Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MOCO announces layoffs

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2009, 10:12 AM
sparky1
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it wasn't for the unions you'd be working in a sweatshop for nothing,no holidays,no vacations,7 days a week,kissin your bosses a*** every morning and Twice on a weekend day.Look at all the screwups in upper management getting paid millions for doin what???? Get at job at Walmart-they'll treat you good,give you great benefits and give you a title "team member".

Old 01-23-2009, 10:14 AM
ga4boats
Road Warrior

It is just a bad world economy - we are all fighting to stay one step ahead of the game.

Old 01-23-2009, 10:53 AM
copperjohn
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Unions Fault?

Guy's, it's simple economics,supply and demand,this all started at the top with the banks and investment ripoffs and it has trickled down to you and I,how many of you pay MSRP for a car? for food? for anything? except Harley stuff,we pay MSRP for the Bike and then for all the access. who can or wants too afford that in these times? very few,i have a fiend who sells 2 lines of japanese biks and sales are good,they are selling at discounts right now which is what MOCO should be doing.

Old 01-23-2009, 11:13 AM
2011 Road Glide Ultra
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is not a surprise - it's Standard Operating Practice for HD. They control supply to preserve demand. If they didn't, the brand would lose value. It's tough on the employees, but it keeps the company strong.

Look at what's happened with the auto industry - they started cutting prices with deals and rebates. Now they're trapped in a downward spiral. Low demand, low profits, and overproduction all at the same time.

Old 01-23-2009, 11:25 AM
sj9125
Advanced

Originally Posted by Peppa1
I don't want to trash unions but just like the auto industry with their unions HD has alot of union workers and the pay they are getting is probably more than most are getting. My thoughts would be either to get rid of or renegotiate with the unions for a lower wage and at least allow the employees to keep their job rather than the unions saying we are not going to negotiate and then force the company to go under and then you are in the unemployment line making a lot less money with no benefits.
I agree with you 100%.

Old 01-23-2009, 11:25 AM
TRVSDAD
Tourer

IF YOUR GOING TO SELL IT IN THE USA, THEN MAKE IT HERE!! CHINA has three times our population, they can keep their factories going making products for their people. Bring our factories jobs back. I'll gladly take a little pollution, and have gainfully emploed people for the trade-off.

Old 01-23-2009, 11:38 AM
2011 Road Glide Ultra
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TRVSDAD
IF YOUR GOING TO SELL IT IN THE USA, THEN MAKE IT HERE!! CHINA has three times our population, they can keep their factories going making products for their people. Bring our factories jobs back. I'll gladly take a little pollution, and have gainfully emploed people for the trade-off.
It's not the pollution - it's the WAGES. You want those jobs back for $3 an hour?

Old 01-23-2009, 11:55 AM
H2OFOOTER
Advanced

Originally Posted by peppa1
i don't want to trash unions but just like the auto industry with their unions hd has alot of union workers and the pay they are getting is probably more than most are getting. My thoughts would be either to get rid of or renegotiate with the unions for a lower wage and at least allow the employees to keep their job rather than the unions saying we are not going to negotiate and then force the company to go under and then you are in the unemployment line making a lot less money with no benefits.
+ 1 what he said

Old 01-23-2009, 12:13 PM
garyhendley
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yep harleys stock is down to about $12.00 its dropped about 75% this last year

its hard times out there if your not employed you are really screwed.. hope

we get thru this soon-ride safe

Old 01-23-2009, 12:16 PM
bluffalobob
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I feel sad for the workers. I know what it's like to loose a job, it can destroy people's lives. Many loose there homes, life savings, even their marriages.

In my father's day, a man could find a good blue collar job in manufacturing and earn a decent living. If he worked hard and watched his nickles, he could end up putting his kids through school, owning his home, and even have a bit of a retirement fund built up. Those days are gone. Jobs like that are harder and harder to come by, and that's the reality we live in. The cause is very complex, and not as simple as some would claim. You can't simply blame this on unions, or management, or overseas jobs, the government, etc.

I hope one of the biggest lessons we learn out of this mess we are in right now is that Wall Street cannot continue to judge a company solely on last quarter's numbers, management must look at the long term health of the companies, and that unions and management must find ways to compromise and be productive in order to protect jobs. Part of the reason we're in this mess is all because of stock prices. Everyone wants to earn 10% a year, so companies did whatever it took to make that happen. We see the results of those risks, and now we are borrowing on future generations to pay for it.

Rant mode off.