Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Warranty question when adding PCV, SE-1, Pipes

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2009, 10:55 PM
Twinrider
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. Combustion
TwinRider: Roadside emissions are routinely monitored in states such as CA and the northeast.
Yikes, things have changed since I left in '91....

Old 02-17-2009, 02:03 PM
jd533
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

did anyone have to sign a damage release before the dino? my dealer doesnt want to covor it if they blow it up or cause any damage while doing the dyno.

Old 02-17-2009, 04:48 PM
RODEO
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RODEO
By the early Spring, I think I am going to be inclined to do it too (Full Stage 1 with the PC-V but with HD Touring Mufflers or SuperTrapp SE's). The improvements outweigh the warranty risk I feel. I can't believe how much money I've spent just since buying this bike months ago so I need to start tempering my spending over more time. A couple more months I can wait...
WOW

I just saw my old post and realize I wrote that not one month ago and my Stage 1 is already complete! So much for tempering my spending and waiting a few months huh?

Old 02-17-2009, 05:07 PM
JayStronghawk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 280 Likes on 215 Posts

Well I have done the Stage 1 after letting the dealer do their 1,000 Miles service ( included with sale ) Is pretty much my own baby now, pray that warranty issue don't happen .. But not gonna ride without enjoying it being like i want. Far better response and more pleasure to ride with the Stage 1 Sound and Performance.. Life is too short letting it sit Bone Stock 2 years when can see it's running cooler and better with the Stage 1..

Old 02-17-2009, 06:30 PM
Leonidas
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HarryDavidson
It's right there in the Parts and Accessories catalog...warranty applies only if installed by dealer at time of delivery. Not sure how the dealer/MoCo tracks this...you may be able to have the dealer back date a receipt and be okay.

Harry
So because it's "right there on the parts and accessory catalog" it makes it a binding legal contract? Let me tell you something, after studying contract law for a few years I have some knowledge of binding legalities in contracts... putting it on the cover of the parts & accessory catalog for one, definitely doesn't constitute a contract. Secondly, if you put a clause in a contract that is not legal or violates a legal act, then you cannot be held to it. I have a friend who is a mechanic at a HD dealership, he's told me first hand of a pile of experiences he's had with the warrenty... the 2 year factory warrenty period is a bitch, they will try and screw you anyway they can to avoid doing warranty work, and if you don't know your rights, they win... that being said, if you do know your rights (they do have to prove such user performed modifications were the culprit in regards to engine failure etc, and if they cannot prove this, they are fully obligated to live up to their end of the warranty) they will not drag this out too far, as the legal ramifications in many cases cost much more then just doing the repair... and if they lose, then they pay legal costs and your repair costs.. it's lose lose for them... Now according to my inside 411, the extended warranty is quite different and nowhere near as **** about user modifications. In the end, cover your *** and you'll be fine... simple stage 1 kit is very unlikely to cause failure, unless you run a bad map... so trust your source (Fuel Moto is top notch in this dept, as they've dyno'd hundreds of bikes and have tons of experience), if anything, doing the stage one will prolong the life of your engine(as it runs much cooler)

Just my $0.02, take it for what it's worth... I just did my Stage 1 and have absolutely 0 regrets.