Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dunlop Elite 3's on a 2007?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2009 | 08:18 AM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by LUBA
So is the mu90b16 E3 bigger than the stock rear tire on a 08 SG? I am going to order just don't know if I want the mu or the 160?
It's .06" wider, .01" taller.

Old 05-26-2009 | 08:32 AM
XTrooper3936
Road Warrior
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by nvsteve
The MU90, because it is a bit taller, also got my speedo/odo to be nearly spot on.
Ditto. This is a nice added benefit. My speedometer is nearly dead-on with the zumo 550 GPS unit now.

Old 05-26-2009 | 08:39 AM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by skratch

i know lp showed pics of the different sizes, but i feel that unless the tire is actually mounted on a rim, then pics only tell half the story. and since i never ride 2 up, the increased load rating on the 160 is not necessary for me.
I showed a few pics of it on the rim too. Around here somewhere.

I'll stay with the 160. I have 40 bucks for a higher load rating and overall better looking tire. But I understand what you're saying. Wide tires are not all that important in the grand scheme of things. But they do look sexy! Get asked about it all the time...

lp

Last edited by lp; 05-26-2009 at 08:48 AM.
Old 05-26-2009 | 10:06 AM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member

with my luck, the spacers would be different and it wouldn't fit on my bike....

Old 05-26-2009 | 11:55 AM
LUBA
Cruiser

What bike do you have it on lp? I have a stock 08 sg and weigh about 300+ plus at times ride with my girlfriend. I usually run 25 psi in the rear shocks. How many miles do you have on it and has it rubbed ever? Thanks.

Old 06-01-2009 | 07:18 AM
rwhite15
Novice

what size is the elite 3 you have on your 2007 ultra classic,it looks like what i have been looking for.I have a 2007 ultra classic and would like to put as wide a tire as i can on the back. thanks

Old 06-01-2009 | 07:27 AM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by LUBA
What bike do you have it on lp? I have a stock 08 sg and weigh about 300+ plus at times ride with my girlfriend. I usually run 25 psi in the rear shocks. How many miles do you have on it and has it rubbed ever? Thanks.
It's on my wifes 07 SG. It rubbed at the top of the fender when I lowered the bike another inch. This is with the already lowered SG shocks attached so it was close to two inches total - lowered. So...don't do that! Once I removed the lowering blocks it was/is fine.

As far as rubbing on the sides...No.. none, zip nada. It fits fine and looks just a wee bit wider than stock.

lp

Old 06-07-2009 | 02:36 PM
Watchfuliz
Road Captain

Well, I put on a complete set of E3's on my 08 Ultra the day before I left on a trip out west. Having rode bikes for almost 40 years, I know putting on a complete set of tires on any bike will make it ride and handle better, but at 3000 miles in 10 days I can honestly tell you I love the E3's! My Ultra feels like it has power steering and tracks great.......ie no butt wobble, we had rain most every day too. Tar snakes are a different matter, but that happens no matter what tire you have.

I am posting this because I had an in and out puncture on the rear tire before I got home from the trip. I had to call roadside assistance and they hauled my bike to Tripps HD in Amarillo. They would not patch the tire,$$$$, you know how it is. They would only replace it with the OEM tire. 300 feet from the dealership and I knew without any doubt, I hate the OEM tire!

I saw no real sign of wear on the E3 after 3K miles either. I am planning on another long trip in August to Glacier NP from Louisiana. There will be a new E3 on my bike before I go......oh and a plug kit which I bought when I left Tripps. Now I am looking at getting and engine pump for air. I just wish I could have found the hole in the other tire before I had to replace it, but it was hard to find since it was an in and out puncture. I have plugged tires in the past without it ever being a problem and will do it again.

Last edited by Watchfuliz; 06-07-2009 at 02:40 PM.
Old 06-07-2009 | 02:54 PM
LUBA
Cruiser

Well I bought the 160 and mounted it on the rim will install in bike tommorrow when my Z+ pads arrive.

Old 06-07-2009 | 05:07 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by Watchfuliz
I am posting this because I had an in and out puncture on the rear tire before I got home from the trip. I had to call roadside assistance and they hauled my bike to Tripps HD in Amarillo. They would not patch the tire,$$$$, you know how it is. They would only replace it with the OEM tire.
I always carry a typical plug kit with me as well as a small electric pump that plugs into the cig ligher. Buy the plug kit with the reamer and glue along with the plugs and installer tool. These have gotten me out of a fix numerous times and I wouldn't ride out of my driveway without both in my saddlebag. Walmart should have the pumps as well as the plug kit.

Some warn against plugs but I've used them for years in car and MC tires and never had a problem. IMO there's no reason to replace a tire for a typical nail puncture that can be easy and reliably repaired. Do it right and ream it out with the tool provided and use the glue on the plug.

Quick Reply: Dunlop Elite 3's on a 2007?