Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone with these 09 Mufflers?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2009, 01:13 PM
shredsurf
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RODEO
I know what you mean. Sound clips (when you can find them) and even You-Tube video clips are deceiving and misleading because the recordings distort what you can hear in person by ear. I know, I made short clips of my Monster Ovals to share and I myself noticed the deadening of the true sound. Speaking of Monster Ovals, I did try a set and found them to be a tad loud and can even bark loudly when on the throttle but even be mildy annoying just motoring down the road. (I like my stereo too much I guess) I sold them and put the stockers back on. I have read many reviews from guys, many who say they are just right, some say not loud enough and yet some I have read said just like me that they were louder then they expected them to be. It's all relative to your own likes and expectations. I think I am going to try a set of these new SuperTrapp SEs now. Problem is, it's a costly experiment, none more so then the expensive Monster Ovals were...
Hey Rodeo,

I thought I saw the Monster Ovals on yer ride in a picture somewhere else on the forum...you ditched em?
Mine came in yesterday and should be installed by mid-week. I've heard them on a '09 Ultra and thought they sounded mean....after reading your description, I just hope they aren't TOO mean for my Hogtunes amp & speakers??! As you said, they were pricey!

Good luck with your next set!!

Old 01-24-2009, 01:21 PM
RODEO
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by shredsurf
Hey Rodeo,

I thought I saw the Monster Ovals on yer ride in a picture somewhere else on the forum...you ditched em?
Mine came in yesterday and should be installed by mid-week. I've heard them on a '09 Ultra and thought they sounded mean....after reading your description, I just hope they aren't TOO mean for my Hogtunes amp & speakers??! As you said, they were pricey!

Good luck with your next set!!
Everone has their own "expectations" and I found the MOs to be a tad loud, especially just cruising. I found myself hunting allot for the right gear and RPMs to quell the sound. Lots of people love them though. I ride 90% of the time listening to music plus I often wear a shorty helmet and don't ever wear ear-plugs (and don't want to need to) and preferred the stock cans to the MOs. Like I said, I'm going to give the HD Screamin' Eagle Touring mufflers a try, but I have a feeling they will be just right for me.

Old 01-24-2009, 01:49 PM
shredsurf
Road Master

Originally Posted by RODEO
Everone has their own "expectations" and I found the MOs to be a tad loud, especially just cruising. I found myself hunting allot for the right gear and RPMs to quell the sound. Lots of people love them though. I ride 90% of the time listening to music plus I often wear a shorty helmet and don't ever wear ear-plugs (and don't want to need to) and preferred the stock cans to the MOs. Like I said, I'm going to give the HD Screamin' Eagle Touring mufflers a try, but I have a feeling they will be just right for me.
I tossed around both the SE touring & MO's and decided to go with the MO's after seeing them on an '09 and hearing them. I've ridden my Suzuki with V&H straight shots with chopped baffles...for 10 yrs. My friends hated the sound riding next to me, they were a bit loud, so I'm kinda used loud pipes.
The MO are quite a bit quieter than my V&H SS's so I think I'll be ok with my choice. Worse comes to worse, I have custom ipod silicone ear plugs, I'll just plug em right into my radio!!

Good luck!

Old 01-24-2009, 02:46 PM
lschultz
Road Master

I had a pair of the Supertrapp SE on a 06 Ultra I had and liked them but I got a wild hair of my **** to try something different and sold them. Anyway after I got the 09 I wanted something a little louder so I ordered me another pair of Supertrapp SE and have them on the 09. Everybody's ears or different try em if it's not the sound your looking for sell them. Just the way it is you got to keep trying different mufflers or exhaust systems till you find what your looking. Sure it costs money but you do it.

Old 01-24-2009, 03:49 PM
newdep332
Tourer

Originally Posted by ratcat
A friend of mine would like to buy a stock head pipe set for an 09 touring bike for his 09CVO SERG. If you would like just to sell the stock pipes, let me know.
I have some listed in the parts for sale section.

Old 01-24-2009, 04:18 PM
r8rs4lf
Road Warrior

Wasn't part of getting rid of your MO a concern about the factory warranty? Now your gonna do it all over again?

Old 01-24-2009, 05:19 PM
RODEO
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by r8rs4lf
Wasn't part of getting rid of your MO a concern about the factory warranty? Now your gonna do it all over again?
The problem is /was that the Monster Ovals have pretty large baffles in them, over 2" in diameter (I think close to 2.25"). I know, I saw them up close when I had them. Those definitely would need some mods to the EFI I feel. I heard the rule of thumb is no more then 1.75 on baffle size for no mods. Now the HD touring mufflers are 50 state legal and barely louder then stock. The power curve that HD publishes shows almost no improvement over stock, so how bad could they be. I'll try a set and should it be determined later that I really do need an EFI mod, well that may push me over the edge to get the PC-V.

Anyway, two bikes ago I rode for a few years with Vance & Hines BIG Shots and those puppies are LOUD! Few people liked riding behind me, much less along side of me. Those days I liked the noise in my wake but then, I didn't have a nice stereo to listen to either. Now I do and I gotta' tell you I am hooked on the music while riding. I want to hear the music first and foremost but I'd like to hear my mufflers when I get on the throttle too. Plus Im older n' wiser now, just no more mature!

Old 01-24-2009, 05:41 PM
Mastergunz1371
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I have the Supertrapp SE on my 09 Ultra and they sound good. They are not loud at all. i can still hear the radio with it less than half way up on the freeway running 75. Got them from M&M Cycles for a little over 300 with end caps.

Old 01-25-2009, 08:18 AM
Ridewva
Grand HDF Member
Received 375 Likes on 216 Posts

Being concerned with "popping" on decelation, I ordered new clamps as per Moco's instructions. But the dealer forgot and only had one in stock. So I used the new one and re-used one. The new one turned out to be unnecessory. I was careful to position them correctly and torqued them. No popping at all.
This was not the case on my 04 FXDXI. I ended up using the copper, high-temp gasket sealer on the muffler to header joint, which solved the popping. It made a PITA to remove it to pull the axle though.

Old 01-25-2009, 08:55 AM
SPARKY01
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i have the se pipes on my new 09 rg. they work for me in the fact that they are not too loud when running down the interstate and i can hear my tunes. yet, when i crack the throttle, they sound good. had rush pipes w/ 2" baffles on my 08 eg classic. it sounded great, ran like a bat out of hell, but was too loud afteran hour or so on the highway. + and this point a set of pipes with a little more "growl" and a download worked just fine for me. the 08 had a dyno tune, sert, along with the rush pipes. a lot of money for something i drove like an old lady. (not really)...ride safe

Attached Thumbnails Anyone with these 09 Mufflers?-dscf0106.jpg  

Quick Reply: Anyone with these 09 Mufflers?