went with the 2 front speakers for my 09 SG. It will give you exactly what you are looking for! I'm very pleased. No amp required for me. I had to turn down the auto volume control on mine! Got too loud for me when rollin down the road.

Old 01-30-2009, 11:38 AM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by cHiLi_11
I don't want to spend a lot of money on my stereo, or get crazy with the custom stuff. All I am looking to do is play something that is a touch cleaner at high volumes. Will the HOGTUNES upgraded speakers do the job? I notice you can only get the amp with the 4 speaker set.

Nick
I started with the HT speakers, which was an upgrade worth the $90 I paid for them. A year later I added the amp with the same speakers, and for $217 it too was worth the upgrade cost. I recently spent $25 on the DynaXorb Speaker Kit, and that was an amazing improvement for so little money.

I thought the stock system sounded acceptable at first, but once I started upgrading I realized how emaciated and tinny it really sounds. You can do the upgrades I've done for about $330 which I think is worth the money. It still won't sound like your $2000 home-theater setup in the den and I'm sure there are better upgrade options out there (Hawg Wired, etc.), but I have a finite supply of money and sometimes must show restraint, hard as it may be at times.

Old 01-30-2009, 01:42 PM
wildeano
Tourer

I contacted pez by e-mail and he quoted me 315 for 2 speakers and amp, just waiting on tax refund. I figured that since i have to remove front fairing i just as well do it all while i had it off. Other wise i would just put the speakers in and later i would be saying i wish i would have got the amp too. Then i would have to order it and cause myself double the work.......

Attached Thumbnails HOGTUNES Upgrade?-lion-rapture.jpg  
Old 01-30-2009, 01:44 PM
jon1972s
Intermediate

HAwg wired is the way to go, IMHO i just put in their speakers and amp, but seeing as were talking speakers they were pricey but great sound they are not coaxial like hogtunes, they are component speakers with tthe tweeter on bridge over the mid range speaker and came with a crossover. So you get the highs and lows completly seperated where as with a coaxial speaker you have 2 speakers with a resistor to seperate the highs and lows which is way better than stock. (stock speaker has a tiny magnet and i mean tiny). I also had a great experience with hawg wired as my delivery was stolen off my porch and they payed attention to a few things and helped get my order back from the douchebag that stole it. On a scale of 1-10 i give them a 10. If you order from them tell them you read a good review from Jon from Amesbury, MA they will know who i am. Nothing in it for me except good sound.

Old 01-30-2009, 06:16 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by wildeano
I contacted pez by e-mail and he quoted me 315 for 2 speakers and amp, just waiting on tax refund. I figured that since i have to remove front fairing i just as well do it all while i had it off. Other wise i would just put the speakers in and later i would be saying i wish i would have got the amp too. Then i would have to order it and cause myself double the work.......
While you're in there, install the DynaXorb pads. They're $25 here (the best price I found). It makes a big difference by controlling sound waves that are bouncing around inside your fairing and distorting the sound.

Old 01-30-2009, 06:33 PM
EGlideKid
Road Master

Hey Chili,
I was kind of looking for the same thing you are. I put Hogtunes in all 4 speaker holes and... wow, what a nice difference over stock. I'm leaving mine alone... I don't need an amp now. Much cleaner, better highs and much better lows, without all the nasty midrange of the stock speakers.
Try em you like em.

Old 01-30-2009, 06:56 PM
Greyboat
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I put Hogtunes speakers in my Ultra and I have been very happy. I love having music, hated the stockers but I did not want to spend an outrageous amount of money. I think the speakers are a great upgrade on their own without adding an amp. Maybe I will run into someone that has the amp or has gone the Hawg Wired route and then I could see if the extra money is worth it.

Old 01-30-2009, 07:18 PM
MdTIGwelder
Advanced
Default speakers

jon1972's, i went to the hawg wired web site and they had quite a few kit#s, which one did you get? Thanks,Vaughn

Old 01-30-2009, 07:22 PM
scooter_trash_1
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Man am I glad that the Hog tunes speakers are getting good reviews, I've got a set but havent done the install yet..Thanks too for the Dynaxorb tip I'll be sure to get that for the install as well...Scooter

Quick Reply: HOGTUNES Upgrade?