Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PCIII Questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2006, 09:17 AM
DensFLH
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PCIII Questions

I see there are several people selling the PCIII's on eBay. My EG Classic has 700 miles on it. I've searched the forum for info on PCIII's and found hundreds (well maybe just a lot) of info on different topics regarding PCIII's. What is involved in installing one with a completely stock motor, exhaust and air cleaner. It seems that once this is installed, modifications can be done and adjustments can be made without help from the dealerships. It would be expecting too much to think this is just a "plug & play" modification.

Old 04-16-2006, 09:20 AM
HD Renegade
Road Warrior
Default RE: PCIII Questions

There is really no sense in putting a PCIII on a stock motor. The PCIII is used to tune a motor with after market pipes and a Stage 1 Air Cleaner, or some other non-stock A/C

Bob

Old 04-16-2006, 10:17 AM
CHEYENNE
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It is a Plug n Play sorta, BUT for best performance your better off having the bike dyno tuned after any modifications done to the bike. The generic maps are starting points. Every bike is different but if your cheap it's the way to go.

Old 04-16-2006, 10:25 AM
bountyhunter
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To tune a PCIII, a modified bike (air kit/pipes or motor work) should go on a dyno. You will get the most out of your modifications if a pro dials it in PRECISELY! There are many variables involved, to get the best results for rideability/performance/fuel economy. A PCIII could marginally improve a STOCK bike with issues, but that should really be HD's responsibility!

Old 04-16-2006, 12:10 PM
Neggy ZRXOA 5248
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 821 Likes on 462 Posts

I must disagree, I bought a PC III USB ( that's the one you want forget the rest there were issues) and have it on my currently stock bike.

Now I do plan on doing upgrades so I know there will be re mapping in the future along with dyno time BUT

We have all heard how crappy these bikes are set up from the factory. It has to do with the battle between the MOCO and the EPA, and the inherent problems with keeping the air cooled V Twin within the smog regulations. The PC will resolve some of those issues even on a stock bike.

I have found the bike runs better and the lean pop on decell is gone.

Old 04-16-2006, 12:17 PM
luvmyflhtcui
Road Captain

If you are planning on upgrading your pipes and breather, then do it at the same time as you install your PCIII. You will need some sort of remapping with the addition of part, so rather than waste your time and money on the harley download (which is crap), go with the PCIII and then after you install your pipes and breather, take it to the local dyno tune guy with a good reputation and have him tweak your bike to run it's best.

Good luck.

Old 04-16-2006, 01:03 PM
turbo54
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

2000 RG had the pc 2 and I had a dino shop install the pc 3 It's pluged in with the ecm. I was having a bunch of popping and power lag at 25 @ 3 k rpm I. It's gone but I had to take it back for a fine tune the dino look so good .The RG seemed like it was flooding now way with efi. They added some fuel runs so much better now and I can let loose the throttle and the thunderheader come alive.There are so many maps to use.With a dino tune it should be a custom may with any up grades.

[IMG]local://upfiles/3159/223C5F6694E54045B1150DBC13FD89C8.jpg[/IMG]

Old 04-16-2006, 01:05 PM
bay13
Outstanding HDF Member

but if your cheap it's the way to go.
Or if you changed your air cleaner, and slip on pipes and are waiting for about the 1000 mile mark before you put in on a Dyno, it's a good thing to do. The canned(PCIII) map for my set up, got rid of the lean running condition, however, I know I'm rich right now, but having reached the 1000 mile mark, the Dyno is just an appointment away.

Old 04-16-2006, 02:15 PM
Bruce00
Extreme HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

I believe a PCIII would in fact help a stock bike. The factory has their hands tied by the EPA to make the bikes so lean. The MOCO can't do anything about that or they will face massive fines.
I question buying one on E-bay, unless its dirt cheap. Iam not to sure how any problems that might creap up will be handled by PowerCommander themselves.
If you go to their website, you can go to a state by state list of approved tuning centers.
You can get a "canned tune" off their site, but Iam betting their is none for a completely stock bike.

Btw..........Some of their dealers now have a new tuning software that lets the PCIII make changes on the fly while on the dyno. No need to make a pull, make changes, make another pull to check. Less time and less wear on t your bike

Good Luck

Old 04-16-2006, 05:16 PM
DeathWind
Tourer

I just purchased a PCIII Usb off of Ebay. It was delivered in 2 days and in the factory package. Downloaded the correct map to the PCIII, installed it, and now I can't believe I'm riding the same bike. Handles a lot better, more power where needed and decel popping is gone. I can't see spending $200-300 for Dyno Tuning (they wanted $300 at the Charleston Rally) if you are still modifying the bike or you will be doing little changes over time. Just research what you want to do with the bike. Then look at the Power Commander web site and see if there is a map there for you, or base your parts selection on maps available.

I bought my PC III from the seller axe207. Just find the PCIII part number and do a search for it on Ebay. Every online discount motorcycle shop wanted over $300 for the same thing. I paid $265 plus shipping. Just make sure you check the sellers feedback. That will tell you a lot about the person.

Ride Safe

Quick Reply: PCIII Questions