Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HID upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2009, 05:56 AM
cHiLi_11
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation HID upgrade?

So I want to upgrade my 08 Street Glide to an HID headlight, however I do not care for the factory look on the HID kit Harley has so offer. If I want to choose an aftermarket company, who hands down is the best the to with? This is a company someone recommended me. If any of you have any experience with this light please let me know, thanks.

http://www.motorcyclemetal.com/gpage12.html

Nick

Old 01-30-2009, 06:49 AM
Sheep
Tourer

Originally Posted by cHiLi_11
So I want to upgrade my 08 Street Glide to an HID headlight, however I do not care for the factory look on the HID kit Harley has so offer. If I want to choose an aftermarket company, who hands down is the best the to with? This is a company someone recommended me. If any of you have any experience with this light please let me know, thanks.

http://www.motorcyclemetal.com/gpage12.html

Nick

Just me I'd have doubts about a company making lights that don't know the passing lamps turn off on high beam unless rewired. They do know somethign doesn't work they just couldn't formulate correctly enough mentally to get it written down correctly. It'd also bother me just a bit that they are selling a "Dual" light unit and they can't spell a 4-letter word.

That said it could be a great unit. If I was going after market though I'd be looking for a dual bulb unit rather than a single bulb with a shutter. YMMV.

Old 01-30-2009, 07:47 AM
edellavedova
Cruiser

I've worked with Howard from Motorcycle metal and his products are excellent. Further, Howard is a great guy and very easy to work with.

Old 01-30-2009, 07:51 AM
HDUltraRider
Banned

I upgraded with Howards HID from Motorcycle Metals and got great service from Howard the install was plug and play and a breeze took less then 1/2 hour. The difference in visibility is truly amazing. Only think is I had the HD Garage door opener which no longer works with the balist and relay in line. Although I feel that is a smal price to pay for safety.

Of course add some Motolights along with the HID and you can see like it is daylight (almost) and people will see you coming like a mac truck.

Old 01-30-2009, 08:11 AM
FLTR2008TRIKE
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I got one of Howards HID light kit in my 08 Roadglide. Hes top notch to deal with and his kit is easy to install

Old 01-30-2009, 09:41 AM
Chicago Spike
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes, Howards kits are great, but as said, if you have the HD remote garage door opener on your bike, it won't work after you install the HID. Something about the electrical field around the ballasts that interfere with the garage opener. Some have said to put aluminum foil around the ballasts to make the opener work. I haven't tried this

Old 01-30-2009, 10:24 AM
cHiLi_11
Cruiser

Thanks for the response guys. Anyone else think I should consider a light other than the motorcycle metal HID kit?

Nick

Old 01-30-2009, 12:58 PM
HEMSPLT
Cruiser

I have Howard's setup on my 08 Road Glide. I had to work through some technical issues but all is well. I have been told my bike looks like a train coming down the road. It's interesting that the lights are very bright but if you have them adjusted properly nobody will flash you. With the highbeams on you can see at least 600 feet down the the road, which is plenty of time to stop. On low beam I am comfortable riding at 70 and 80 on desert back roads.

Old 01-30-2009, 01:27 PM
shvlrydr
Cruiser

i installed Howard's kit last year. during install i had a problem, called Howard and he walked me through what i had done wrong. he even called me back the next day to insure i was still happy and enjoying trouble free operation of the HID kit. great guy...customer service is second to none. once you install, just beware of varmints on the road...you will burn their retina's out so they tend to wander a bit.Dan