Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Warranty question when adding PCV, SE-1, Pipes

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2009, 08:26 AM
cdale976
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do your thing man. If your dealer wants to be a dick there aint much you can do about it anyway. Most around here at least support mods because most folks ridin do mods.

Old 01-19-2009, 08:51 AM
dirtdobber
Elite HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

At 1,000 miles I went to a stage 1. Thunder Creek HD has a guy that does nothing but helps with accessories while the bike is less than 30 days old. He phoned moco while I was there. They told him anything on a certain page. (been too long to remember what page) It was all V&H products. Had the stage 1 done with their recommendations. I have had my bike serviced at many locations in the U.S. and had a seal go out in the primary while in Ok. no questions were asked. Done under warranty. I would not be too concerned about a stage 1. However, internally modified will most likely be something else; with the exception of a 103/110 kit done under 30 days. That is questionable though.
Jim

Old 01-19-2009, 09:10 AM
DrPlastic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

Well put FuelMoto...and to add to your statement this also goes for performing your own services. You can use any oil and filter you want as long as it meets H-D's specs. Just because you did it yourself or didn't use H-D oil does not void your warranty. Don't let the dealer buffalo you into that too. Magnusson-Moss also states that unless those parts and services are provided free for the course of the warranty than you cannot have your warranty voided just because you did the work yourself and/or used non H-D parts or oil. Just tell them that when they tell you, that they just violated federal law. That usually clams them up for a bit! There's nothing a salesman/service writer hates more is a educated consumer!

Last edited by DrPlastic; 01-19-2009 at 09:13 AM.
Old 01-19-2009, 09:39 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

Rodeo: That seven year "warranty" is really a "service contract" so it can be much easier to deny coverage to a claim than the warranty situation described by FuelMoto (Jamie). Read the contract and you will see some pretty strict provisions regarding engine modifications.

I suggest anyone using an aftermarket fuel management device consider having a dyno runs done to record AFR at various rpms and load. The purpose of having this done is to provide you with evidence that the device has been installed correctly to deliver the correct fuel. If you have this and have an engine issue under warranty, you will have proof that the AF was correct. It will provide you with peace of mind, but also prevent the device from being pointed to as the reason for the engine malfunction. Fuel management devices have the potential for causing serious engine damage (hence the disclaimer/warning in the SERT and SEST for example). I had a dyno record which I provided to Rinehart/BUB when I had a chrome issue with my Trual Duals heat shields that occurred shortly after the warranty expired and based in part on the dyno's recorded AFR, they replaced the heat shields free of charge.

Old 01-19-2009, 09:53 AM
wldbill
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Twinrider
I can't imagine the police ever implementing surprise roadside checks to measure exhaust emissions (though they might check for noise levels). I can envision more states implementing mandatory emissions inspections, in which case it would be easy enough to unplug the PCV and reinstall the stock cans and air cleaner.
Way back in 1993, we had a group in our company that was working on a system to measure auto emissions as the vehicle was driving past our sensor. It wouldn't surprise me at all to hear that 16 years later, someone has made a setup as handy as the radar/laser speed gun for measuring emissions on the fly.

Old 01-19-2009, 11:09 AM
RODEO
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Harleypingman
Rodeo: That seven year "warranty" is really a "service contract" so it can be much easier to deny coverage to a claim than the warranty situation described by FuelMoto (Jamie). Read the contract and you will see some pretty strict provisions regarding engine modifications.
Incorrect. There is a difference between the Service Contract and Extended Factory Warranty. I bought the extended warranty.

Old 01-19-2009, 11:22 AM
Cryptoboy
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 3,878 Likes on 1,415 Posts

Originally Posted by barjbar
It's always been my understanding if the dealership doesn't install it and you have some type of engine failure, they will not fix it under the warranty. In most cases they will say the enhancements caused the engine damage. I waited about 4 months before having the stage one done on my '08 Heritage by an indy. The stage one done by an indy is usually illegal. The pipes on both my bikes say "for off road use only". They also tune the bike for the best performance which is no longer emission compliant. The dealership has to stick to the law. That's why if you have the dealership do it the pipes now sound no louder than the stock pipes they replaced. There was federal legislature introduced a couple of years ago making it illegal for anyone to alter the pipes or exhaust emissions. Because they believed it would put so many independent motorcycle shops out of business, it was dropped.
Actually, if you think about what you just said, legally they can't really say that and expect it to hold water. The dealer installed 'illegal' pipes and it wouldn't affect the warranty, but someone else did it (especially another shop) and all of a sudden it's different? It doesn't matter where the install was done, illegal is illegal regardless!

You'd have to fight them, but they'd still have to prove that it was the parts you put in that caused the problem. With pipes/air cleaner/fuel mapping, that's highly unlikely to be the culprit. Now if you do any other mods (95" or 103", case splitting, new cams, etc.)......

Old 01-19-2009, 12:24 PM
HarryDavidson
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Crypto.

It doesn't make a bit of difference who installs it. Unless HD says it will not void the warranty (HD corporate, not your HD dealer), you have no guarantee.

Rodeo,

You bought a service contract. They call it an extended warranty, but it is properly referred to as an extended service contract (not to be confused with a maintenance contract, which would cover routine oil changes, etc).

Harry

Old 01-19-2009, 12:37 PM
fuelmoto
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,162 Likes on 1,355 Posts

-----------Deleted--------I am done with this thread, as I am here to provide info not to argue

Jamie Long / Fuel Moto USA
The USA's Leader V-Twin EFI & Performance www.fuelmotousa.com
Contact 920-423-3309
Email jamie@fuelmotousa.com

Last edited by fuelmoto; 01-19-2009 at 05:12 PM.
Old 01-19-2009, 04:26 PM
HarryDavidson
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Harley, Jackpot, or any other brand, installed by a dealer, indy or in your garage...it doesn't make a difference. The MoCo still owns the warranty process and they can and have voided warrantees and it is up to the individual to fight the army of corporate lawyers (and possibly EPA, CARB, etc) to make Magnusson-Moss work for you.

Harry

Quick Reply: Warranty question when adding PCV, SE-1, Pipes