Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New law on the table for New Hampshire

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2009, 08:58 AM
O-O
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry New law on the table for New Hampshire

Found this while looking around dosent sound to good for those living in new hampshire. dont know if this was posted before but here it is. New Hampshire house bill 95

STATE OF NEW HAMPSHIRE

In the Year of Our Lord Two Thousand Nine

AN ACT relative to motorcycle equipment and noise levels.

Be it Enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives in General Court convened:

1 New Paragraph; Motorcycle Muffler Modifications. Amend RSA 266:59 by inserting after paragraph IV the following new paragraph:

V.(a) No person shall modify the exhaust system of a motorcycle in any manner.

(b) No person shall drive on a way a motorcycle that has after market equipment installed to replace the muffler.

(c) Any person who violates the provisions of this paragraph shall be guilty of a violation and shall be fined not less than $100 nor more than $500.

2 Motorcycle Noise Levels. Amend RSA 266:59-a to read as follows:

266:59-a Motorcycle Noise Levels.

I. No person shall operate a motorcycle which has a measured noise level of more than [106] 95 decibels on the decibel meter when measured 20 inches from the exhaust pipe at a 45 degree angle while the engine is operating at 2,800 revolutions per minute for one and 2 cylinder motorcycles and 3,500 revolutions per minute for any motorcycle with 3 or more cylinders.

II. No person shall pass for the purposes of the inspection required by RSA 266:1 any motorcycle which has a measured noise level of more than [106] 95 decibels on the decibel meter when measured 20 inches from the exhaust pipe at a 45 degree angle while the engine is operating at 2,800 revolutions per minute for one and 2 cylinder motorcycles and 3,500 revolutions per minute for any motorcycle with 3 or more cylinders.

II-a. No person shall operate in this state any motorcycle which produces a sound level in excess of [106] 95 decibels on the A scale, when measured in accordance with the provisions of the Society of Automotive Engineers Recommended Practice ANSI/SAE J-1287 annual report on Measurement of Exhaust Sound Levels of Stationary Motorcycles.

III. Any person who violates the provisions of this section shall be guilty of a violation and shall be fined not less than $100 nor more than [$300] $500.

3 New Section; Equipment of Vehicles; Motorcycles; Tachometer. Amend RSA 266 by inserting after section 77 the following new section:

266:77-a Tachometer. No person shall drive on a way a motorcycle without a functioning tachometer. Any person who violates the provisions of this section shall be guilty of a violation and shall be fined not less than $100 nor more than $500.

4 Effective Date. This act shall take effect January 1, 2010.

Old 01-28-2009, 09:03 AM
omgtkk
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If this passes, you can say good-bye to Laconia. That rally has been having hard times the past few years from poor weather anyhow. Now, if the cops are able to ticket just about everyone who attends, then I can't see too many people making the trip. This is one of the most restrictive noise laws I've seen proposed so far. 95 db is pretty quiet.

Old 01-28-2009, 09:10 AM
Apex Rider
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

"266:77-a Tachometer. No person shall drive on a way a motorcycle without a functioning tachometer. Any person who violates the provisions of this section shall be guilty of a violation and shall be fined not less than $100 nor more than $500."

There are a lot of bikes that don't come with a tach.My RKC being one of them.

I think the purpose of requiring a tach is to assist the noise police in carrying out their tests,i.e.,2,800 & 3,500 rpm tests.

Old 01-28-2009, 09:14 AM
Frankie-FLHXI
Road Master

i can't believe they will shoot themselves in the foot like that

Old 01-28-2009, 09:18 AM
Bluegrasser
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1. I hate laws like this. Too many liberal Massachussets wussies moving into NH making too many wussy laws.

2. I lived just off Main Street in downtown Nashua for 6 years. The douchebags that would cruise up and down Main all day with their loud pipes would use the round-about right outside my window to turn around. Without fail they would gun it so they could hurry and get back out on Main for more posing. I basically couldn't even hold a conversation in my house or watch TV due to the noise. If people would be at least a little considerate about their surroundings maybe the law wouldn't be introduced. Still think the law is a bunch of BS, though.

Old 01-28-2009, 09:24 AM
rkride
Cruiser

Makes me glad that I don't live in New Hampshire. By the sounds of it, you won't even be allowed to drive through the state if you have loud pipes or no tach. Really can't see how they can enforce the no tach issue if allot of bikes are coming off the line without a tach

Old 01-28-2009, 09:29 AM
Theakerr
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It will be interesting to see how they deal with vintage and obsolete models. For example a 94 BMW R100RT or a very early wing where the aftermarket mufflers are the standard and which in most cases meet or are better than the original.

Old 01-28-2009, 09:31 AM
mcrider1
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

I hope it passes. The Feds definitely need to do something about our National Parks. I was in Yellowstone National Park taking it all in at an overlook on my quiet stock bike. Then, I hear a thunderous roar, and 3 guys with straight pipes come out across the valley. I could hear them for miles.

Old 01-28-2009, 09:33 AM
GaryP
Advanced

rode through NH last summer on my RKC, no tach and V&H fishtails, there should be a sticky post on state laws. being from Canada I would have never known this.

Old 01-28-2009, 09:34 AM
sniper77
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You get the gov't you ask for.......

The fellow's story about loud pipes reminds me of a woman that was complaining in the local paper about how she was tricked when she signed a lease on the apartment she was living in: she claimed they didn't tell her the train went by three times every night and sounded it's horn for several minutes right outside her window on the other side of the tree line. She said the train was so close it rattled the dishes in her cabinets..............

......the name of the apartments was Iron Horse Apartments

....or relate to the people that move to the suburbs and complain about the smell of a local dairy or pig farm......

..............people, like the ones I mention above, are the problem because they will complain to their politicians while the people that make the noise or create the smell go about their lives without paying attention to what these morons are trying to push onto them.

......all I can say about ABATE in New Hampshire is; they didn't recruit enough members to counter the whiners they were surrounded by.

Quick Reply: New law on the table for New Hampshire