Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I'm ready for a water cooled touring HD

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2009, 11:36 PM
Twinrider
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

If it rode good, sounded good and looked good, I'd prefer liquid-cooled as well. No more worries about the bike overheating in traffic jams. As far as it being more maintenance intensive, I doubt it. I never have to mess around with liquid-cooled bikes other than making sure the coolant is topped up.

Old 01-22-2009, 11:36 PM
mile high king
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

V-Rod is already liquid cooled and you could use that same motor to expand the line-up. But I think it appeals to a different set of riders. It would be interesting to hear from the owners on this forum that own both a V-rod and some other traditional air-cooled Harley. Do they feel as "Harley" on a V-Rod? I own both a liquid cooled sport-bike and a Road King, and I don't miss any of the newer technology when I ride the H-D. I am somehow very content with the air cooling, heat, lower power, etc. even though I have a direct comparison to what more modern engineering can provide. Just not important to me when I am riding the King.

Originally Posted by oinker02
You know, I might seem a traitor to the cause, but I'm kinda hoping HD will soon produce a water cooled v twin touring scoot.

I've been watchng Honda and a few others as they develop their versions and I'm left wondering why HD ain't doing the same.

We are lacking lots of HP, mpg and reliability by continuing to use air cooled engines on our big assed touring bikes.

Don't shoot me, just please offer your vote and suggestions to my proposal.

Old 01-23-2009, 12:01 AM
oinker02
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks for leaving me with my nads Gents.....Don't get me wrong, I'm retro HD all the way, but still.......I'd still like to see my MOCO out there on the cutting edge leading the industry with ideas and engineering concepts that improve on the existing design.

I KNOW they got the talent and smart young folks who thrusts their concepts at the bosses everday, but we see it only in spurts and dribbles.....slight changes each year

Perhaps it's true HARLEY to be slow to change-one slight advance each year-or each decade....Perhaps it's better that way.

Old 01-23-2009, 12:13 AM
StreetGeezer
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got pissed off when they did away with the single cylinder for the twin in 1909. Freakin' traitors to the single cause...

Old 01-23-2009, 12:21 AM
cdale976
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For starters your f********crazy LOL
Why water???????? line the jugs with oil jackets inside.....add oil capacity to include the new oversized frame and done......cooler runnin bike less another unnecessary fluid.

Old 01-23-2009, 12:25 AM
oinker02
Banned

Originally Posted by StreetGeezer
I got pissed off when they did away with the single cylinder for the twin in 1909. Freakin' traitors to the single cause...
Yep, me too....but Honda filled the gap for me back in the late 70's....I bought me a single cylinder hondo dirt scoot that had 600CC's of 4 stroke thump. It had twin carbs and dual exhaust and two plugs even tho it was a single.

It was a wheelie monster and dug deep trenches...Gawd, that sucker was hard to hang on to. Reminded me of my first wife trying to buck me off when I told her her sister was better lookin.

Old 01-23-2009, 12:28 AM
oinker02
Banned

Originally Posted by cdale976
For starters your f********crazy LOL
Why water???????? line the jugs with oil jackets inside.....add oil capacity to include the new oversized frame and done......cooler runnin bike less another unnecessary fluid.
Oil cooled?...It's been done and it worked well.....My first GSXR1100 back in '87 was oil cooled. That sucker scared me every day....I would tremble every time I got off her.

Old 01-23-2009, 12:38 AM
cdale976
Road Master

Originally Posted by oinker02
Oil cooled?...It's been done and it worked well.....My first GSXR1100 back in '87 was oil cooled. That sucker scared me every day....I would tremble every time I got off her.
like you said...hd has some smarts.....and a large following of long time riders. In the end whatever they do it will be what is best for HD Riders and HD...I just can't imagine another fluid just to cool the bitch down. I personally could care less about 150hp and 150mph.
Longevity and reliabilty are the bottom line to me. so they say a little cooler adds a little to the life of a motor. I'm for that....just don't **** with sound and the looks .....jmho

Old 01-23-2009, 12:42 AM
MDodson
Road Master

He use to ride a goldwing a couple years ago is my guess

Old 01-23-2009, 12:49 AM
cdale976
Road Master

can't think of a harley other than vrod or the nova that isn't oil cooled

Quick Reply: I'm ready for a water cooled touring HD