Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

08 Ultra accessory connection issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2009, 03:37 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

Glad you found the correct connector. You aren't the first and won't be the last to be convinced they found the accessory connector but didn't. At least you now know where the Data Connector is if you want to connect the SEST or TTS MasterTune. Good call on the SM.

Last edited by Harleypingman; 01-18-2009 at 03:46 PM.
Old 02-05-2009, 10:53 AM
alandchris
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

is the accessory switch always "hot" or does it work with the ignition

Old 02-05-2009, 11:05 AM
daharleyrdr
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool GPS Hookup

Sgdiesel
I started to read your Tread and thought about what I effed up on my 08 Classic. I have a Garmin GPS that I mounted with a Ram hardware and instead of plugging into the cigarette lighter to charge, I thought I came up with a great Idea in theory anyways LOL!! I bought a Y connector that allows you to run two connections of the accessory plug that you were looking for under the seat. I cut wires on the plug, soldered them to a garmin Cig ligher adapter, hooked em up turned on the bike and the accessory switch GPS worked for a minute then I believe burned out. Had to send GPS back to garmin it was warrantied and the sent me a refurbished, thank god nothing happened to the bike last time Ill try to be a mechanic LMFAO BV!!!!

Old 02-06-2009, 04:43 AM
sgdiesel
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by alandchris
is the accessory switch always "hot" or does it work with the ignition
There are 4 wires in the accessory connector,

Ground
Brake Lights
Ignition switch live
Accessory toggle switch live.

I have also done some more digging on this as my final solution ended up using both the Ignition switch live and the accessory switch live. The Harley connector I bought (cig lighter) only comes with the ground and "accessory switched live" wires connected (the plug doesn't have the pins for the other connections) so I sourced and bought my own plug. It is a Deutsch type DT connector and in the UK there is a company called Simtek. Service was very good and £3 a connector is a good price. I ran the ignition live back to the pocket in the lower right fairing and terminated in a cig lighter connection there. I use that to charge / power my Ipod. I ran the accessory switched live back in to the upper fairing and fitted a cig connector in there and then powered by satnav from that but running the cable back out to the ram mount. All wires are now well hidden and I am not using the bike cig lighter, which I was really keen to avoid. I could see the cig plug getting crushed against the bike on a full left turn - not very clever design.

Old 02-06-2009, 04:53 AM
sgdiesel
Road Warrior

Forgot to mention, moulded numbers on the plug are different to the numbers on the cct diagram in the service manual, always do a physical check on the bike connector

Old 02-06-2009, 12:49 PM
DRAFT1
Tourer

Originally Posted by sgdiesel
There are 4 wires in the accessory connector,

Ground
Brake Lights
Ignition switch live
Accessory toggle switch live.

I have also done some more digging on this as my final solution ended up using both the Ignition switch live and the accessory switch live. The Harley connector I bought (cig lighter) only comes with the ground and "accessory switched live" wires connected (the plug doesn't have the pins for the other connections) so I sourced and bought my own plug. It is a Deutsch type DT connector and in the UK there is a company called Simtek. Service was very good and £3 a connector is a good price. I ran the ignition live back to the pocket in the lower right fairing and terminated in a cig lighter connection there. I use that to charge / power my Ipod. I ran the accessory switched live back in to the upper fairing and fitted a cig connector in there and then powered by satnav from that but running the cable back out to the ram mount. All wires are now well hidden and I am not using the bike cig lighter, which I was really keen to avoid. I could see the cig plug getting crushed against the bike on a full left turn - not very clever design.
OK,
I need to be educated here. I am putting driving lights on my RG. I have bought the 1 into 2 pigtail that plugs into the accessory plug under the seat. I intended to cut off one of the plugs and wire it into my driving lights, using the acc. switch to turn them on and off. If this is the case, do I only use the ground and the acc. toggle switch live wire? Can you tell me wich wire is the acc. switch live wire? Thanks.

Old 02-06-2009, 01:30 PM
rocknrod
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Old 02-06-2009, 01:50 PM
sgdiesel
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by DRAFT1
OK,
I need to be educated here. I am putting driving lights on my RG. I have bought the 1 into 2 pigtail that plugs into the accessory plug under the seat. I intended to cut off one of the plugs and wire it into my driving lights, using the acc. switch to turn them on and off. If this is the case, do I only use the ground and the acc. toggle switch live wire? Can you tell me wich wire is the acc. switch live wire? Thanks.
I should have added wire colours, so here we go:

Black = Ground / Earth
Orange = Accessory Switched Live
Orange/Red = Ignition switched live
Red/Yellow = Brake connection

This is according to the cct diagram for 08 tourers, I strongly suspect this will have remained constant for many years, but if these colours don't coincide then you need to get a manual or use a multimeter and test the wires. Personally I would recommend getting a DT connector and plugging in rather than cut and join, but if you do cut and join, take extra care to ensure the ends of the ignition switched live and brake are well insulated. If you allow these to short against a bolt or the frame you will get some nasty results - that is for sure.