Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help - Heated Gear Problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2009, 06:59 PM
Cosmic Razorback
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 18,031 Likes on 7,308 Posts

Originally Posted by 09RKC
I'll order the Gerbing jacket liner & G3 tomorrow. I have a ?. With the blown fuse issue the first thing I thought of was where are you wiring your clothes to. Someone told me DO NOT go directly to the battery, that it's limited draw. Thus my thoughts of where you're wired to.

Now, is it ok to do to the battery with all three? With jacket liner and gloves only?

The only thing that really suffers with me is the hands. I'm getting the liner per advice from here and it's logic of plugging gloves into the liner.

Tkx!
Yes there is a cord that comes with the unit that attaches to the battery, has a fuse holder inline and the other end hangs out from under your seat and you attach to it. I have two one for me and one for the wife.

I plug thermostat unit into the jacket liner, then hook the gloves up at the sleeve and the pants also plug into the jacket liner. Then there is one cord left over that hooks the the main power cord hanging out from under the seat.

The directions state to always have the bike started and running before hooking into the system and you are to unhook before turning the bike off.

Good luck

Old 01-31-2009, 07:10 PM
Pine Tree

Received 1,964 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by 09RKC
...The only thing that really suffers with me is the hands. I'm getting the liner per advice from here and it's logic of plugging gloves into the liner.
May I suggest you order only the gloves and the basic on/off switch? The gloves come with the wiring harness and you should be able to tape or stitch that between any jacket and its removable liner (if you go this route, keep in mind which side the plug will connect to the bike and that will save you from needing an extension piece).

Like you, my only issue is keeping my hands warm. I've had the G3 gloves for two years and have tried both the on/off switch and temp controller. I always had to leave the temp controller on HIGH as I, IMHO, don't think the gloves warm all that well. Now I use only the switch.

Hope that helps!

Old 01-31-2009, 07:39 PM
09RKC
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you both! I feel a little more confident now. I have a SA2 (?) plug off the battery used now for the tender. Thought I'd go there.

Rather than order online I want to call Gerbing so I'm SURE I get all controllers, wiring etc correct the 1st try. I've heard good things about Gerbing when you go this way.

Tkx again!

Old 02-01-2009, 09:00 AM
1potter1
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Keep in mind with running two sets of gear you may discharge your battery some at idle. A new 09 HD ultra alternater puts out about 540 watts, which the bike systems itself needs about half that output to keep the lights running, radio, cruise etc..

pants 3.6 amps/44 watts
jacket liner 6.4 amps/77 watts
gloves 2.2 amps/27 watts

12.2 amps/144 watts

Old 02-01-2009, 09:12 AM
bdp
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Pine Tree
May I suggest you order only the gloves and the basic on/off switch? The gloves come with the wiring harness and you should be able to tape or stitch that between any jacket and its removable liner (if you go this route, keep in mind which side the plug will connect to the bike and that will save you from needing an extension piece).

Like you, my only issue is keeping my hands warm. I've had the G3 gloves for two years and have tried both the on/off switch and temp controller. I always had to leave the temp controller on HIGH as I, IMHO, don't think the gloves warm all that well. Now I use only the switch.

Hope that helps!
I've found just the opposite, as long as my core is warm, feet and hands feel just fine. I hardly even use my heated gloves. I've only been down to 35F and the jacket liner was the only heated gear I used. Maybe a little colder and I'll break out the gloves.

Old 02-01-2009, 06:27 PM
Cosmic Razorback
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 18,031 Likes on 7,308 Posts

Originally Posted by 1potter1
Keep in mind with running two sets of gear you may discharge your battery some at idle. A new 09 HD ultra alternater puts out about 540 watts, which the bike systems itself needs about half that output to keep the lights running, radio, cruise etc..

pants 3.6 amps/44 watts
jacket liner 6.4 amps/77 watts
gloves 2.2 amps/27 watts

12.2 amps/144 watts
You are correct and I read in the instructions were they recommend that you turn the thermostat down low at idle or when in town at low speeds and turn it up on the highway.

I have a lot of friends in our chapter riding two up and using all the gear. I have not heard of any of them having any issues so I feel you are pretty much okay.