Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reasons for better 09 Bagger ride

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2009, 07:11 PM
Ozoneman
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reasons for better 09 Bagger ride

I've heard a lot of people saying the better ride of the 09 bagger is due to the new frame design. How about the other changes? How much is from the frame and how much from other changes? I was told the 17 inch front wheel is actually the same size as the 16 inch and the difference is in the width of the side wall. The 17 inch has less sidewall so there is less flexing of the tire in turns. They also added trail to the front end to make the ride feel more responsive. Then there is the tread design of the new tires. I'm sure the stiffer frame is part of the reason, but how much is the result of the other changes?

Old 01-19-2009, 07:28 PM
ULTRA ZOOM
Cruiser
Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts

Another reason is the wider back tire. I rode a 08 and then a 09 , I like the way the 09 handles. To me it seems much more stable ,takes turns much better.Has more ground clearnce.

Old 01-19-2009, 07:43 PM
flyingace
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Ozoneman
I've heard a lot of people saying the better ride of the 09 bagger is due to the new frame design. How about the other changes? How much is from the frame and how much from other changes? I was told the 17 inch front wheel is actually the same size as the 16 inch and the difference is in the width of the side wall. The 17 inch has less sidewall so there is less flexing of the tire in turns. They also added trail to the front end to make the ride feel more responsive. Then there is the tread design of the new tires. I'm sure the stiffer frame is part of the reason, but how much is the result of the other changes?
Could not tell you what percentage is what. All I know is what they did works. The shocks were also beefed up, and I THINK they tweaked the forks as well (damping rates).

I think part of it IS the lower profile tires (less sidewall flex). The tires, so far as I can tell, are vast improvement over the older Dunlops. Dunno how they will wear, but I sure like how they ride.

Old 01-19-2009, 07:53 PM
beary
Grand HDF Member
Received 283 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by Ozoneman
I was told the 17 inch front wheel is actually the same size as the 16 inch and the difference is in the width of the side wall. The 17 inch has less sidewall so there is less flexing of the tire in turns.
That makes sense. The 09 RKC has a 16 inch front wheel, while all the other touring bikes have 17s.

Typically a wider tire doesn't translate into better handling, so I wonder about that.

Beary

Old 01-19-2009, 08:06 PM
Arizona
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I dont know what to attribute it too, but yes it rides NICE is all I can say - a very positive feeling. That slight little wavering feel in tight turns that I could feel in my '05 EGC is now gone with this '09.

Old 01-19-2009, 08:47 PM
Maggie
Advanced
Default Why 09?

The reasons I spent the bucks to go from an 07 SG to an 09 Ultra were many: however, the first two are the most important ones, new frame design that among other improvements eliminated the high speed engine wobble when cornering and the next was Brembo 4-piston fixed caliper brakes with ABS. Those two things were HUGE for me. The other things that helped my decision were: 6 gallon gas tank, (for me, I wanted lowers, even though not an 09 thing), the idle temperature management system, which shuts off spark and fuel to the rear cylinder when at idle, a fly-by-wire throttle is now standard, 1 degree of lean angle was added on each side, some have stated info on the tires, but added to that is the new 28 spoke cast aluminum wheels are nice.

Coming back from Sturgis last summer and taking sweepers on the mountain passes on the 07 SG and feeling that engine wobble was really enough for me!! This new bike design holds its line and completes turns like it is on rails. Very impressive improvements.

Old 01-19-2009, 08:59 PM
TODDNVAL
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I to came from a 07 SG and my 09 Ultra handles the turns so much better, more like it's on rails. We are both on the heavy side and on the 07 riding 1up vs 2 up was a big handling difference, on the 09 1up vs 2up is not much difference at all.

Old 01-19-2009, 10:01 PM
cap5369
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The one thing that I have noticed is that 5th gear is better, on the 07 EGC it felt kind of sluggish but on the 09 every gear is solid.

Old 01-19-2009, 10:12 PM
dave7mm
Cruiser

Im moving from a 05 Standard to a 09 Road Glide.I test rode a UC and I couldn't believe the better ride of the UC over my standard.Always had a RG in the back of my mind.So I ordered.
dave