Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power Commander 5 and Auto Tune Info

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2012, 04:02 PM
jackhis
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by The Q
When you flip the switch to turn the Autotune "off" you then run on the "base" map. The base map is the one with the numbers labled "Fuel"(not AFR) that are either numbers or numbers with a negative in front of them. If you never accept the trims the Autotune produces, the base map will be just like it was when Fuel Moto sent it to you. Hence what iclick mentioned in his post of running a little richer for cooling purposes in one of his posts about the Autotune.
Thanks much for the info!
I read iclick posts, and he mentioned about changing the AFRs for fuel saving. Do I have either the following options?
  1. Change the base map to my dynoed map, so the autotune can use this map as the "base map"? How to change?
  2. Change (increase) the AFRs in the shipped autotune map, so the engine can initially run leaner?
Thanks again
Nick

Old 02-28-2012, 05:25 PM
bamarider
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Save the base map Fuel Moto gave you on your laptop. I take it you want to use theirs for cooling not fuel mileage. Then enable the auto tune on the PCV. Let the Auto tune make changes to your base map that Fuel Moto gave you by riding the bike. After a tank of gas save the trim changes. Do the same thing again with another tank. You will notice the bike will run better and mileage will improve some. Now after you have done this a few times save the map. This map will be the map fuel moto gave you with changes made by the auto tune. You now have created a base map for your bike with the current AFR settings fuel moto sent you. Now change the AFR settings in the PCV to your new settings. Do not accept this trim in the future or it will change your base map. Now just ride the bike. Leave Auto tune enabled by the switch and it will run your bike with the AFR settings. Disable the switch will disable auto tune and run your base map.

Old 02-28-2012, 10:48 PM
jackhis
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by bamarider
Save the base map Fuel Moto gave you on your laptop. I take it you want to use theirs for cooling not fuel mileage. Then enable the auto tune on the PCV. Let the Auto tune make changes to your base map that Fuel Moto gave you by riding the bike. After a tank of gas save the trim changes. Do the same thing again with another tank. You will notice the bike will run better and mileage will improve some. Now after you have done this a few times save the map. This map will be the map fuel moto gave you with changes made by the auto tune. You now have created a base map for your bike with the current AFR settings fuel moto sent you. Now change the AFR settings in the PCV to your new settings. Do not accept this trim in the future or it will change your base map. Now just ride the bike. Leave Auto tune enabled by the switch and it will run your bike with the AFR settings. Disable the switch will disable auto tune and run your base map.
I am slow, so I have to ask!
Ok! I have a "base map", now I gonna change the AFR in the PCV to the new settings. What settings are you talking about? The "target AFRs" tables in the autotune map?
And, what is the purpose of runing the autotune, but do not "accept trims"? I've thought the autotune is runing in "learning mode", so it will not improve the mileage, performance, if you don't "accept trims."
I've also thought if we keep "accept trims", so the autotune will refine the map to a "perfect" condition.
Damn! Go ahead call me stupid, but it is over my head.
Give me a little bit more info.
Thanks

Old 02-29-2012, 06:31 AM
traveler
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Accept trims means accept the changes so it is reset and can change more than 20%.

When you are running, it will change and run those changes up to 20%......if it needs more adjustment, you must save trims, so that it can adjust up to 20% of the just accepted value.

~Joe

Old 02-29-2012, 01:21 PM
jackhis
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by traveler
Accept trims means accept the changes so it is reset and can change more than 20%.

When you are running, it will change and run those changes up to 20%......if it needs more adjustment, you must save trims, so that it can adjust up to 20% of the just accepted value.

~Joe
Thanks Joe!
That makes sense. I think I know more now. Thanks again to you and also to Bamarider.
But, you guys have not answered my question about replacing the base map (fuelmoto preloaded map) with my dynoed map. In the other words, use the dynoed map as a base map.
Can I do that? how?
Because, I know that the dynoed map is very good, and the autotune can tune based on the dynoed map.
I hope I can get the better mileage back, soon.

Old 02-29-2012, 01:52 PM
traveler
Seasoned HDF Member

open your maps.....get map...apply map

~Joe

Old 02-29-2012, 02:36 PM
jackhis
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by traveler
open your maps.....get map...apply map

~Joe
I know, if I turn the autotune "off", then the dynoed map will replace whatever map in the PCV, but if I turn the autotune "on", get the dynoed map, "apply map", then which map will be replaced?
Will this way replace the current map (change the target AFR table) that comes with the autotune, or just the base map in the PCV?

Old 02-29-2012, 08:27 PM
bamarider
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With the switch off your bike runs the base map. With the switch on you are running the AFR's in the AT table. The switch enables you to switch between the two.

The reason why we want you to run the AT iniatially with you map from fuel moto is to tune the fuel moto map to its optimin performance using your setup. While Fuel Moto base map is real good the AT will just make it better. You make these changes by excepting the trims. I have received maps from Fuel Moto that made my bike run good but it only improved with the AT.

Once you are satisfied you have changed the base map with the accepting trims then change the AFR settings in the AT for your fuel economy settings. Just do not accept the trims because it will change your base map. Now using the switch you are switching from the base map to the AFR setting in the AT.

Old 02-29-2012, 10:56 PM
traveler
Seasoned HDF Member

I agree....stop fiddling with it, and ride it for a bit first. optimize the Fuel Moto tune and then later on down the road "fix it".

If it ain't broke...fix it until it is, right?

~Joe

Old 02-29-2012, 11:33 PM
jackhis
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by bamarider
With the switch off your bike runs the base map. With the switch on you are running the AFR's in the AT table. The switch enables you to switch between the two.

The reason why we want you to run the AT iniatially with you map from fuel moto is to tune the fuel moto map to its optimin performance using your setup. While Fuel Moto base map is real good the AT will just make it better. You make these changes by excepting the trims. I have received maps from Fuel Moto that made my bike run good but it only improved with the AT.

Once you are satisfied you have changed the base map with the accepting trims then change the AFR settings in the AT for your fuel economy settings. Just do not accept the trims because it will change your base map. Now using the switch you are switching from the base map to the AFR setting in the AT.
That's it!
Thanks much for the explanation.
You guys are awesome!

Quick Reply: Power Commander 5 and Auto Tune Info