Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power Commander 5 and Auto Tune Info

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2009, 10:59 PM
09StreetGlider
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by iclick
Thanks for that info. For you guys with PCV's (no AT), the switch option will not work on the original firmware or recent upgrade. Dynojet says it will work for the next upgrade expected soon. It is an important feature and you guys should consider it. You can run a lean map for mileage and a richer map for those times when you need the extra cooling, and can toggle between them on the fly.

So this map switching function will work (in the future) by installing a two wire switch into the slots in the PCV right? We won't need the multi function hub or the LCD screen?

On the other hand...the LCD screen looks really cool. Anyone using it? What are the goods and bads of the LCD unit?

Old 02-07-2009, 11:13 PM
fuelmoto
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,160 Likes on 1,354 Posts

Excellent news! Customer feedback is crucial when these new products are released and with information like this we can provide better technical information and support. Also note the newest PC V software includes the map switch utility and the LCD-200 should be available in the next several weeks. Here is the latest software http://www.powercommander.com/powerc...all_v1.0.2.zip

Jamie Long / Fuel Moto USA
The USA's Leader V-Twin EFI & Performance www.fuelmotousa.com
Contact 920-423-3309
Email jamie@fuelmotousa.com

Old 02-08-2009, 08:13 PM
09StreetGlider
Road Master

The weather was awesome today. So went for a nice long ride with some friends. I didn't get to do much playing around with the autotune to get the base map fine tuned for my bike yesterday. So, I stuffed the laptop in the saddlebag and decided to tinker with it while at stops today.

I loaded Jamie's base map and took off. The bike ran just fine on that map, but I could really feel the difference as the autotune made small adjustments. At each stop, I plugged the laptop into the usb cord I keep under the seat and saved the trims to the basemap. Each time I did this I could really feel the difference. The bike now has outstanding throttle response and will run down any of the scoots in my group without a problem. I can't wait to go to the dyno to see how my numbers have changed.

The best part of all of this is all you need to know is how to turn on the laptop. I am really ignorant to the tuning process, though like many I know a good or bad one when I feel it. This PCV and Autotune really give the bike a great tune and it finally feels like it should have right out of the factory. Literally all I have to do is open the PCV software, connect the PCV, and click a box to save the Autotune Trims. Then I save the file on my laptop...just in case. 30 seconds and I'm done fooling with it.

After a few rides with the autotune I will decrease the learning settings from 20% enrichment/enleanment to 5% each. This way I wont have any major swings in tune from ride to ride. And at that point I won't have to worry about carrying the laptop and saving the trims as the PCV will already be dialed in for the bike and any trims will pretty much be specific to that days needs.

Overall, I am very impressed with this system.

Old 02-08-2009, 08:26 PM
Leonidas
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 09StreetGlider
So this map switching function will work (in the future) by installing a two wire switch into the slots in the PCV right? We won't need the multi function hub or the LCD screen?
+1 about this question...
The documentation seems to say that the map switch function will only work with the PCV. If you have the AT module the switch sets the AT into learning mode?

Is this true? is there no way to switch between 2 maps if you have AT?

Old 02-08-2009, 08:28 PM
Leonidas
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

BTW, glad you got everything sorted out 09StreetGlider, I'd love to see those dyno numbers after you get em

Old 02-08-2009, 08:42 PM
09StreetGlider
Road Master

Dyno appointment is two weeks from yesterday...Feb 21st

I want a little time to play with AT.

On the switch thing...right now I think I can hook up a switch and toggle between basemap and Autotune. What I would like to do is toggle between two different basemaps with differnt target AFR's. In my opinion this would give serious flexibility to the tune by allowing for a lean map and power map, and still let the autotune work it's majic.

So, anyone know how I can do that? Do I wait for PCV upgrade? New LCD screen?

Old 02-08-2009, 09:03 PM
fuelmoto
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,160 Likes on 1,354 Posts

Dyno appointment is two weeks from yesterday...Feb 21st

I want a little time to play with AT.

On the switch thing...right now I think I can hook up a switch and toggle between basemap and Autotune. What I would like to do is toggle between two different basemaps with differnt target AFR's. In my opinion this would give serious flexibility to the tune by allowing for a lean map and power map, and still let the autotune work it's majic.

So, anyone know how I can do that? Do I wait for PCV upgrade? New LCD screen?
What you can do is for your power map is log a session with the the richer AFR table accept the trims and write the map and use it as you base map, then load your leaner AFR table for better MPG and you can use the switch to toggle between them which works great. Also note that you do not need to apply the fuel trims when using the Auto Tune unless you want to apply them to the map as in "live" mode it will continually tune to the AFR table regardless. Once you get the leaner map written if you do not require live tuning you can disable the auto tune and enable the map switch and toggle between them as well.

Last edited by fuelmoto; 02-08-2009 at 09:07 PM.
Old 02-08-2009, 09:09 PM
Intrepid175
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

09StreetGlider, thanks for all the reports. This has been a very interesting read and I'm glad it's finally working out for you. Like many here, I'm looking forward to reading your revised dyno report. I'd also be curious to find out how all of this has effected your fuel economy if you bother to calculate it.

Ride Safe,
Steve R.

Old 02-08-2009, 09:10 PM
09StreetGlider
Road Master

Jamie, I thought the Autotune had a max learn rate without accepting the trims. Mine is set at 20% per session right now. I was under the understanding that regardless of the target AFR's that it would only adjust up to 20% from the base map at that setting. Not that I think it needs more...but just sayin. Am I way off base?

Old 02-08-2009, 10:37 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

No hub needed, just any on-off switch. When used with your AT you get open-loop (Jamie's base map) when the switch is open and closed-loop (AT) when closed. Voila! Perfect! I installed another ACC switch on my fairing insert panel and it is now my map switch. The little LED on the switch won't work since there's no 12V current moving through the switch, but that's no biggie.

Those with no AT will apparently have to wait a short time while DJ gets their act together on the switch function for it, as apparently the current firmware doesn't support it. With the PCV alone you will have (some day) the choice between two maps, and IMO this is a very powerful feature. Create a lean map for mileage and keep the richer base map for those times when you need the extra cooling, and you can toggle between them on the fly.

On the other hand...the LCD screen looks really cool. Anyone using it? What are the goods and bads of the LCD unit?
I borrowed one about a year ago and they are, well, limited. Some good info is presented on the display and you have not only two but a multitude of maps (forget how many) to choose from on the fly. I'm not sure you need more than two unless you're experimenting. The downside is that it isn't waterproof, has a cheap plastic case, and you can barely see it in daylight. For the life of me I couldn't figure out where to mount it, and the wiring inconveniently sticks out of the left side, so I velcroed it to the base of the tank near the seat. When I say it "sticks out" I mean it really sticks out. Like I mentioned, it was a loaner and I just installed it temporarily, but I don't know where you'd install one of these things on a batwing bike. If someone has done it I'd like to see a photo.

Maybe the new unit for the PCV will be better, but a DJ rep I talked with said it was the same unit but updated for the PCV. I would like to see engine temp displayed somewhere, but I don't have $300 worth of desire for it, and I could live without the rest of the features. I think if you are a high-tech freak and want everyone to know it, this is your gadget--but I can think of more useful things to buy for $300.

Last edited by iclick; 02-08-2009 at 10:45 PM.

Quick Reply: Power Commander 5 and Auto Tune Info