Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NITROGEN filled tires ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2009, 11:12 AM
Raptor1956
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NITROGEN filled tires ?

Anyone have their tires filled with nitrogen? My dealership is offering nitrogen filling for $6 bucks per tire. Is it worth it? I know it is only 12 dollars.

Old 01-20-2009, 11:16 AM
KoalaCowboy
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nitrogen is used by many 'high end' car dealers as well as in racing applications, as Nitrogen does not expand/contract as much as Air does.

It provides for a more consistent tire pressure, however, if you are out on a road trip and find your tire pressure is low or you have a flat, it may be hard to fill with nitrogen @ Joe Blows tire shop in BFE nowhere...

All things considered, I don't think I'd do it right now.

Old 01-20-2009, 11:21 AM
bksmoky
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I found the following on a web search:
How much does Nitrogen cost?
Nitrogen is a DRY light gas that does not burn. The air we breathe is 78% Nitrogen.

How much does Nitrogen cost?
The Cost to inflate your tires with Nitrogen is $5 per tire. We will purge the compressed air (oxygen) out of you tire and re-inflate the tire with Dry Nitrogen.

What if I need to add air at some point and don't have access to Nitrogen?
Not a problem. Just top off with air from any compressor. You may lose a little of the benefit of the nitrogen but once you get back home just stop by and we will re-purge your tires for you.

Do I have to pay every time I get Nitrogen added?
No. The only time you have to pay again is when you have a new tire or tube installed.

I have heard that Nitrogen actually helps maintain my tires pressure longer. Is that true?
Yes. A Nitrogen molecule is much bigger than Oxygen. The reason tires loose pressure is because the oxygen molecules actually seep through the rubber and out into the air. Because Nitrogen molecules are bigger they can penetrate the rubber as quickly. On average tire pressures maintain about 3-4 times longer with Nitrogen the regular air.

Where can I find out more about Nitrogen?
For more information about Nitrogen, call or visit Mitchell's Modes

Old 01-20-2009, 11:28 AM
bksmoky
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Additional comment from a Harley dealer?
Nitrogen Filled Tires

Smoky Mountain Harley-Davidson & Buell is the only Motorcycle dealer in East Tennessee currently offering Nitrogen filled tires exclusively for motorcycles. Nitrogen is a much safer alternative for tire inflation. If has been used for decades on commerical and military aircraft, NASCAR, Formula 1 and Indy racecars as well as heavy mining and construction vehicles. Nitrogen maintains better tire pressure, keeps tires 20% cooler, improves handling and can reduce tire failures by as much as 80%.

Old 01-20-2009, 11:48 AM
rocknrod
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I followed this in the past. Laws attempting to be passed etc for notrogen filled tires.
It all led back to companies who will make money on same supporting these laws.
Do you need it? No.
If it makes you feel good. Do it.

Old 01-20-2009, 12:06 PM
1badbagger
Road Warrior
Received 1,756 Likes on 463 Posts

Swamp Land for sale, free nitrogen for free with every purchase !

Old 01-20-2009, 12:10 PM
UltraDuke
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

another nitrogen do you use it thread. there are pages and pages of nitrogen in tires posts on this site. please someone kill this thread. btw. no i dont use it. dont like it. dont understand it. take your pick. nitrogen is the debil. lol

Old 01-20-2009, 12:24 PM
jmeyer58
Road Captain
Received 87 Likes on 56 Posts

I fill my tires with 79% nitrogen, 20% oxygen and 1% other gases and I have never had a failure due to the gasses in the tire. Forget the straight nitrogen, it is NO SAFER than regular air. What is unsafe is not checking your air pressure on a regular basis.

Old 01-20-2009, 12:46 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 109 Posts

i had air in my tires for about 6 months on my dodge nitro when i bought it back in nov 07. in that 6 months I prolly put air in them 3 times during cold months....

i heard about nitrogen back then and decided to try it. haven't had to add air to my tires since. and one thing I did notice.. the tires are quieter.... hell maybe that's just the little bell that keeps dinging in my head but it seems they are quieter....

Old 01-20-2009, 12:55 PM
Geoff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 662 Likes on 412 Posts

For anything besides racing applications, nitrogen is a total waste of money.

Quick Reply: NITROGEN filled tires ?