Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heat shield for thigh

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2006 | 04:58 AM
Stretchman
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Default RE: Heat shield for thigh

How do the RJS ones install? Am looking real hard at them. Also, do they trap the heat around the rear cylinder? Or does it vent elsewhere? TIA

Old 04-22-2006 | 07:07 AM
Trailfndr
Outstanding HDF Member

Here are the EGlideGoodies ones on my bike...I bought the smoked grey ones and really like them.

[IMG]local://upfiles/9327/59B99497DAC541AAB5027997CC17061A.jpg[/IMG]

Old 04-22-2006 | 02:39 PM
05 Ultra
Road Master

Taking off the lowers wont help you at all. The heat (at least for me) is unbearable when you are in traffic or at a red light. Once moving its more or less gone. I went with a true dual set up from Fullsac. Should have done it long ago! The heat is GONE! Not masked.

ORIGINAL: cliff7122

I have not thought about that, making engine hotter. I am thinking about removing my lowers this year.

Old 05-12-2006 | 05:12 AM
zoood
Former Sponsor

Well I guess jumping in here is as good a place as any. I'm RJ, the questions you guys are asking aout my product. I can answer them for you. Initial Installation only takes under 5 minutes. You can remove and install them after that in just 3 seconds a side. So you can use them when you want to. I leave mine on all 4 seasons. They do not trap heat. I alloted spaces to prevent that. My product went up for reveiw at the Harley-Davidson Corp., when I first started. They didn't contract meor offer to buy my patent, personally I think they were dissappointed in their engineers . That I came up with the idea and patented it before they did. I've been selling them 4 years now. I made em blend in with the harley's looks. Their made of aluminum and are covered with a vinyl that matches the grain of your seat. Looks to be an extention of your saddle. Aluminum doesn't melt as to where lexan does. I've been taking orders from enforcement agencies for they motorcycle brigades. You know those guys experience heat big time. I've had mine on for 8 years and still look like the day I put them on. So I really don't know how long they last. If there's anyother questions, email me or just ask away in here. I'll be glad to answer, when I have a break from production.

Old 05-12-2006 | 08:21 AM
hobojo1
Advanced

Thanks RJ for jumping in and getting us straight. We appreciate it. Your product sounds like it will do the trick.

Hobo J

Old 05-12-2006 | 11:19 AM
05 Ultra
Road Master

RJ,
Its great to see a vendor here on the boards. Shows you know where your buisness comes from. And so much of it is from word of mouth. Or type now.
Oh...I'm sure Harleys trying to find away to make something like your shields and call them their own...

Old 05-12-2006 | 12:21 PM
bikergirl40
Elite HDF Member

ORIGINAL: zoood

Well I guess jumping in here is as good a place as any. I'm RJ, the questions you guys are asking aout my product. I can answer them for you. Initial Installation only takes under 5 minutes. You can remove and install them after that in just 3 seconds a side. So you can use them when you want to. I leave mine on all 4 seasons. They do not trap heat. I alloted spaces to prevent that. My product went up for reveiw at the Harley-Davidson Corp., when I first started. They didn't contract meor offer to buy my patent, personally I think they were dissappointed in their engineers . That I came up with the idea and patented it before they did. I've been selling them 4 years now. I made em blend in with the harley's looks. Their made of aluminum and are covered with a vinyl that matches the grain of your seat. Looks to be an extention of your saddle. Aluminum doesn't melt as to where lexan does. I've been taking orders from enforcement agencies for they motorcycle brigades. You know those guys experience heat big time. I've had mine on for 8 years and still look like the day I put them on. So I really don't know how long they last. If there's anyother questions, email me or just ask away in here. I'll be glad to answer, when I have a break from production.
I have a couple of questions for you. Will these work in stop and go traffic (especially where you're more stopped than moving)? Will these make my bike overheat even more during this time? Will this direct that extreme heat elsewhere where it will melt something. (Note: I ride a fatboy)

Old 05-12-2006 | 04:20 PM
zoood
Former Sponsor

Bikergirl, First get yourself a coffee and then sit back and read this; I designed them for that stop and go traffic we all hate gettin caught up in. Let's look at something here. If I'm caught in the more stop than go traffic your referrin too. My bike will get hot. They are air -cooled. Some common sense, which I know I have. I will pull over to the shoulder and shut it down. Whether you have delectors or not. Without air flow, my bike will get extremely hot. If I had a radiator like some other models. Over heating wouldn't be a problem for the bike, but for my inner thighs it would. Now on the other hand. When you come to a stop and the traffic flow is intermittent. (stop n go) My product design. Is just like for example; if u place one hand over the heat coming up that would contact your thighs. You will notice the extreme heat. Now if you place your other hand over the first hand. You will notice an extreme difference in heat reduction. What I'm saying is,... My product will be an insert or sheild that keeps your inner thighs from being in direct contact with the heat that will normally rise to your inner thighs. Whether my products in place or not. The design for air flow on our engines, allows air to flow through the fins for cooling. However, after this. HD didnt care where the heat went from this point. On older style bikes as mine (1992 flhtp). There was an opening between the 2 down tubes of the frame, located over the starter and under the seat. The heat that was expelled off the engine would be deflected to this area and resulting in added heat under your seat and on the rear tire as well. On the newer model versions. HD placed a steel plate to alliviate the heat in these areas. But upon doing so. The heat now has even more of a direct path to follow,... right up into your inner thigh area and under your seat! A simple rule of thumb that I use is this. If I feel that my engines getting hot. I pull over on shoulder or shut it down right there when it's safe to do so. My product doesn't make your bike run hotter, nor does it make it run cooler. Its only designed to protect you. I realize that the pictures on my site. At first glance, makes it look like a heat trap. But I assure you that it isnt. I've HD dealerships that purchase from me. Because, alot of new first time buyers/riders will test ride a bike around the block and come back and decide against purchasing because of the heat the bike generates towards their inner thighs. My standard version is what they purchase from me. Because it looks factory/stock. It doesnt take away from the beauty of your scoot. But actually compliments it. A note off the side from this, without mentioning names. The company thats producing the plastic styles is infringinging on my US patent and in due time.... we'll you can figure that one out. But what they do have out there. They have nothing for your fat boy. Where as I do. If you go to my site. I'm still waiting on some of my softail customers to send me pictures of their night trains (which is the same style) as your fatboy. So I can post them on my site. The style yours would take is that of the Heritage Softail. Just no studs. [URL=http://www.rjsoriginals.bizland.com/heritage_softail_2000.htm/link]
Eventually I'll be adding some charactoristics to the softail deflectors that will make them blend in even more with your model's styling. Also, I feel it important for me to add this as well. My product is 100% made. I don't deal with foreign manufactures and myself and 4 other US Veterans make them by hand here in the USA and from only USA material manufacturers. You can't get no more American made than that! And my asking price is more than fair when you take into consideration as too how much you layed out, just to purchase your bike in the first place. I hope this helps you and if you all have anymore questions, please just ask away. RJ

Old 05-12-2006 | 05:51 PM
Bruce00
Extreme HDF Member

ORIGINAL: zoood

I don't deal with foreign manufactures and myself and 4 other US Veterans make them by hand here in the USA and from only USA material manufacturers. You can't get no more American made than that! RJ

And with that I just ordered a set. Two minutes later I get an e-mail with the USPS tracking number

Old 05-22-2006 | 10:56 PM
zoood
Former Sponsor

Bruce00, let me see a picture of em on your scoot. thanks, RJ

Quick Reply: Heat shield for thigh