Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power Commander 5 and Auto Tune Info

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2009, 09:14 PM
09StreetGlider
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jamie, the Tech's name is Chris at Power Commander 1-800-992-4993 ext: 1122

He new you by name and I believe that saved me A LOT of trouble because his questions changed from the basic I'm a moron type stuff to the more complex and he went straight to the online diagnotic stuff.

Old 02-05-2009, 10:43 AM
09StreetGlider
Road Master

Auto Tune Update: Chris from Power Commander called me today as soon as he got to work...just as promised. He is shipping me an entire AT kit minus the O2 sensors and has included a call tag for me to return the AT kit that isn't working.

One thing that he wants me to try when I get home is using the spare termination plug that came with the AT kit in the open port on the PCV just to see if it works. The AT kit comes with 2 termination plugs...not the rubber caps...but only one is called for in the directions and is supposed to be installed in the open port of one of the AT modules. The second plug is not called for in the directions. So I will try and put that in later today and see if there is any change.

Regardless if that works or not the new kit is on it's way. I will use the new kit and replace one component at a time to try to diagnose the problem and let all know what I find out.

So far, I have to say that Customer support from all involved (FuelMoto, PC) has been top notch and all are enthusiastic about fixing my problem.

Just so all are aware...my bike is still rideable due to the PCV basemap from Jamie being so close. On my test ride I was unable to percieve any need for tuning by the seat of my pants. The only thing that is not working so far is the AT which I really don't need.

Will update later.

Old 02-05-2009, 11:06 AM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by 09StreetGlider
One thing that he wants me to try when I get home is using the spare termination plug that came with the AT kit in the open port on the PCV just to see if it works. The AT kit comes with 2 termination plugs...not the rubber caps...but only one is called for in the directions and is supposed to be installed in the open port of one of the AT modules. The second plug is not called for in the directions. So I will try and put that in later today and see if there is any change.
In an earlier reply I thought you said you already tried the spare terminator.

Regardless if that works or not the new kit is on it's way.
Are they also replacing the PCV or have they determined that it is definitely not the problem?

Old 02-05-2009, 11:44 AM
09StreetGlider
Road Master

ICLICK, the first time around I swapped the termination plug on the autotune module out for the spare (still only one installed and only in the spare port in the ATmodule). Now he wants me to leave that in place and plug the other one to the unused port on the PCV. Jamie doesn't think this will help but hey...I'll try anything once.

As for the PCV itself everything I/They looked at last night indicates no problems with it. They believe it is an internal problem in one of the AT modules that is preventing the O2 sensors from heating up properly.

Before PC sends my AT unit they are going to connect everything to their test bike and ensure that the AT system works and then send that unit to me...so when it gets here if I am unable to get it to work, then we will start pointing fingers at the PCV. But, no one thinks that is the problem.

Old 02-05-2009, 11:53 AM
JustDennis
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I will be following this thread. I plan on installing a PCV on my 08

Old 02-05-2009, 01:02 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by 09StreetGlider

As for the PCV itself everything I/They looked at last night indicates no problems with it. They believe it is an internal problem in one of the AT modules that is preventing the O2 sensors from heating up properly.
You can check them by turning on the ignition (without starting the bike) and feeling them. They should start to get warm after a minute or two.

Before PC sends my AT unit they are going to connect everything to their test bike and ensure that the AT system works and then send that unit to me...so when it gets here if I am unable to get it to work, then we will start pointing fingers at the PCV. But, no one thinks that is the problem.
And we anxiously await the outcome.

Old 02-05-2009, 01:59 PM
09StreetGlider
Road Master

I will check tonight to see if I can feel them getting warm before I start the bike...good idea.

So at least I have a few new things to check while I await the new AT kit.

Old 02-05-2009, 07:39 PM
09StreetGlider
Road Master

OK got home from work and went to work checking everythibg out one more time.

I carefully reseated every single wire in the AT system and this time I used dielectric grease on all of them. NOTE: it is much easier to get the bare wires into the autotune modules if they have a little dielectric grease on them.

I swapped the wires around that run from module to module, from module to PCV, and the termination plug. I also tried installing the spare termination plug into the PCV as suggested earlier.

Fired the bike up and still no change. The AFR's chage from 0.00 to 9.99 when after the ignition is turned on and stay that way after I start the motor. Tried different combinations of module wires and termination plugs and got no results. When pulling wires for the modules I can see the AFR's on the laptop change from 9.99 back to 0.00 and then back to 9.99 as soon as they are plugged back in.

So, I am out of trouble shooting steps and will have to wait until my new AT kit gets here from Power Commander.

I would like to mention that Jamie was more than willing to handle the exchange on his end, but since I was dealing with PC on the phone at the time, I decided to go ahead and let them take care of it. Few days and I should be able to figure out what went wrong.

One thing I forgot to do before I started the bike was turn the ingnition and run switch on and see if the O2 sensors got warm on their own (they are supposed to). I will try that in the morning...although it won't change the fact that they aren't working correctly.

Weather is looking good for tomorrow and this weekend so I'm going riding anyway. So far the base map seems pefectly fine to go for a spin.

I'll update when I have more!

Old 02-05-2009, 08:44 PM
Twinrider
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by iclick
Good point, and there is also a new firmware version here. It wouldn't hurt to get current on both. Make sure ignition is off when doing the firmware update.
I just bought my PCV a couple weeks ago, any way I can if my unit already has the update? Also, if I need to do it, would you be able to give easy instructions for how to proceed? My unit's working fine so I don't want to mess it up.

Old 02-05-2009, 09:04 PM
09StreetGlider
Road Master

Originally Posted by Twinrider
I just bought my PCV a couple weeks ago, any way I can if my unit already has the update? Also, if I need to do it, would you be able to give easy instructions for how to proceed? My unit's working fine so I don't want to mess it up.
Go to the PCV website download page here: http://www.powercommander.com/powerc...downloads.aspx

Open PCV software and click on "Help" then "About" make sure your software version matches what is available ob the website. Currently it is Version 1.0.2 but most of them come with 1.0.1

If you need to update the software download the file from the website to your desktop then open the file. It will update the PCV software you currently have installed...or if you don't have the software it will guide you though installing the complete updated version.

Now to check your Firmware...Software is on the computer, Firmware is what's on the PCV. Download the firmware from the site and save it to the "maps" folder in the PCV...I think it automatically wants to go there but can't remember for sure. After download, make sure you are connected to the PCV and click on "Power Commander Tools" in the PCV Software. Then click "Update Firmware". You might have click a few "OK" boxes but it pretty much does it for you. Once it says the update is complete...you are done and have a fully updated PCV.

Quick Reply: Power Commander 5 and Auto Tune Info