Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help - Heated Gear Problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2009, 05:55 PM
Cosmic Razorback
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 18,043 Likes on 7,312 Posts
Default Help - Heated Gear Problem

I have a little problem I hope you guys can help me with.

I purchased a Gerbing heated jacket liner and gloves about two months ago with the dual thermostat and they worked GREAT.

The wife wanted the same so I go hers as a Christmas present and they work GREAT and they work with mine at the same time just fine.

Last week I also bought the heated pants.

Well today I hooked up with some buddies to ride 100 mile round trip to the EasyRider Bike tour.

I started the bike and let it warm up. The battery on the bike is good and FULLY charged as I rode yesterday around 50 miles without the heated gear while it was in the 50's. So the battery should be good and charged.

I hooked up all my gear as instructed and both the lights on the controller came on and I felt the heat in my jacket liner and gloves almost instantly. I hit the interstate and my fingers started getting cold. I reached down and turned the thermostat up but nothing. I stopped and checked the lights and they were NOT on. I assumed I must have lown a fuse. I then pluged into the wifes side and the lights are on and I feel heat. I rode about a mile and could tell that they were no longer heating up.

Got back home with cold fingers and sure enough the fuses are BLOWN on both power cables off the battery. They have 15 amp fuses in them.

What is the problem here?

Do I need a higher amp fuse? Could the pants have a short or problem?

I have read all the instructions and looks on Gerbings online site and cannot find anything that would point me toward the problem.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

EasyRider Tour 2009 "ROCKS" Go see it if you can.

Old 01-25-2009, 06:20 PM
Dennydp
Elite HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 4 Posts

Sounds to me like a short some where.Check your wires and see if there is a problem.I run the socks,gloves coat and pantliners with no problem.Used them all on Ultra and my 97 Roadking.

Old 01-25-2009, 06:21 PM
mlhampton13
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was pricing this setup in the store yesterday and the lady said I would have to change to a higher amp fuse if I hooked my wife's liner to the controller. Other option is to have two controllers.

Old 01-25-2009, 06:39 PM
Cosmic Razorback
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by mlhampton13
I was pricing this setup in the store yesterday and the lady said I would have to change to a higher amp fuse if I hooked my wife's liner to the controller. Other option is to have two controllers.
Yes if you have two people you need two controllers and we do have seperate controllers.

I was riding by myself today and when I blew a fuse I then hooked into her plug since she was not riding and I blew that fuse also.

It all worked fine with out the pants, not with the pants I've blown two fuses.

Thanks

Old 01-25-2009, 06:42 PM
Cosmic Razorback
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Dennydp
Sounds to me like a short some where.Check your wires and see if there is a problem.I run the socks,gloves coat and pantliners with no problem.Used them all on Ultra and my 97 Roadking.
Thanks I will double check everything just to be on the safe side. I'm suspecting the pants may have a problem or I simply need a higher amp fuse.

Old 01-25-2009, 06:47 PM
oldhippie
Stellar HDF Member
Received 117 Likes on 70 Posts
Default You have a problem

It's not needing a higher amp fuse, 15 amp is fine. You have a problem.

First, I know you can do it both ways, but I usually plug my jacket into the controller and then plug the OUT of my jacket down into the pants and then socks (get the socks too!) of my jacket. I find the whloe deal heats so evenly, I don't need a dual controller.

But, it sounds like you have a short in your pants causing the blown fuse. I'm sure if you replace the fuse and then just run the jacket and gloves you'll be fine, but then plug the pants in and "pop" the fuse will blow.

You should be able to just plug straight from the power tether even without the controller, directly into the pants and get no blown fuse.

Did you mail order them or buy them locally? Take them back and get another pair and test them right there at the shop.

I'm betting the pants have a short.

Old 01-25-2009, 06:51 PM
dgriffith
Road Warrior

Think about what you said, Yours quit working, Blown fuse. You pluged into the wifes cord. worked for a while... the blows her fuse. YOU have a problem with your gear. Start by unpluging your pants and try it. then the gloves. One of yours is bad. sounds like you need to eliminate one of them at a time to see which one. The outside temperature doesnt make a difference. If you had a amprobe to measure the current draw of each item of clothing, it would take but a few minutes to find. Hope this helps.

Old 01-25-2009, 09:54 PM
mlhampton13
Cruiser

Originally Posted by mlhampton13
I guess I was given the wrong information. I got this from the Gerbing website.
  1. Q: Can I use one temperature controller to power two people?
    A: No, each person must have his or her own power cord and temperature controller. The power cord would be overloaded with two outfits.
  2. Q: Can I use the dual temperature controller for two people?
    A: No. The same power cord is used and would be overloaded.

Old 01-31-2009, 06:17 PM
Cosmic Razorback
Seasoned HDF Member

Okay gentlemen first off thank you for all the replies.

The problem is solved and I wanted to post here in hopes that it would help someone else. Actually is was simple, very simple and you can feel free to go ahead and call me "STUPID"!

The wiring harness that comes with the Gerbing gear has a fuse holder and a fuse. The cap on the fuse holder very clearly says 15 AMP.

As mentioned 15 amp is all that is needed for this set up.

The problem is that the fuses that came on the holder were 10 amp and they would not carry the load. I realized it today when I had a chance to check everything out and immediately noticed that me NEW 15 amp fuses are BLUE in color and the fused that had blown were red.

I hooked everything up and went for a cruise and all worked just like it was supposed to.

Remember 15 amp fuses are required for Jacket liner + Gloves + Pants.

A 10 amp fuse will work just fine for only the jacket liner and the gloves without the pants.

Hey it's going to be SUNNY and 59 degrees tommorow and the wife and I are excited about a nice afternoon ride after church.

Thanks

Doc

Old 01-31-2009, 06:49 PM
09RKC
Tourer

I'll order the Gerbing jacket liner & G3 tomorrow. I have a ?. With the blown fuse issue the first thing I thought of was where are you wiring your clothes to. Someone told me DO NOT go directly to the battery, that it's limited draw. Thus my thoughts of where you're wired to.

Now, is it ok to do to the battery with all three? With jacket liner and gloves only?

The only thing that really suffers with me is the hands. I'm getting the liner per advice from here and it's logic of plugging gloves into the liner.

Tkx!

Quick Reply: Help - Heated Gear Problem