Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Full face helmet on SG

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2009, 12:34 PM
leicafish
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

My wife and I do

Arai Quantum

Old 01-24-2009, 12:50 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

I bought one last winter for use only in cold weather and I've used it once, what is now a love-hate relationship. I like the protection it offers but don't like the buffeting, suppression of stereo sound, and lack of visibility. The latter is my biggest complaint, as I'm big on active safety. The passive safety the helmet affords isn't as important as being able to avoid an accident, and visibility is important in avoidance.

Instead, I mostly wear one of my 3/4 helmets, my favorite being a Shoeii RJ-Air. It is well vented, has replaceable visor and shield using three snap fasteners, is reasonably warm in winter, and affords excellent visibility.

Old 01-24-2009, 01:11 PM
Born2Glide
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fxdwgcanuck
i would not be caught dead in a full face helment
That's some funny ****....You are referring to how safe they are right

I have my full face in the closet, turned out it was a little small for me and I cant wear it. I mostly wear one of my half helmets unless it is really cold or I am using my communicators then I wear my 3/4 helmet. If I had a comfortable full I would maybe wear it sometimes at most.

Old 01-24-2009, 02:10 PM
RIDEIRISH
Tourer

I use one in the extreme cold/foul weather. No problems w/buffeting, just muffles my music some....feel a little safer with it, but don't like the lack of peripheral vision and I'm not able to really look over my shoulder as much as with my 1/2 or skidlid. I've got no "image" problems wearing it....

Old 01-24-2009, 02:16 PM
captjon37
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Got a full face for long trips. Wore 1 for years on the faster bikes. I also use a sansa clip 2GB and skull candy earbuds for the radio and MP3s. Clip it to my jacket or shirt. Easy to change songs or stations without looking at it. I do wear my 1/2 more but the full is a great addition.

Old 01-24-2009, 03:09 PM
BCguy
Road Captain

I bought my Arai ff last year and love it. Less buffetting than a 3/4, no loss in peripheral vision and I don't listen to music when i ride anyway so don't care about that. Got caught in some real nasty weather last year and was very happy to be wearing some full coverage. For me it's perfect but to each his/her own.

Old 01-24-2009, 05:41 PM
Mike5959
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am coming off a sportster with no wind protection and wearing my full face scorpion EXo100 made me feel like I was in a car there was such little head buffeting. Would there be some on the SG due to the windsheild direction wind differently?

Old 01-25-2009, 01:14 AM
JohnScrip
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I was a hard-core to the bone full-face wearer - Until I got my Street Glide.

Even with a 10" (now 12") shield and all the anti-buffeting I could install, the buffeting at highway speeds actually forced me to leave one of my helmets on the side of the road last year. I was pretty messed up the next day - Doc told me I had a mild concussion and I shouldn't drink for a few days (not a big deal, believe me - If he told me that I couldn't have coffee, I would've found another doctor). Bought a cheapo 1/2 helmet down the road and all was well. Pretty much wear 1/2's now (the Scorpion EXO 100 with the built-in retractable shield is my favorite at the moment).

ALTHOUGH - On my first "long" (a few hundred miles) ride with the EXO, it caused one of those "pressure" headaches because it was a little tight. Prepared this time, I had a small bag on the rack and threw it in. Rode much of the day (open rural highway, little traffic anywhere) with no helmet. First time I've ridden for hours on end with no lid. And I've gotta tell you, the comfort level was amazing... I can definitely see why so many people refuse to wear them unless it's the law.

The thing that really pisses me off - I'm *trying* to "be safe" and wear my helmet, yada, yada, yada. But on too many occasions (two examples listed right above), the helmet actually turned into a rather serious safety liability. Is it so freaking hard to handle the aerodynamics? Geez, it's just an oblong-ish round thing sitting on top of an oblong-ish round thing...

Seven windshields (including a few self-modified ones that were somewhat promising) later, it gets pretty frustrating...

Old 01-25-2009, 01:36 AM
RYEDOGGRACING
Cruiser

All great opinions !!! I asked this to see if i was the only 1. But i have noticed alot of wind buffering. I also have raised my shield to 6 inch. This helped a little, but i will be going back to a halfy because of the radio and buffering issue. But on those cold Ohio mornings going to work it will be the full. Thanks again for all the answers.

Old 01-25-2009, 05:53 AM
Solitario
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

try Shoei xr100, arai corsair or BMW full face. this brands are the only ones I trust for full face helmets.

Quick Reply: Full face helmet on SG