Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thoughts on Blue Ridge Parkway

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2009, 04:05 PM
UALCapt
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't miss the Wheels Through Time motorcycle museum in Maggie Valley!

http://wheelsthroughtime.com/

Old 01-20-2009, 05:23 PM
09RKC
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

>>Definitely take a ride to the top of Grandfather Mountain<<

Tkx for this tip! Google GM, it looks great. Even shows the bridge. I'm going BRP mid-May and've put this tip in my trip .

Tkx again!

Old 01-20-2009, 05:27 PM
TASSY5
Intermediate

Rode it in 04, 05, and 07 Tenn, Kentucky, NC AND SC. All awesome rodes to ride. Ride the Cumberland Gap also as it is a nice ride.
go to the Wheels in Time motorcycle museum when there also.

Old 01-20-2009, 06:07 PM
09RKC
Tourer

>>To many Crotch Rockets for me<<

I'm doing all routes mentioned in this thread, and this is the only downside of this trip I have. They scare the crap out of me, really shake me up. I hate getting old...

In the HOG meeting the other night we talked about debris on the highway. To me, CRs are the definition. That's not very tolerant of me. So sorry...

Old 01-20-2009, 09:30 PM
Watchfuliz
Road Captain
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Wayah rode out of Franklin, NC.
1001 out of Eljay.
276 through the Cradle of the Forestry.
64 across southern NC.

Just a few more rodes in that area you should look at. Use google earth to look at them.

Old 01-20-2009, 09:55 PM
stu07hd
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OK, I did on my BRP and Skyline drive last summer and here is the text from a write-up that I did.

Here is a link to the write-up with photos

http://www.pashnit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18539

I am a bit slow to post the story from my summer road trip that I took. The trip was a co-worker and I on June 7th to June 13th. I am on my 2007 Ultra Classic, he was riding a 2003 Road King Classic. We planned this trip for about 6 months. It was supposed to be 4 riders, then it was down to 3, then down to 2. I was sweating it thinking I may have to make it by myself, but Chris didn't back out on me.

Day One - We left Southern Indiana via US 231 to US 50 in a small town called Loogootee, Indiana. From there we went East. We were hoping to get much farther than we did on day one, but traffic snarls from severe flooding just to the north of our route slowed our progress. Day one was mostly uneventful other than a bonehead move by me in a parking lot trying to re-adjust my rain suit when I forgot my kickstand was up. The bike set over on the crash bar, nothing damaged but my ego. The end of day one was at Tar Hollow State Park near Chillocothee, Ohio.

Day 2 was US 50 heading east to Winchester Virgina. It was VERY hot. Temps were in the upper 90's in the valleys and not much cooler in the hills. We clipped part of Maryland on the way. US 50 in West Virgina was amazing. Lots of curves and views. We pushed it pretty hard most of the day.

Day 2 ended at a low dollar, high crime motel in Front Royal Virgina. Our plan was to camp every other night, but with the heat and swarming bugs in the mountains caused those camping plans to get scrapped. I cannot stress this enough. If you are ever in Front Royal stay away from the Blue Ridge Motel, that is unless you are into drug dealers and prostitues. We were gracious enough to have 3 police officers with the drug dog make their rounds there that night.

Day 3 started at the Northern end of the Skyline Drive. It was amazing. It was great to be in some upper elevations to get out of the heat. The 35 MPH speed limit wasn't great. We pushed it a bit and drove 5 - 10 over most of the day with no problems from the National Park Police.

We ended the Skyline Drive and started onto the Blue Ridge Parkway. Day 3 ended in Roanoke Virgina. It was very hot again. 96 degrees when we got into town. We needed another night in an air conditioned hotel with a pool. The Blue Ridge was almost as impressive as the Skyline Drive.'

Day 4 was on the Blue Ridge Parkway again. We were trying to get to Ashville to end the day, but a massive severe thunderstorm slowed us at Grandfather Mountain North Carolina.

Day 4 ended at Little Switzerland North Carolina. We rode for about 40 miles in the worst storm I have ever ridden in. Temps dropped to the low 50's and we got soaked even with good quality rain gear. I learned that my waterproof gloves are lots of things, but they are not water proof. We got lucky to run into some other riders who were also calling it quits for the day beause of the storm and the fact that we came up to a section of the road that was mostly blocked from a tree that was blown down. The heavy rain, fog, cold temps, and debris on the road made it to dangerous to continue for the day.

Day 5 was still South on the BRP. We had to take a detour just north of Ashville NC due to a section of the parkway that is closed due to a rockslide from over the winter. The section of the BRP south from Ashville was by far the best. There are great views, lots of tunnels and the point of the highest elevation.

Day 5 also included a stop at the Wheels through Time Motorcycle Museum in Maggie Valley NC. If you have any interest at all in vintage bikes, or bikes in general it will impress you. Day 5 was also where we finally got off the BRP at the southern terminus near Cherokee NC.

We ended Day 5 at Robbinsville NC. We were thinking camping, mother nature had other plans as severe storms surrounded us again. We stayed at the Microtel in Robbinsville. Nice place with lots of fellow bikers.
We also found out that Robbinsville is in a dry county. So much for having a few adult beverages that evening.

Day 6 was through Deals Gap. It was my third time riding the tail of the dragon. I like it. I don't think it is the greatest road in the world, but I dont think it is over-rated. We had no law enforcement officers on the dragon when we were there, but we also were there early in the day.

The rest of day 6 was mostly interstates home through two more severe storms. We were in a hurry and just kept riding through them. I had a blast on the trip. I was a bit sore when I got home, and a bit tired, but it was outstanding.

Old 01-20-2009, 10:26 PM
RickDeVon
Banned

If you do take a tour of Tenn check out FallCreek Falls and if you get a chance to ride across hwy 30 do it and across Suck Creek Mountain. I go to Tenn on three day weekends and just try to get lost.

Attached Thumbnails Thoughts on Blue Ridge Parkway-12321385429880.jpg  
Old 01-21-2009, 01:36 AM
Avmech97
Road Master
Thumbs up

+1 on the Cherohala Skyway also Little River Road in the Smoky Mountain Park is a good ride. 441 between Cherokee N.C and Gatlinburg Tenn. is a nice ride as long as you don't get caught behind an RV.

Old 01-21-2009, 01:39 AM
CSMHOG
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 281 Likes on 177 Posts

You need to run from the southern most point in Georgia until you get tired going north ... if that's possible. That's the best ride I've ever been on. I'll do it again soon!

Old 01-21-2009, 05:31 AM
skootchnc
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 501 Likes on 259 Posts

I'm on board with everything above... except "wheels through time"... not because it wasn't great, but because it closed in November,2008
Side trips.... Actually... just about ANY exit off the BRP will put you on a great road
but here are a few of MY favorites
1)Bedford VA D Day Memorial.... schedule a half day there.... you'll be glad you did
2) Tuggles Gap South on VA-8 to Woolvine VA, left on VA-40 to Ferrum, left on Ferrum Mnt Rd, back to the BRP
3) Fancy Gap US-52 south to Mt Airy NC (Mayberry)
4) NC-18 Laurel Springs Station's Inn
5) Little Switerland
6) Beech Gap (NC215) either direction.

I think I figured it would take me, about 2 months to do my "ideal" BRP ride... yeah... you COULD do it end to end on one long summer's day.... but then I think you'd miss the charm... as well as all the side roads....

If that area ain't heaven... it's close but then, so are the Rockies, the Ozarks, the Alps etc etc

Quick Reply: Thoughts on Blue Ridge Parkway