Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Run my 09 stock or go for stage 1?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2009, 06:37 PM
Twinrider
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I ordered my Fuel Moto power package last night. Will post up my impressions after I fit it.

Old 01-19-2009, 08:28 PM
Dewky
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

As soon as I can afford it,I will be getting one of Jamies kits.The stock 09 mufflers on my EGS are just too damn quiet!!! I want to hear it bark when I give it some.

Old 01-25-2009, 06:06 PM
dthomps2002
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SERT vs Download

I was thinking of doing the SERT and Stage 1 A/C. I already have the SE slip-ons. What is the download you mention? Is it just the recalibration of the ECU to let you redline at 6200 rpm?

Old 01-26-2009, 05:36 PM
oldbagr
Road Master

Originally Posted by dthomps2002
I was thinking of doing the SERT and Stage 1 A/C. I already have the SE slip-ons. What is the download you mention? Is it just the recalibration of the ECU to let you redline at 6200 rpm?
The download is a preconfigured program (ECU calibration) from the HD library of programs that allows the dealer to do a simple download for the Stage 1 setup on your bike based on the specific type of mufflers, SE A/C, and SERT. This download also increases the redline to 6200 rpms on bikes with SERT's.

Old 01-26-2009, 05:51 PM
dthomps2002
6th Gear

So how much was the SERT when you did it if you don't mind me asking? Was it the $299.99? And did it include a dyno run?

Old 01-26-2009, 05:57 PM
103Eagle
Road Master
Received 111 Likes on 79 Posts

I never saw a SERT for $299, that would be a great deal. I believe the new super tuner list for $459, dyno runs are at least 2-3 hours labor if done right. Good Luck

Old 01-27-2009, 10:24 PM
oldbagr
Road Master

Originally Posted by dthomps2002
So how much was the SERT when you did it if you don't mind me asking? Was it the $299.99? And did it include a dyno run?
SERT is about $500 and does not include a Dyno. I had a Stage 1 done on the bike before I took delivery. Most shops recommend not doing a dyno until the bike is well broken in... at least 1,000 miles. Usually, they do a simple download with the Stage 1 install which tunes the bike for improved breathing (both intake and exhaust) as well as increasing the rpm limit to 6200 rpms. Stage 1 upgrade does not require a Dyno as most intake and exhaust combinations are already mapped into downloadable programs.

Old 01-28-2009, 08:24 AM
texaswiz
Banned
Received 67 Likes on 47 Posts

Dobeck engineering sells their TFI 1252 for 2009s @ $150.00 if you have served as a veteran in the U.S. military. HUGE savings as they love patriotism and show it. Call them and talk to Estell Dobeck. No, I don't have any relationship with them.

Old 01-28-2009, 10:29 AM
Buck Naked
Cruiser

Originally Posted by rmwrip
Just started riding kinda late in life (52) last summer. I have 2000 miles on an '09 ultra. Trying to decide if I should go ahead with stage 1 work. If I do, I'm pretty sure I'ld go for SE air cleaner,SERT, and either SE mufflers, Supertrapp, or some other quieter set of pipes. I talked to the service guy at my local dealer (Capitol City, Madison, WI) and his advice was actually to keep it stock. He said most people have been happy with the 09's sound and performance without mods. The sales guy I talked to said,of course, I should go for it.

Just looking for a few more opinions. Are people satisfied with their 09's stock? Pros and cons (besides $$$) going for stage 1? If I do this I want to do it now before I put more miles on. Also suggestions for mufflers that will add performance and stay on the quieter side would be appreciated.

Thanks
You know, I never thought I would catch myself saying this after years of having loud, obnoxiously loud, and ridiculously loud pipes on various bikes, but after getting an '09 RKC--I'm probably going to keep mine stock...for now, anyway! I've got about 1400 miles on mine since last Oct.--not a lot of miles, but enough that I've come to enjoy being able to listen to my mp3 player going down the road without it being full blast, and being able to talk to the guys I ride w/ at a stop light without them repeating themselves 3 & 4 times. It is most definitely a personal thing, and I still like great sounding pipes, but I think this go around, I'm going to save myself the expense and bypass the pipes. I'm not that old (40), and voiding a warranty has never been a concern, primarily because I figure HD will figure out a way to say I've voided it anyway (too many miles, not enough miles, wrong pipes, they didn't install whatever, breathed on it in a non HD manner, etc)....

Old 01-29-2009, 09:18 AM
tririder
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rmwrip
Just started riding kinda late in life (52) last summer. I have 2000 miles on an '09 ultra. Trying to decide if I should go ahead with stage 1 work. If I do, I'm pretty sure I'ld go for SE air cleaner,SERT, and either SE mufflers, Supertrapp, or some other quieter set of pipes. I talked to the service guy at my local dealer (Capitol City, Madison, WI) and his advice was actually to keep it stock. He said most people have been happy with the 09's sound and performance without mods. The sales guy I talked to said,of course, I should go for it.

Just looking for a few more opinions. Are people satisfied with their 09's stock? Pros and cons (besides $$$) going for stage 1? If I do this I want to do it now before I put more miles on. Also suggestions for mufflers that will add performance and stay on the quieter side would be appreciated.

Thanks
I, too, am new at this, so I asked my dealer what would give me the most oomph for the money. He said cams were the answer. So, I had them install pipes, SERT, SE A/C, Python slip-ons and SE 255 cams. HUGE difference!

Quick Reply: Run my 09 stock or go for stage 1?