Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Packing for the Road

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2009, 07:12 AM
santajim
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 329 Likes on 224 Posts
Default Packing for the Road

Kinda new to the touring bike thing. Wife and I are planning some weekend and more trips this year. Any suggestions about what to pack and what to leave home.

Old 01-18-2009, 08:23 AM
PnDegc
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old 01-18-2009, 08:35 AM
santajim
Grand HDF Member
Thumbs up

Thanks for the link great list

Old 01-18-2009, 09:02 AM
TODDNVAL
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

We have learned over time how to roll our clothes better, we put a pair of jeans, socks, undies, and 1 or 2 shirts together and roll them tight and rubber band them. Once you get that done put 1 roll for you and 1 for her in a large ziplock bag and that 1 bag is all you have to get out at the motel plus we have a bathroom bag, then put the dirty ones back in that ziplock bag. We have found this to work really well and the ziplock bags are waterproof so you don't have to worry about your clothes getting wet. If you haven't rolled clothes much just lay them out and practice, you will be suprised how much difference there is in the way you fold and roll them, we can get 4 outfits in 1 saddlebag easy like this.

Old 01-18-2009, 09:11 AM
PnDegc
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your welcome. Do you have a tour pak organizer? Well worth it in our opinion. We also have the Saddle bag liners that act as suitcases. Again we like them - great when you pull into hotel. Others on here do Not care for them - so just our opinion. You should check them out. You can find organizers and other things here. http://eglidegoodies.com/
If you indulge in adult beverages AFTER the ride - take mini bottles -ez to place around.
We put a couple of bottles of water in the freezer and then take them with us.
And Never forget the pre-flight inspection-

Pat

Old 01-18-2009, 09:14 AM
santajim
Grand HDF Member

thanks todd great info going to have to try it

Old 01-18-2009, 09:16 AM
santajim
Grand HDF Member

yea have tour pak liners were practicing yesterday wife has already learned to pak alot thanks

Old 01-19-2009, 07:00 PM
capt_caveman
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

+1 on rolling clothes. We have the hard saddlebag liners and really like them. The soft ones work well too. It's nice to just open the saddlebag, grab the liners and head for the room.

Good rain gear and appropriate clothing (jacket, gloves, etc) for weather conditions. Riding in the rain is not bad unless you're wet and cold and then it gets miserable real quick.

If taking a long trip, take just a couple of days worth of clothes and wash them out.

Take old clothing (socks, underwear, t-shirts) and throw them out when dirty. Use the room to store new t-shirts or trinkets on the way home.

You'll probably spend most of your time riding so make sure you have what is necessary to be comfortable and safe on the bike. Any room that's left can be used for extra items for off the bike.

Share toiletries like toothpaste, deodorant, shampoo etc. to save space. Always good to pack things like this in zip lock bags in case they leak.

Sunscreen and lip balm are a must. Insect repellent is good too. I keep these in my saddleguard bag all the time.

Put items you need/want during the day in the tour pak so you can don't have to unpack the saddlebags.

Just some thoughts off the top of my head.

Last edited by capt_caveman; 01-19-2009 at 07:05 PM.
Old 01-19-2009, 07:21 PM
Whiskers
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 46 Posts

+1 on rolling pants. Good rain gear is an absolute MUST HAVE.

This year my wife and I took a cruise and she bought some air vent clothes bags from Wal-Mart. You fill the bag with your clothes, open the air vent at one end and roll the bag towards the vent to let out all the air and then close the vent. I couldn't believe how well they worked and how much more room we had (which equates to more clothes for the little lady!)...this year, I'm not going on any bike rides unless we use those bags again. They didn't cost much and are well worth it. They do break down after a couple weeks but thats just what happens.

Old 01-19-2009, 08:11 PM
Uncle Scrooge
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My wife and I like to take enough clothes for 4 days. Ride 3 full days and a short day on the fourth for doing laundry. We're ready for a recovery day by that time anyway. Heavy jackets and rain gear, which can double as a light jacket. Swim suits are an essential for us--nothing is better than a hot tub or dip after a long day.

Quick Reply: Packing for the Road