Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Warranty question when adding PCV, SE-1, Pipes

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2009, 05:09 PM
pled55
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

does anyone know of or have been denied or otherwise hassled by a dealer or moco
for something going wrong and not directly related to stage one or aftermarket parts ?
i don't know of one .i think the odds are very slim .unless you fry a motor from bad mapping or installation. my opinion only

Old 01-19-2009, 05:50 PM
RODEO
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fuelmoto
-----------Deleted--------I am done with this thread, as I am here to provide info not to argue
Oh go ahead and make a case, we appreciate hearing any and all angles of this issue and you certainly have earned your place here on the Forum and an opinion too.

Old 01-19-2009, 06:21 PM
Twinrider
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by wldbill
Way back in 1993, we had a group in our company that was working on a system to measure auto emissions as the vehicle was driving past our sensor. It wouldn't surprise me at all to hear that 16 years later, someone has made a setup as handy as the radar/laser speed gun for measuring emissions on the fly.
But even then you'd have to determine if said emissions were/were not the legal standard for that vehicle when it was manufactured, awfully hard to do roadside. Which is why most locales simply have a set inspection. I have to deal with it every two years myself here in Japan. Bikes made before 2002 have a far lower standard to pass than later models, which all have to have cats.

Anyhow, just ordered the Power Package. Looking forward to more grunt and no more pinging in traffic.

Old 01-19-2009, 07:42 PM
HarryDavidson
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Jamie,

Don't take it personally...I'm not trying to hurt your bottom line, and I'm not trying to question your integrity. In fact, I plan to add an exhaust, AC, and chip to my bike soon, and will very likely use your setup...I've even e-mailed you in the past for pricing.

But that doesn't change the facts. Magnusson moss has almost no teeth in the case of mods that CAN affect the engine. Harley CAN and DOES void warrantees for aftermarket intake/exhaust/chips. That doesn't mean that they will, but it is a possibility and claiming that Magnusson-Moss will protect people is simply not realistic in every case. Most good dealers will help you out, but not all dealers are good dealers.

BTW, Magnusson-Moss is very much a player if they try to void your engine warranty because you lowered the rear end or added more lights. And that is exactly what the act was inteded to cover...adding a component doesn't void the warranty on non-associated components.

Harry

Old 01-19-2009, 07:54 PM
papifun
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

my dealer said that if a major failure and high warranty expense item is required, HD will send a inspector to verify the claim is valid. so seems we are talking about major engine failure.. my dealer says Stock is ok, putting in a fuel mangement is ok but dealer will have to set it up. id we as a user tinker with what the dealer set it at, then it can be a issue. Yes i have the 7 year warranty. i added slip ons and stage 1 download. i am really interested in the PC V since i get popping at deaccleration and i will remove the XIED's.
can we just unplug the PCV when scoot needs to be brought in for service ?

Old 01-19-2009, 08:30 PM
scasey
Road Master

Originally Posted by fuelmoto
It is important first to note that the dealer does not make the warranty the Motor Company does, and what most dealers do not want you to know is that you have legal rights as a consumer to change the components on your bike and have the freedom to use the parts you choose Werther OEM or otherwise. The Federal government enacted the Magnuson-Moss Act to protect consumers from the OEM's which can be read here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuson-Moss_Warranty_Act which states unless the aftermarket component causes a direct failure which can be completely proven, they do not have the power to void your warranty for using non OEM parts. Secondly, it is just dishonety and a lie if your dealer tells you that you need to use a Harley tuning product or they have to install them to keep your warranty as the Harley Screamin Eagle Race tuner (SERT) and Screamin Eagle Super Tuner (SEST) have the following statment right on the package seal "WARRANTY IMPLICATIONS APPLY, USE OF THIS PRODUCT OR SIMILAR MAY REDUCE OR VOID YOUR VEHICLE WARRANTY, THIS PRODUCT IS FOR OFF ROAD RACE VEHICLES ONLY, NEVER TO BE RIDDEN ON PUBLIC ROADS" you must also accept these terms everytime you open the software as well yet these are the products your dealer will tell you "will not void your warranty"
Also consider this, when is the last time you heard here or anywhere else that an individual was denied warranty coverage because they installed a stage 1 setup? It is all in the honesty of your dealer.

I guess I am just a moron but I don't see in the ACT where it says "which states unless the aftermarket component causes a direct failure which can be completely proven, they do not have the power to void your warranty for using non OEM parts" Can you show me exactly where it says that, I'm, not saying it isn't there but I don't see it.

I was thinking about putting in the Screamin Eagle PRO Stage 3 kit 103inch but my local dealer says that if I don't install it the day of purchase then it is not covered under warranty. This pi**'d me off b/c I don't understand why they would say that. It's warrantied one day and not the next????

Old 01-19-2009, 08:34 PM
vertigo14
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

putting in a fuel mangement is ok but dealer will have to set it up... not

is exactly what the Magnusson-Moss is suppost to protect.. as long as you do it correctly eh...

do it yourself if you know how.. if you don't then let someone who knows do it

Old 01-19-2009, 08:49 PM
RODEO
Outstanding HDF Member

By the early Spring, I think I am going to be inclined to do it too (Full Stage 1 with the PC-V but with HD Touring Mufflers or SuperTrapp SE's). The improvements outweigh the warranty risk I feel. I can't believe how much money I've spent just since buying this bike months ago so I need to start tempering my spending over more time. A couple more months I can wait...

Last edited by RODEO; 01-19-2009 at 09:10 PM.
Old 01-19-2009, 09:42 PM
Dr. Combustion
Cruiser

TwinRider: Roadside emissions are routinely monitored in states such as CA and the northeast. One of our trucks was sited for visible emissions (diesel smoke). I know of several people who failed a visual emissions and/or sniff test inspection when CHiPs pulled them over. They lost their ride then and there. I have also been part of a roadside inspections conducted by the state partrol in OH and in NH. Your VIN number on your registration is all they need to determine what the emissions should be. Yes, they do happen.

Old 01-19-2009, 10:39 PM
HarryDavidson
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by scasey
I was thinking about putting in the Screamin Eagle PRO Stage 3 kit 103inch but my local dealer says that if I don't install it the day of purchase then it is not covered under warranty. This pi**'d me off b/c I don't understand why they would say that. It's warrantied one day and not the next????
It's right there in the Parts and Accessories catalog...warranty applies only if installed by dealer at time of delivery. Not sure how the dealer/MoCo tracks this...you may be able to have the dealer back date a receipt and be okay.

Harry

Quick Reply: Warranty question when adding PCV, SE-1, Pipes