Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

08 Ultra accessory connection issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2009, 06:11 AM
sgdiesel
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 08 Ultra accessory connection issue

I am keen to power my GPS and Ipod through the accessory connection. All appeared straight forward, I bought the origianal HD cigarrete lighter connection with plug for accessory connection, located the connector under the left hand side cover and should have been just about job done.

Problem is that the accessory plug is permanently live and does not change state when I activate / deactivate the accessory rocker switch. I have run a multimeter across the 3 pins in the plug and this confirms my finding, either 12V or 0V, but state is NOT changing with the rocker switch. This bike is BRAND new. Any suggestions?

Old 01-18-2009, 06:26 AM
Deepsouth251
Road Master

Originally Posted by sgdiesel
I am keen to power my GPS and Ipod through the accessory connection. All appeared straight forward, I bought the origianal HD cigarrete lighter connection with plug for accessory connection, located the connector under the left hand side cover and should have been just about job done.

Problem is that the accessory plug is permanently live and does not change state when I activate / deactivate the accessory rocker switch. I have run a multimeter across the 3 pins in the plug and this confirms my finding, either 12V or 0V, but state is NOT changing with the rocker switch. This bike is BRAND new. Any suggestions?
Not sure, just a suggestion, the accessory rocker switch may operate the acces. plug under the seat, if it does only operate that one you may want to run the wire to it.

Old 01-18-2009, 06:42 AM
Trailfndr
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Forget the switch. There is an extra wire hookup directly behind the headlight (about 4 inches up from it) Wire to that and it will go off when you turn off the bike, and on when you start up.

Old 01-18-2009, 07:43 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

If the connector you found is three-wire, you haven't found the accessory connector since it will have four wires in it. Buy the Service Manual and check the wiring diagram. The three powered wires in the Accessory connector will be for run light, brake light, and switched power from the ACC switch. The fourth wire is a ground. The three wire connector you found is probably the data connector used to program the ECM.

Nothing wrong with your bike; you just haven't found the Accessory connector yet. And don't feel bad, 'cause this has happened to others as well.

Old 01-18-2009, 07:46 AM
racklefratz
Road Master

Originally Posted by sgdiesel
I bought the origianal HD cigarrete lighter connection with plug for accessory connection, located the connector under the left hand side cover and should have been just about job done.
IIRC, the only connector I found inside the left side cover was the one for my security system siren. The service manual calls out a 4-place Deutsch "accessory" connector under the seat.

Old 01-18-2009, 10:16 AM
williamfrog
Road Captain
Received 29 Likes on 7 Posts

Never looked for it on my 08 . So I pulled the seat , only one I saw was a empty one that had a heavy red lead . Hot with ignition . It was at the end of the gas tank . OK guys we need a picture.

Last edited by williamfrog; 01-18-2009 at 10:19 AM.
Old 01-18-2009, 11:10 AM
bigdumbnoitall00
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 670 Likes on 534 Posts

on my 07 and my 05 its right under the seat just above and forward from the battery looks like a square plastic box with a rubber cover plugged in on top remove the rubber it will have 4 small holes for duetch conecters one is ground one ison ignition one is on the light oneis on acc switht

Old 01-18-2009, 12:46 PM
sgdiesel
Road Warrior

I have attached a photo of the connector I believe is the correct one. It is in exactly the place that the Owners manual says it should be, and the plug on the lead I bought is the right plug. It is a 4 pin connector, but only 3 pins are in use. As stated - I have run a check between all 3 pins to see if I could see some kind of logic associated with the rocker switch, but nothing!

I have checked again under the seat and looked for an alternative connection, but there is nothing.

Attached Thumbnails 08 Ultra accessory connection issue-dscn0244.jpg  
Old 01-18-2009, 12:47 PM
sgdiesel
Road Warrior

Forgot to add, service manual is on order and will be getting later this week. I believe they are very good

Old 01-18-2009, 02:32 PM
sgdiesel
Road Warrior

OK, I have now sorted this. The connector that is controlled by the accessory rocker switch is, inideed, buried under the battery cover in front of the battery, and NOT the connector shown in the Owners Manual, although both connectors are compatible with the standard accessory plug!

Quick Reply: 08 Ultra accessory connection issue