Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Run my 09 stock or go for stage 1?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2009, 07:23 PM
RODEO
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Stage I or any alterations to the motor, EFI or Exhaust "could" void your MOCO warranty. Just something else to consider too.

Old 01-18-2009, 07:27 PM
bigdumbnoitall00
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 671 Likes on 535 Posts

another reason to go pc it can b removed in minutes

Old 01-18-2009, 07:51 PM
oldhippie
Stellar HDF Member
Received 117 Likes on 70 Posts

It's the same engine with the same EPA forcing a lean mix issue. HD did cool stuff rearranging the pipes and all that, and also with the rear cylinder shut down. But stage 1 will give you 10% more power and all in the right spots.

Do a Powercommander and pipes/AC!

Old 01-18-2009, 08:06 PM
Keith E.
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm going to give the PC V and Ness A/C a try on mine. '09 Ultra with 3500 miles so far, hopefully will pick up tomorrow.

Keith

Old 01-18-2009, 08:14 PM
Big Pig
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by RODEO
Stage I or any alterations to the motor, EFI or Exhaust "could" void your MOCO warranty. Just something else to consider too.
Not if he uses SE Stage 1 AF, SE pipes and SE tuner as he said he was. They are all Harley parts and will not void the warranty esp if he also has his dealer install them. I specifically ask my dealer and the MoCo also this on this past Friday as I am thinking about doing the SE Tuner.

Old 01-18-2009, 10:02 PM
gunner11
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Are YOU happy with it stock? If so, nobody else's opinion matters.

Old 01-18-2009, 10:22 PM
g money
Account Retired
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

If I bought a Caddy or Lincoln I wouldn't be concerned with changing exhaust and intake.
You have a Cadillac, not a dragster, enjoy as is.
Maybe I'm getting old but my 09 is the first HD that I will leave stock. Completely satisfied.
Gary D.

Old 01-18-2009, 10:41 PM
philgrocks
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For my 08 I got Monster Ovals (love the sound) and the SE Stage 1 air cleaner and the stage 1 download. Dealer said that was all I needed. I notice some poping when I decelerate, but no pinging.

I got a fuelpak, and put in the settings, but found it runs the bike too lean. I have asked Vance and hines what is going on this weekend, hope to get an answer on Monday.

I am very happy with the Monster ovals they look and sound great. Oh and I started riding again just about 4 years ago and I am 50 now.... So not too different than you.

If you want a quiet ride, stick with everything as is. If you want it to sound more like a harley should get the monster ovals and stage 1. My 2 cents.

Old 01-18-2009, 10:51 PM
oldbagr
Road Master

I did the Stage 1 with SEST, SE A/C, and SE Touring Slip-ons when I purchased my '09 Ultra. If you have the selling dealer install within 60 days of purchase and they are all HD parts, they will be covered under the original 24 month warranty. I had V&H Ovals on my '08 Ultra and thought they were too loud. The SE Touring Slip-ons are just a little louder than stock but give you the improved breathing that the V&H provide. The Stage 1 upgrade definitely brings the engine to life.

Old 01-18-2009, 10:52 PM
Cloud09King
Road Warrior

Are people satisfied with their 09's stock? Pros and cons (besides $$$) going for stage 1? If I do this I want to do it now before I put more miles on. Also suggestions for mufflers that will add performance and stay on the quieter side would be appreciated.
I would put a set of slip-ons on there (either SE or Rineharts) along with the download...DONE. Pros- A better sounding bike that'll give you a bit more power. Cons- Obviously the costs, less fuel mileage & the chance of backfiring. Alot of people on here will tell you that their bikes actually performed BETTER before the Stage 1 upgrade? Once you change the air cleaner then you need a SERT, Dyno & this is where you may runs into problems. Even with these Cons, I'd till like to get an H-D heavy breather myself down the road when I've got the extra cash which will require a SERT & Dyno. But for now, slip-ons & a download is what I'd recommend.

Quick Reply: Run my 09 stock or go for stage 1?