Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I'm ready for a water cooled touring HD

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2009, 09:41 AM
RoadKing_Al
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by oinker02
I've been watching Honda and a few others as they develop their versions and I'm left wondering why HD ain't doing the same..
I'd have to say the biggest reason is that the Japanese companies have their research & development funded by their government. Where as in the U.S. the companies are funded by themselves. Big difference in costs.

Old 01-23-2009, 09:47 AM
BigGdawg
Club Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Theakerr
I also wonder why HD haven't introduced a tourer based on the V-Rod. Forgetting everything else it should be at least 100lbs if not 150lbs lighter. I am now over 60 and loaded up with camping gear etc. last summer there were times when I found the weight a bit of a handful and I frequently found myself looking for the "right" parking spot. Based on "road" conversations I know I am not the only HD rider to be confronting this issue. Further, this issue will only become more significant as the years go by. I really enjoy touring type riding and I really enjoy it on my EG but I can see a time coming when I may be forced to look at another brand if I want to continue touring type riding
Where there's a will, there's a way.

Last edited by BigGdawg; 01-23-2009 at 11:07 AM.
Old 01-23-2009, 09:59 AM
RoadKing_Al
Road Captain

Originally Posted by BigG2009FLHRC
Where there's a will, there's a way.
How about resizing the photos before you post. We have to go into the next county to read the thread.
Thanks
PS: As you say: Where there's a will, there's a way. Get it.

Old 01-23-2009, 10:48 AM
dstockton
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by gary_montague
I predict and oil cooled big twin in 2011. They know there is an issue with heat and BMW has no problem with the oil cooling. They could redo cylinders cases and add a pump or bigger pump and you would have a hard time knowing it was done if they didn't tell you.

That's where I think they'll go first before adding a radiator. Actually, the twin cam is already an oil/air cooled bike since the oiling system squirts the bottom of the pistons just like my old Suzuki 1200 Bandit did. Look at the XR1200 with oil cooled heads. The lines are external but on a touring bike they could be more easily hidden.

Old 01-23-2009, 11:15 AM
garyhendley
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i hve seen a couple of v rod touring bikes looked awesome-rdie safe

Old 01-23-2009, 11:39 AM
oinker02
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by RoadKing_Al
I'd have to say the biggest reason is that the Japanese companies have their research & development funded by their government. Where as in the U.S. the companies are funded by themselves. Big difference in costs.
Yep.......Hey, consider this too:

Right now Harley is laying off, reducing production, shutting factories and strving out dealers....Right?

So ok, just where in all that do you think they have room to budget the R&D necessary to develop any oil/water cooled engine?

Nope, it ain't there, or if it is, they can't presently afford to do it properly. Our favorite moco might go broke not from just declining sales and tight credit, but from failure to afford to develop cleaner/quieter scooters!

Harley has it's back against the wall not just due to declining sales and constricted credit, they also have to invent cleaner and quieter bikes based on current EPA mandates.

If Obamawamma wants to help ALL the moco's and other manufactures of EVERY type left in this country, he needs to pick up his executive order pen and spend some ink SUSPENDING any and all future EPA constrictions.

We simply can't afford further EPA/OSHA type sillyness.

Old 01-23-2009, 11:43 AM
Jontall
Cruiser

Harley will be out of business if they stop building air-cooled V-Twins.

Old 01-23-2009, 11:49 AM
oinker02
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Jontall
Harley will be out of business if they stop building air-cooled V-Twins.
Your guvment sez they will be out of business if they don't start building water cooled engines soon.....

No, they don't exactly demand they build watercooled engines, they instead demand they build cleaner and quieter engines with higher MPG...It just so happens that watercooled engine can meet those requirements whereas aircooled stuff has hit the wall and will never be able to meet the planned thresholds.

Old 01-23-2009, 11:56 AM
backnasaddle
Tourer

Personally, I've never fully understood this debate. If you can mainatin the heart and soul of a Harley and still come up with a better cooling system, why not do it? The history and heritage nonsense is just that...nonsense. There is no reason whatever that a half way competent engineer can't give you both. Having owned both, I can tell you, liquid cooled is more comfortable and less maintenance. It's about the $$$, folks. Our bikes already cost too much. Imagine what they'd cost if the MoCo re-designed and re-tooled for liquid cooled and even shaft drive! Ouch! I love my HD and I always will, but there's nothing wrong with a better mouse trap.

Old 01-23-2009, 12:06 PM
NewHarleyGear
Road Warrior
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Oh great, more chrome to buy.

Quick Reply: I'm ready for a water cooled touring HD