Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coloardo and Arizona trip

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2009, 11:20 AM
Raptor1956
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with KoalaCowboy 100% million Dollar highway is great. Try to see as much in Colarado as you can. Twin Lakes pass into aspen from the east,Teluride,hwy 70 to glenwood springs,There is so much to see in Colorado.

Old 01-22-2009, 11:26 AM
temporary1
Advanced

I'm from PA but have been to Cortez before (not on a bike though). As a matter of fact I plan on heading there on my bike this summer.
I find it interesting that I have not heard anyone suggest that you go to see Mesa Verde national park, or take the train ride from Durango up to Silverton. Both of these are very close to Cortez, about a 1/2 hr away.
Each would involve the better part of a day but I thought both were fantastic. The train ride is 45miles and 3hrs each way, you can cut 2hrs off the trip if you take the option of taking the bus back on the return leg.
Mesa Verde has some of the oldest man made structures in America, I thought it was much more interesting then the garden of the gods IMHO.
Either way that sounds like a great trip.
I wil try and post a couple of photos below.

Attached Thumbnails Coloardo and Arizona trip-img_0348.jpg   Coloardo and Arizona trip-img_0384.jpg   Coloardo and Arizona trip-img_0395.jpg  
Old 01-22-2009, 11:32 AM
fatboy4447
Cruiser

Originally Posted by temporary1
I'm from PA but have been to Cortez before (not on a bike though). As a matter of fact I plan on heading there on my bike this summer.
I find it interesting that I have not heard anyone suggest that you go to see Mesa Verde national park, or take the train ride from Durango up to Silverton. Both of these are very close to Cortez, about a 1/2 hr away.
Each would involve the better part of a day but I thought both were fantastic. The train ride is 45miles and 3hrs each way, you can cut 2hrs off the trip if you take the option of taking the bus back on the return leg.
Mesa Verde has some of the oldest man made structures in America, I thought it was much more interesting then the garden of the gods IMHO.
Either way that sounds like a great trip.
I wil try and post a couple of photos below.
acutally in those picutres, my mom was saying she wants to go on some train ride that takes you through the moutain and i bet that is it

Old 01-22-2009, 11:33 AM
fatboy4447
Cruiser

Originally Posted by cap5369
Did that trip last year and you will love it. Like they said a lot of good rides around there. You need to stop in at Antelope Canyon.
where is Antelope Canyon and is that were your pictures are from?

Old 01-22-2009, 12:04 PM
leicafish
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

Sorry not to be disrepectful, I just think Sedona is just an overated tourist trap. And traffic there can be a bit heavy.

Coming fro Four Corners check out Kayenta/Monument Valley-(very nice Hampton Inn) Then the South Rim.

The North Rim is less crowded.

Old 01-22-2009, 12:11 PM
temporary1
Advanced

Originally Posted by fatboy4447
acutally in those picutres, my mom was saying she wants to go on some train ride that takes you through the moutain and i bet that is it
I'm sure that's the one.
http://www.durangotrain.com/
It leaves from Durango. If you take the train ride here would be my suggestions. Take a gondola car instead of the enclosed cars. Not only are you in the fresh air you are seated facing the view. Also (very important) make sure you ask for seats that face the view on the way up to Silverton (especially if you are going to take the bus on the way back). That should be the seats that face the train station.

Old 01-22-2009, 12:11 PM
bksmoky
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Just remember when you drive through the mountains and twisties. Always find out the "drive time". Don't go by mileage alone.

Old 01-22-2009, 12:38 PM
fatboy4447
Cruiser

Originally Posted by temporary1
I'm sure that's the one.
http://www.durangotrain.com/
It leaves from Durango. If you take the train ride here would be my suggestions. Take a gondola car instead of the enclosed cars. Not only are you in the fresh air you are seated facing the view. Also (very important) make sure you ask for seats that face the view on the way up to Silverton (especially if you are going to take the bus on the way back). That should be the seats that face the train station.
thanks

Old 01-22-2009, 02:32 PM
monstead
Club Member
Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM when I can find the time....
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fatboy4447
thanks
I also highly recommend making the train reservation as soon as you know your dates. It's extremely popular. Very beautiful.

I also recommend taking the train one way only. It may be a bit of a logistics feat to figure out how to get transportation back to the beginning, but I've done the train and while it's extremely beautiful and well-worth doing, it can be very long and monotonous going both ways with it. When we did it, someone recommended we do it one-way...didn't listen and wish we'd had.

Trip sounds fantastic.

Old 01-22-2009, 04:42 PM
temporary1
Advanced

Originally Posted by monstead
I also highly recommend making the train reservation as soon as you know your dates. It's extremely popular. Very beautiful.

I also recommend taking the train one way only. It may be a bit of a logistics feat to figure out how to get transportation back to the beginning, but I've done the train and while it's extremely beautiful and well-worth doing, it can be very long and monotonous going both ways with it. When we did it, someone recommended we do it one-way...didn't listen and wish we'd had.

Trip sounds fantastic.
The Bus ride back is a $17 upgrade to you ticket price and you just make the choice when you by your train ticket.

Quick Reply: Coloardo and Arizona trip