Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Putting Weight on Rear Passenger Peg

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2009 | 02:53 PM
eddieo
|
Advanced
Default Putting Weight on Rear Passenger Peg

I was wondering how much direct weight a stock passenger peg setup on an '09 SG could handle? My question in based on having a passenger board the bike after I get on, and having that passenger (with all their weight) step on the left peg with left foot and throw her right leg around to the right side peg, clear antennae and right side saddlebag, then sit down. It was pretty easy when I had a Softail, much lower to the ground and the hard bags weren't an issue. I had asked a local HD tech this very question, and he wasn't able to answer.

I just don't want anybody to go 'boom'.

Thanks, eddieo

Old 01-22-2009 | 02:56 PM
AtkRWC
Elite HDF Member

Oh I'm not touching this one! ;-) I have never heard of them breaking off. They have fallen off after the bolt came off.

Old 01-22-2009 | 03:00 PM
Daves Not Here!
Cruiser

I agree with AtkRWC, Never seen one break off, but just the question alone is bordering on trouble if it goes much farther.

Old 01-22-2009 | 03:03 PM
AtkRWC
Elite HDF Member

Another thing, don't have her try to swing her leg around. The passenger should standup on the peg and step over as she places her hand on your shoulder for support.

Last edited by AtkRWC; 01-22-2009 at 03:19 PM.
Old 01-22-2009 | 03:10 PM
eddieo
|
Advanced

I'm not trying to start an issue based on rider/passenger weights, (I'm no lightweight, but I'm also not a candidate for tackle for the NFL ) just trying to establish some info so that if I have to make another plan to avoid my passenger getting hurt by peg snapping off.......I must say though, the peg and arm look pretty darn beefy, so it may very well be a non issue. Thanks.

Old 01-22-2009 | 03:17 PM
Daves Not Here!
Cruiser

They are very beefy, I wouldn't worry about them at all.

I get on my bike first and leave it on either the jiffy stand or center stand just to make it more solid for her to get on, then she always puts her hand on my shoulder so that I know she is getting on, then she puts her left foot on the left footboard then just steps straight over to the right board.

I make sure that she always puts her hand on my shoulder when getting on or getting off. You will actually be surprised just how stable the bike is when she gets on or off the bike.

Old 01-22-2009 | 03:23 PM
IronLegend
Tourer

I've had my '02 for a couple years now and when wifey gets on it's pretty much the same scenario as first stated, no problems noted with the passenger footboard yet but I also check the bolts on occasion for tightness. I figure if the bolt gets loose then there may be an issue with boarding safety, other than that you should be good-to-go.

Old 01-22-2009 | 03:43 PM
gunner11
Ultimate HDF Member

I let my wife get on first, then just throw a leg over, get off the stand, and away we go

Old 01-22-2009 | 03:46 PM
garyhendley
Outstanding HDF Member

no worries i have never heard of one breaking thye are tough-ride safe

Old 01-22-2009 | 03:55 PM
oljim49
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Daves Not Here!
They are very beefy, I wouldn't worry about them at all.

Let me tell ya a little story.....last summer I was running 60 MPH down a 2 lane with a couple buds behind me when the passenger floorboard on the right side decided to just puke.......I mean the stock bolt sheered off right at the frame. Damned near hit one of the guys behind me as it bounced off the pavement over his head. As it turns out, I wasn't that far from my dealer so i stopped in and the guys there said it was the only one they ever saw sheer off like that. I'm assuming it was just metal fatigue and a freak deal, but I put a max stress bolt on both sides when I replaced the floorboard just to be sure. Falls in the category of "stuff happens" but don't know that I wouldn't worry about them at all.....I sure as hell do now....at least a little!

Quick Reply: Putting Weight on Rear Passenger Peg