Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Comparason OF THE 09 SG & 09 UGC

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2009, 11:27 PM
TASSY5
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow Comparason OF THE 09 SG & 09 UGC

I have been looking at the 09 SG BUT want some of the UGC features and have seen may posts where guys say to get the UGC and take the parts off (tour pack, lower farings Etc) and basically I will have a SG but with out having to buy a SG and then spend the money to add those features.
What is the best way to do this?
I really like the SG, and there is a Mamber on the board that owns this bike and it is exactly what I am going for in my bike color and design. (pictured below my post here)

Opinions please as i am gettng a little confused on which to buy and for best costs reasons. But this members bike is the bike I am looking for to purchase as far as appearience. AWESOME Bike. ( respect to the owner in use of his bike as my reference point)

Everything about this bike I like.

Old 01-17-2009, 11:44 PM
skydoc
Banned

FLHX just looks cooler!

Old 01-18-2009, 02:18 AM
Arizona
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I agree, gorgeous bike.

That looks to me like an '09 SG with the 4-point detachable mount. He's got a Tourpack for it and can easily have it on and off in just a couple minutes.

The Tourpak and all the hardware/mounts you'll need is probably around $1200-1300 or so by the time you get it all together.

Just do the math on what an Ultra is vs a SG and having to add a tourpak. The SG is lower than a regular Electra Glide and doesn't have the saddle bag guard rails, lower fairings, etc.

Old 01-18-2009, 03:43 AM
Pavetack
Cruiser

I went through the same decision process for over a year and finally bought an Ultra, more bike for your buck.

Old 01-18-2009, 04:51 AM
Rafkin
Cruiser

I had the same feelings last fall. could not decide between SG or UGC. I finally decided on Ultra because of the ride and also the fact that I could always remove the tour pak and the lowers for a different look. I like having the tour pak for some of the longer rides with the wife. She also liked the ride on the Ultra much better that the SG. the Ultra is a bit taller in the saddle though so keep that in mind. at 5'9" I just lowered mine with the SG rear shocks and might take a little bit out of the seat so I feel a bit more comfortable and flat footed at stops. SG does have the cool factor though. Still, I think I made the right decision with the Ultra, never once second guessed myself after the sale.

Old 01-18-2009, 05:45 AM
Chuck1
Road Warrior
Received 83 Likes on 61 Posts

I didn't want to buy a bike and strip it down either. The EG's fit and rode better for me than any of the touring bikes. Ride them both and do what ya got to do.
What's the Ultra have, you want, besides CB?
Take your time and have fun with it. I enjoy shopping a new bike!

Old 01-18-2009, 06:54 AM
williamfrog
Road Captain
Received 29 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Arizona
I agree, gorgeous bike.

That looks to me like an '09 SG with the 4-point detachable mount. He's got a Tourpack for it and can easily have it on and off in just a couple minutes.

The Tourpak and all the hardware/mounts you'll need is probably around $1200-1300 or so by the time you get it all together.

Just do the math on what an Ultra is vs a SG and having to add a tourpak. The SG is lower than a regular Electra Glide and doesn't have the saddle bag guard rails, lower fairings, etc.
Also sundowner seat and passenger foot boards

Old 01-18-2009, 09:03 AM
Garemlin
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

It all depends on how much of the look and functionality of each you want. I had an 08 Street Glide that I added a king tour pak, driving lights, and passenger floorboards to. Making it a little more like a Classic.

I now have an 09 EG Classic that I replaced the pancake turn signals with bullets and the saddlebag guards with low profile saddlebag supports. Also have plans to do a smooth front fender and painted saddlebag latches. Making it a little like a Street Glide. But I also added fairing lowers which goes towards the Ultra side of things.

Bottom line is only you can decide which way you want to go and where you want to start to get there. I personally love the looks of the Street Glide. But when I traded up to an 09 I didn't want to go through the hassle of buying and installing a tour pak again. So I went with the Classic and am slowly changing the styling to my tastes. Not Full on Street Glide. Just the parts of it I really like. The Ultra was not an option for me. For alot of people it is because they say it is better to have an not use than to want and not have. I found it a better route to take that $2k difference between the Ultra and Classic and use it for what I wanted.

Old 01-18-2009, 09:35 AM
TODDNVAL
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I went through the same thing when I bought my 07 SG, I didn't think I wanted to go full Ultra Classic at the time for looks. I spent alot of $$ to buy the detachable hardware, chopped tour pak, passenger floorboards, 2 piece seat, and the list goes on forever. When we got ready to buy a bike this time I didn't even consider the SG because once I added all that stuff to the other bike I liked it so much I never took it off, the tour pak is the most useful thing I've had on a bike.

Attached Thumbnails Comparason OF THE 09 SG & 09  UGC-copy-of-hpim0032.jpg   Comparason OF THE 09 SG & 09  UGC-7.jpg  
Old 01-18-2009, 09:36 AM
Willy G.
Road Captain

Probably cheaper to buy a Classic and strip her down. Get the quik release parts and be done with it. To build up a Street you'd have to buy all the stuff and add it. color matched tourpak is over $700 bucks alone.

Quick Reply: Comparason OF THE 09 SG & 09 UGC