Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dunlop Elite 3's on a 2007?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2009 | 11:19 AM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by toolman44092
Anyone know if the new Dunlop Elite 3's will fit a 2007 touring bike?
The MU90-16 E3 is .01" taller and .06" wider than a stock MU85-16 D402 and fits perfectly on an '07. At least one person here has fitted a 160/80-16 on the back of an EG, but with .75" additional height I wouldn't try this unless I was sure about clearance with shocks shorter than 13" (SG is 12", mine are 12½"). The cop bikes should have standard 13" air shocks. As for the front I'm replacing the MT90-16 on the front of my '07 SG with a like-size E3.

I've had the E3 on the rear of my SG for about eight months and 9k miles now and tread depth measures 6/32", a tad above half the tread remaining compared to new (11/32"). If this trend holds I'll get 17-18k on this rear tire, which is much better than the 10k I was able to get out of each D402 I've had mounted. Performance is excellent wet or dry and I don't see a downside to these tires unless you want WW, which isn't available.

Last edited by iclick; 01-30-2009 at 11:25 AM.
Old 01-30-2009 | 12:26 PM
Black Flag
Tourer

This is from a July 28, 2008 H-D press release.

The (2009 Touring Model) wheel-and-tire package is updated, with front wheel diameter increased to 17 inches from 16 inches (except for the Road King Classic) while the width of the 16-inch rear wheel is increased to five inches from three inches. All Touring models will be equipped with new Dunlop D407 Multi-Tread rear tires that offer up to 25 percent more rear-tire tread life. The wider rear wheel accommodates a new 180/65-16 rear tire. The new front tire is a 130/80-17. Front and rear suspension has been recalibrated to match the dynamics of the new chassis, wheels and tires.

So, are the Elite 3's different from the NEW D407's? And, if so, are the NEW D407's available in sizes compatible to earlier touring models?

Old 01-31-2009 | 11:51 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by Black Flag
So, are the Elite 3's different from the NEW D407's? And, if so, are the NEW D407's available in sizes compatible to earlier touring models?
The D407 doesn't even show up on Dunlop's site, nor are they listed on Ron Ayers' site, a popular mail-order outfit. Thus, you may be locked into HD for these tires, which is a major bummer if you want good prices.

The front D407's won't fit, as HD doesn't list any 16" varieties. They do show a 180/65B16 rear that might fit with some mods. A few weeks or months ago someone posted about stuffing one of these tires under an older fender, but it required some mods. IIRC he shimmed the fender to pull it apart and make it wider, which sounds a bit radical to me. Doing this might stress the metal and cause cracks later.

I'll stick with the MU90-16 E3 until I get more word about fitment of the lower-profile E3 that's available, a 160/80-16 I think. Being 3/4" taller than stock I would be worried about clearance with shocks lower than 13".

Old 02-01-2009 | 05:46 AM
frydaddy96
Cruiser

I e-mailed Dunlop late last year to see if they were going to be making the new compund tires in sizes to fit '08 and older bikes, response was No plans for the immediate future.

Old 02-01-2009 | 11:32 AM
Black Flag
Tourer

Thanks iclick and frydaddy. My younger brother just bought a 2009 Road Glide (orange) and--of course--has the D407's.

Since I have burned through three D402 rear tires in 30K miles (still on the origional front tire) he suggested I look for this new Multi Tread tire as I am planning on replacing both tires soon.

I am anxious about the bias ply construction of the Elite 3 and wonder how that will affect handling. Perhaps you would comment on other impressions besides longer life?

Thanks again for sharing your thoughts.

Old 02-01-2009 | 12:03 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by Black Flag
Thanks iclick and frydaddy. My younger brother just bought a 2009 Road Glide (orange) and--of course--has the D407's.

Since I have burned through three D402 rear tires in 30K miles (still on the origional front tire) he suggested I look for this new Multi Tread tire as I am planning on replacing both tires soon.

I am anxious about the bias ply construction of the Elite 3 and wonder how that will affect handling. Perhaps you would comment on other impressions besides longer life?

Thanks again for sharing your thoughts.
Glad I could help. I know of no one running radial tires on HD's, so bias tires are what you have to choose from. I can say that in 9K miles of riding with an E3 on the rear that handling is not diminished compared to the two D402's I had on this bike and about eight I mounted on my old RK. I had no handling issues with the stock HD tire, having ridden through 33 states in all types of weather and conditions--including rain, hail, sleet, and one tropical storm.

Anyway, I feel confident with the E3 after about nine months of running. It is sticky in dry and wet, and I don't putt around in corners. Two of my friends have BMW's and I often have to really boogie to keep up with them in the twisties. I don't hotdog around in the rain, but I also have no issues with this tire when wet. I already have a front E3 waiting to be mounted once my present D402 wears out in about another 7-8k.

Another note about the E3 is that they don't follow rain grooves and tar strips like the D402 does. This behavior never bothered me too much and I don't consider it unsafe, but having the tire track straight is a better idea.

The E3 was originally designed for the Gold Wing, so before buying my first E3 I checked the GW forums for info. The responses were almost unanimously positive for this tire, which I consider gospel since the GW is a single-purpose touring bike and riders often ride far and wide in all types of weather. Since then I've noticed more and more HD riders mounting this tire, and I've heard no negative comments about it in this community either.

But durability is this tire's biggest selling point. It appears that I will get 75% or more tire wear on this first E3 compared to the first two D402's I had mounted on the rear of this bike.

Old 02-01-2009 | 12:12 PM
JonnyD
Outstanding HDF Member

So what's the deal with the elite 3's? I'm going to be doing tires on the bike before summer because the stockers suck. How do these compare to the other liked tires, avon, metzeler, etc, etc.?

Old 02-01-2009 | 02:09 PM
molsen
Road Master

From talking to the Dunlop rep at York, the E3 is desinged to take on the Avon and Metzler. They did a couple of diffrent things to make it unique. However be carful because some of the E3 are not load rated like the d402, that is what the rep told me. D407s Dunlop cannot keep up with production, so at this point it does not look like a retro trie will be made, but you never know with what the state of affairs are. Plus Dunlop motorcycle tires are made in my back yard in Tonawanda, NY.

Old 02-01-2009 | 03:27 PM
dxrich
Cruiser

yes toolman, I fogot to say that I changed to an 18" from wheel. I went with the HD roadwinder. the rear is still a 16"

Old 02-01-2009 | 05:08 PM
bigskyhd
Seasoned HDF Member

I love my Elite 3's. I've been through all the other Metz, Avons, Dunlop 402's. I think you'll be pleased. Great prices from Ron Ayers, and Dennis Kirk

Quick Reply: Dunlop Elite 3's on a 2007?