Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ipod or XM radio?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2009, 01:30 PM
bjryman
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a XM mounting installed on my ride to hold the Delphi radio that was installed in my auto. Just swapped them in and out. It was great..only in dense tree lined forest could I not get good reception.

Then, this Christmas I got a Garmin Zumo 550 and I now have GPS, XM and MP3 player all hooked into the bikes electric system and AUX port. It's fantastic and allowed me to put a cup holder on the other handle bar

Here's a pic of the installation

Old 01-30-2009, 01:31 PM
gilbos440rt
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had a sirius setup and loved the music but in the area I'm in the reception just wasn't good enough, plus I ride the blue ridge a lot and the reception was the worst there! Got an I-pod 3 gen now and love it! My 2005 Road Glide won't play mp3's so that wasn't an option for me.

Attached Thumbnails Ipod or XM radio?-xxxracingsfattie3rdgen3-2.jpg   Ipod or XM radio?-cablereadyvertabrae.jpg  

Last edited by gilbos440rt; 01-30-2009 at 01:38 PM.
Old 01-30-2009, 01:39 PM
hoosierhog88
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok... here's my .02 cents worth.

I like XM really well. I have an XM Nanno, which is an iPod looking XM radio. I love it and it works great. I can listen to "live" XM, or press the "mode" key and listen to hours and hours of XM music that I have recorded.

Now for the downside. XM is getting ready to raise prices and also start charging for on-line listening which has been free for years. I've tried to get promotional rates, but they won't budge. I pay about $65 bucks a quarter for my radio and for my son's.

But as for programming and overall listening enjoyment, I'd do XM over an iPod any day of the week. I've had Sirius too and much prefer XM.

Old 01-30-2009, 02:21 PM
Wassup8687
Club Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been using the ZUMO 550 plugged into the stereo to play MP3's when I get tired of the local radio stations.

Old 01-30-2009, 02:25 PM
HDRider2002
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by timvan
Neither

a Zumo 450/550 and a xm ant, that with the 4gb card gives you "ipod" xm, nav, nav traffic, weather
+1 on teh Zumo. One of the best things i ever purchased for my bike. Was headed to DC when i first got it, all 2 lane back roads, through the mtns, and i was the only one that was getting any radio reception

Old 01-30-2009, 03:29 PM
Rhonda
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by gilbos440rt
I had a sirius setup and loved the music but in the area I'm in the reception just wasn't good enough, plus I ride the blue ridge a lot and the reception was the worst there! Got an I-pod 3 gen now and love it! My 2005 Road Glide won't play mp3's so that wasn't an option for me.
Could you tell me more about your ipod set up? Do you buy a regular ipod and buy something else to hook it up to your motorcycle like you have there or what? Thanks!

Old 01-30-2009, 04:44 PM
08HD
Road Captain

IPOD is THE best way to go.
1. Purchase IPOD (at least a 4gig)
2. Download ITUNES to your computer which will allow you to add all music on your computer to ITUNES and you can download albums from ITUNES store to the ITUNES Library.

You can add music that you desire to the IPOD and make as many playlists as you like to play and what you want to play. Also there is PODCAST which is categorically organized that you can listen to everything from politics, religion, news, comedy, sports etc. and alot of this stuff is totally free. Personally I have about 7 different Podcast that I listen to. My IPOD keeps the 3 most recent of each podcast and it will automatically download more every time I sync the IPOD as I listen the ones that are already on the IPOD. If I do not finish listening it will automatically start me at the exact point I left off when I return to that particular PODCAST. My wife was a little apprehensive at first when I got one and when she finally got one it changed her life when it comes to music. Just my 2Pennies...

Old 01-30-2009, 05:07 PM
jmeyer58
Road Captain
Received 87 Likes on 56 Posts

The ipod is nice but I prefer the XM. I can ride from Chicago to LA and back and not have to listen to the same song more than 3 times on the entire trip. I have the XM Roady and with the touch of a button I have the ability to choose from 24 different presets. That being said, you do loose reception when driving next to a cliff or something that blocks the view of the sky. Not a big problem but it is there.

Old 01-30-2009, 08:45 PM
gilbos440rt
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Having an older bike the Nano worked for me when I couldn't get good reception with my sirius, You can run the wires (It's just an 1/8 mini plug cord you can get at Radio Shack) along the bottom of your bars down to the center then find the best way to hide them then just pop the plug up close to the aux port on your radio and you have it hooked up, easier to do than to explain lol! There's a lot of nice mounts out there, Those pics in my last post were some my fav's

Old 01-30-2009, 09:14 PM
gpp
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

with the ipod you can listen to your own music at times when the xm isnt picking up very well.with the xm when its picking up real good you get to listen to elvis all you want.so get both,it just doesnt get any better.

Quick Reply: Ipod or XM radio?