Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Inside of one muffler blackened

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2009, 09:42 PM
FatBAGstr'd
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Inside of one muffler blackened

Hey yall,

I've just taken possession of an 09 FLHT. I've got about 500 hundred miles on her now. I noticed that the inside of the left (looking at the bike from the rear) muffler is considerably darker, or blackened compared to the other muffler. Mufflers are stock....for now. I shined a flashlight in up the pipes (felt like an OB/GYN ) and noticed the insides of the mufflers are completely different from each other in the way they are made. Was thinking that this could be one reason...or....my question...is this normal? Or, did one of the rings not seat right, and now I'm blowing oil out the pipe? One other thought is that I ride my bike every day. Since I've had the bike the temps have been pretty cold when heading to work (25-35 degrees), so I let it idle for a while to warm up before heading out. I was thinking that maybe since the bike is on the kickstand, and leans to the side of the blackened muffler that it could be moisture related?

For those who might bring it up...I followed the MOCO's suggested break in. I'll try to figger out a way to post a pic so y'all can see what I'm talkin about.

I appreciate any suggestions!

Old 01-22-2009, 09:51 PM
oinker02
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

start the bike and place your hands behind both pipes.....You will discover the right blows harder than the left....it also runs hotter.

That's due to the crossover configuration coming off rear cylinder.

It's normal.

Last edited by oinker02; 01-22-2009 at 10:29 PM.
Old 01-22-2009, 10:04 PM
FatBAGstr'd
Advanced

Originally Posted by oinker02
start the bike and place your hands behind both pipes.....You will discover the right blows harder than the left....it also runs hotter.

That's due to the crossover configuration coming off real cylinder.

It's normal.
Thank ya!

Old 01-22-2009, 10:29 PM
gunner11
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I don't think I've ever looked up the pipes of my bike....interesting.

Old 01-22-2009, 10:30 PM
oinker02
Banned

always beware whenever dealer service manager sez "it's normal", but trust us who have wrenched our own scoots a few years.

Old 01-22-2009, 10:49 PM
King Crimson
Tourer

This is almost like having your doctor stick his camera in your pooper.

Old 01-22-2009, 11:29 PM
Texas Fat Boy
Extreme HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by King Crimson
This is almost like having your doctor stick his camera in your pooper.
No it's not..................and you wouldn't say that if you ever had it done.
I'm not sayin' I'm just sayin. LOL

Old 01-23-2009, 12:22 AM
patsfan
Road Captain

Interesting, on my 08, the right pipe is darker (most of the exhaust exits on the right) not the left.

Originally Posted by FatBAGstr'd
Hey yall,

I've just taken possession of an 09 FLHT. I've got about 500 hundred miles on her now. I noticed that the inside of the left (looking at the bike from the rear) muffler is considerably darker, or blackened compared to the other muffler. Mufflers are stock....for now. I shined a flashlight in up the pipes (felt like an OB/GYN ) and noticed the insides of the mufflers are completely different from each other in the way they are made. Was thinking that this could be one reason...or....my question...is this normal? Or, did one of the rings not seat right, and now I'm blowing oil out the pipe? One other thought is that I ride my bike every day. Since I've had the bike the temps have been pretty cold when heading to work (25-35 degrees), so I let it idle for a while to warm up before heading out. I was thinking that maybe since the bike is on the kickstand, and leans to the side of the blackened muffler that it could be moisture related?

For those who might bring it up...I followed the MOCO's suggested break in. I'll try to figger out a way to post a pic so y'all can see what I'm talkin about.

I appreciate any suggestions!

Old 01-23-2009, 12:53 AM
oinker02
Banned

Originally Posted by patsfan
Interesting, on my 08, the right pipe is darker (most of the exhaust exits on the right) not the left.
You are running too rich or have a fouled plug/plugs......Plugs might be fouled because running too rich....If you have added fuel managment device, then it needs remapped.

Borrow an infared thermo gun and shoot both cylinder temps at the base of the plugs immediatly after hot laps. they should both read no more than about 280 degrees and they should be close in temp to each other....If one cylinder head is running lots cooler, then that's the one fouled or running rich....

The rear cylinder is mapped to get more fuel due to it's location in the cooling air flow, so don't shoot temps if bike is just sitting while running cause a properly mapped rear cylinder should read cooler due to programed enrichment, but should equal with front when subjected to hwy airflows.

Old 01-23-2009, 05:29 AM
aussiesport
Advanced

i asked in another thread about the exhaust bore size etc and it is normal because the exhaust either exits out of left side only or both sides when the flap valve opens for more exhaust note ,the idea being that more torque is developed when only running thru the smaller opening on the left ( looking from behind) my problem is when you put aftermarket slip-ons on that are same bore size does it affect anything ?

Quick Reply: Inside of one muffler blackened