Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I'm ready for a water cooled touring HD

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2009, 05:34 AM
hdmunro
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well its gonna happen eventually, so lets make hay while the sun shines and enjoy what
we have while we have it....

Bill

Old 01-23-2009, 06:02 AM
DeafUltra
Elite HDF Member
Received 119 Likes on 83 Posts

If Harley's smart by keeping the V-Twin engine powerplant that has been around for so many years and insert circulated coolant system in the frame with small radiator and electric fan out front where it wouldn't look so bulky. Perhaps Harley could keep the current engine for others (Die-Hards) who wouldn't opt for liquid cooled engine powerplant. Now, There would be two choices for the rest of us to choose from.

I'll admit that Harley will have to convince me real hard to purchase an liquid cooled bike cuz I ain't going to be their guinea pig or unless they give me a touring bike for a year or two as a test pilot and have them work the bugs out before production. Wouldn't that be fun and neat to start with ?.

IJMHO, Let the V-Rod disappear cuz it's not really a Harley to begin with. Gives me freezing chills when I walk by one on the showroom floor. Yuck !.

Harley...Bring on the liquid cooled engine,

Thorey

Old 01-23-2009, 06:29 AM
BigGdawg
Club Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default I don't give a rat's behind about water cooled -

Originally Posted by IRready
I agree, buy a Honda if thats what you want. HD is a V TWin, Air cooled, hot MF. It is a legend and a heritage. They will eventually be forced to it, unfortunately. HD are reliable MC's. If you want more HP you can find it anywhere, but it still is not a HD and never will be. Period. HP is not what it is about. Its about the history, its about USA, it is about the soul. You can't replace the history, no matter how much HP they introduce. As far as I am concerned, Hd offers plenty of power for my needs, the reliability is there, and it is the standard. Why do you think they all try to imitate it. Try as they may, they can't compete with father time. Ride safe.
I agree with this.

HP is not what the H-Ds operate under. The torque is what gets you moving, the HP maintains the motion. H-D due to its single pin crank, uneven firing, and long stroke will never be an RPM based HP generator like the oversquare multi cylinder motors with even crank throws. And I happen to like the old fashioned aircooled, pushrod V-Twin of substantial cubic inch displacement.

Old 01-23-2009, 07:23 AM
HDV-GLIDE
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by mile high king
V-Rod is already liquid cooled and you could use that same motor to expand the line-up. But I think it appeals to a different set of riders. It would be interesting to hear from the owners on this forum that own both a V-rod and some other traditional air-cooled Harley. Do they feel as "Harley" on a V-Rod? I own both a liquid cooled sport-bike and a Road King, and I don't miss any of the newer technology when I ride the H-D. I am somehow very content with the air cooling, heat, lower power, etc. even though I have a direct comparison to what more modern engineering can provide. Just not important to me when I am riding the King.
I have both...

Since it's marked HD on the Air Cover Box and made by HD, yes it's a HD.

I have enjoyed the V-Rod since 2003 but not for long rides. When your done a 200+ mile ride, you ( I did) feel pretty beat up. Add the CFR pipe and without the proper ear protection, forget about hearing for a few days out of your right ear.

The storage issue is another major drawback. You had to either add side bags (looks like crap on a V-Rod), strap a bag on the passenger pillion (if you didn't have a passenger) or have your passenger wear a back pack.

Speaking of passengers, forget about it unless you were going a short distance. The V-Rods were not built for 2-up riding.

The V-Rod is a hot looking bike that the chicks dig but suited for the younger crowd.

Enter my '09 SG....Yes it's about 200 pounds heavier then the V-Rod but it tracks like it's on rails. The fairing makes its comfortable for all day rides and the radio sweetens the deal.

Yes, it's harder to park if you have to back into a spot because of the weight and if your shorter then 5'8", you probably cannot flat foot it. There are plenty of fixes for that issue.

Maybe it's my age and physical condition now but if I could sell that V-Rod for a decent price, it would be gone tomorrow.

I would miss it though, since it got me back into riding after being off a bike for about 30 years.

Old 01-23-2009, 08:27 AM
Phurion
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The engine on the Vulcan 2000 (the pic below is my 2005 V2K) is water cooled, produces **** loads of tq and hp off the shelf, and doesn't look like your typical water cooled, internal pushrood engine. Kawi went external pushrods so they could up the displacement, which GREATLY improved the aesthetics of the engine if you ask me.

If Kawi can produce a water cooled engine that looks and performs as this one does, there's no reason Harley can't. They've been building V-twins longer, so you'd think their engineering department would already be ahead of the curve on water cooled designs.

As far as would I buy one? 2nd gen definitely. But after buying the first year of the 96"/6 speed I won't be buying a 1st gen design bike again. I've been able to overcome the issues I've had, but I don't wanna guinea-pig another one for them.

Attached Thumbnails I'm ready for a water cooled touring HD-v2kengine.jpg  

Last edited by Phurion; 01-23-2009 at 08:30 AM.
Old 01-23-2009, 08:46 AM
Willy G.
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

HD has never been a through away bike, By design it's been a bike you have to and like to do things to ie. work on, accessorize, etc. They have a water cooled bike in the VR line which is IMO the best and fastest drag bike. Since this is the Touring Models page, maybe a 110" would help your HP/TQ. As for reliability it all depends on your up keep, treat it right and it should treat you right. To me it's a working man's bike meaning, you have to work on it either for fun or maintenance.

Old 01-23-2009, 09:01 AM
Theakerr
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also wonder why HD haven't introduced a tourer based on the V-Rod. Forgetting everything else it should be at least 100lbs if not 150lbs lighter. I am now over 60 and loaded up with camping gear etc. last summer there were times when I found the weight a bit of a handful and I frequently found myself looking for the "right" parking spot. Based on "road" conversations I know I am not the only HD rider to be confronting this issue. Further, this issue will only become more significant as the years go by. I really enjoy touring type riding and I really enjoy it on my EG but I can see a time coming when I may be forced to look at another brand if I want to continue touring type riding

Old 01-23-2009, 09:13 AM
gary_montague
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I predict and oil cooled big twin in 2011. They know there is an issue with heat and BMW has no problem with the oil cooling. They could redo cylinders cases and add a pump or bigger pump and you would have a hard time knowing it was done if they didn't tell you.

Old 01-23-2009, 09:22 AM
TheShrink
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Harley isn't about change, it's about consistency, strength, loyalty and being THE American Iron. If Harley would have produced cutting edge models every year by changing everything like everyone else, then they would be like everyone else. Why did you buy your first Harley? Why did you buy your second Harley? Why ....

I love my Harley just the way it is, hot, loud and shaky. I never worry about it overheating in traffic because I don't ride it in rush hour traffic. Ruch hour isn't the place for a Harley, IMHO.

Old 01-23-2009, 09:32 AM
hawg08
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Air cooled = HONDA-DAVIDSON!!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: I'm ready for a water cooled touring HD