Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New law on the table for New Hampshire

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2009, 03:57 PM
Rick5150
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Isn't this exactly what causes the laws to tighten in on us?

I am not necessarily referring to anyone in particular here, either:

1) Biker does not listen to anyone without a badge, and behaves as he or she feels is appropiate.

2) Those without a badge get fed up by bikers behavior and write to the right people. If the biker(s) have pissed off enough people, the numbers can be substantial;

3) Action is taken to enact a law prohibiting the "offensive" behavior.

4) Law passes. All bikers suffer. Not that louder pipes are necessary, but we all lose the option to choose what we want for ourselves.

It is not fear that motivates most of us. It is the ability to have the foresight to see the consequences of our actions, before they happen, then decide if it is really that important.

If it is, more power to you.

Old 01-29-2009, 06:41 PM
greginNH
Road Master

Well said Rick!

Old 01-29-2009, 07:00 PM
atrain68
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Stupidity, plain and simple. I vote for a small government focuses on the basics and one that stays out of the peoples day to day business. I hope you guys are ringing your legislatures phones off the hook.

Old 02-12-2009, 06:11 AM
nhbiker1961
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, I think what will happen, is they will find a better way of testing the loudness of the bike without having tachs being put on all bikes, and making after market pipes illegal. This would be bad for the economy, also this would be discrimination, because this law should also apply to all motor vehicles, not just bikes. I don't think the law will pass,I think they will just find a better way of addressing the bikes that go over the top with their pipes. I know with my bike, I changed the pipes for performance and heat issues, I will not go back to the stock pipes,if this law was passed and enforced, I live in New Hampshire, but I am 3 miles from the Maine border, and I will ride in Maine. When Maine changes it's laws, I will trade the Harley for a boat!

Old 02-12-2009, 06:54 AM
OnTheFence
Tourer

Originally Posted by gmc
rev her up every chance you get and then blame the law.
I think you identified the biggest part of the problem with that statement. In my little burgh the Townies follow the same path for hours on end revving away. In and out of the neighborhood every 15 minutes. Revving on decel, revving at a stop light. And one final throttle goose in the garage before shutting it off.

I followed a few gents through the local twisties last summer, and was amused by the fact that they revved before downshifting for the tight curves.

It will be those folks getting all the tickets. The normal Joe who rides respectfully through town and neighborhoods will sneak by with loud pipes.

Old 02-12-2009, 07:24 AM
IronLegend
Tourer

When I got my used RK it had, and still has, the H-D SE11 mufflers on it. The original owner was a civilian employee with the RCMP and worked in some capacity overseeing their motorcycle fleet in Ottawa and he's the one who had the SE11's installed.

As part of the deal when I bought this bike from the dealer was to have them supply a set of original mufflers just in the event they had to be switched-out. Looks like that time may be arriving sooner than later and and I'll be ready, not that I want to but what do you do.

Old 02-12-2009, 07:27 AM
RODEO
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by nhbiker1961
Well, I think what will happen, is they will find a better way of testing the loudness of the bike without having tachs being put on all bikes, and making after market pipes illegal. This would be bad for the economy, also this would be discrimination, because this law should also apply to all motor vehicles, not just bikes. I don't think the law will pass,I think they will just find a better way of addressing the bikes that go over the top with their pipes. I know with my bike, I changed the pipes for performance and heat issues, I will not go back to the stock pipes,if this law was passed and enforced, I live in New Hampshire, but I am 3 miles from the Maine border, and I will ride in Maine. When Maine changes it's laws, I will trade the Harley for a boat!
A Boat with "open headers" at or above the water line no doubt? That too will be legislated and enforced one day. Boats with open headers are the creme de' la creme of noisy exhausts and I forsee the day when all they can do is "idle" their way out to open unrestricted waters.. (Maybe not in my lifetime, but some day.) As for me, I own a V6 190HP I/O and it is relatively quiet as the exhaust is through the prop and definitely under water.

Old 02-12-2009, 07:55 AM
harley-jones
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Well..I'm glad I keep my stock pipes! They are stored in the atic now. I hope I never need to put them back on. But who knows...

Old 02-12-2009, 11:27 AM
nhbiker1961
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RODEO
A Boat with "open headers" at or above the water line no doubt? That too will be legislated and enforced one day. Boats with open headers are the creme de' la creme of noisy exhausts and I forsee the day when all they can do is "idle" their way out to open unrestricted waters.. (Maybe not in my lifetime, but some day.) As for me, I own a V6 190HP I/O and it is relatively quiet as the exhaust is through the prop and definitely under water.

Well that won't be a problem if I buy a boat, because it will be a sailboat. I still have the stock pipes and air cleaner, but on my 96CI, it ran so hot I could not stand the heat. But after the after market pipes and high air flow kit, it was much cooler. So I will sell it before I go back to the heat, low performance or honda like sound.

Old 02-12-2009, 01:54 PM
Sincecrazy
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

So in order to be in compliance one would either have to have a quiet motorcycle or a tach that could read out a faulty reading as so to not have to rev at those loud RPM's.