Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Touring Bikes - any fun for short trips?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2009, 10:57 PM
rfultra
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

An Ultra rides just as smooth for 1 mile as it does for 100 miles. Half helmet, leg over, stand up, & you're gone. Just like a sporty.

Old 01-18-2009, 12:29 AM
ramnj
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Once the snow and salt (and the cast) are gone I'll be back on the bike.

Old 01-18-2009, 12:38 AM
cap5369
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Short ride, long ride makes no difference. Any ride on a bagger is a good ride + you may turn it into a 200+ mile trip.

Old 01-18-2009, 02:03 AM
JohnScrip
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

For a short time, I had a bagger and a "cruiser" -- Put around 5k on the bagger when I suddenly remembered there was another bike in the garage. Took it for a spin around the block to make sure she was still in good shape and put it up on CraigsList.

Then less than a year later, traded the bagger (a 96 RK) in for a 2008 Street Glide.

A bike is a bike if it's the bike you like (sorry, that sounds like Dr. Suess). If it's not being ridden, it's probably someone else's bike - It just doesn't belong to them yet. Once I got my first bagger, I liked baggers. Maybe some people change moods every once in a while... I don't.

I never think "Hey, I'm just going to the end of the driveway to get the paper - Wish I had a smaller bike" -- I just jump on the bike, warm it up for a minute and ride the 50 feet to the end of the driveway to get the paper. If it's pretty nice out and I have some time to kill, sure - I might go to another state and get their paper to see what's going on.

All kidding aside - I'm just a bagger guy now. If you're a potential bagger guy, you should try one out - Just don't feel guilty if you have to eventually pass on your non-bagger to a non-bagger guy. Better that someone appreciates and rides it rather than it sits collecting dust.

I've got a buddy who bought a (05?) Dyna and then latched on to an (07) Ultra. I honestly think he rides the Dyna every now and then just to "not neglect" it. That's just not "his bike" anymore. He doesn't want to sell it (yet) but I'm convinced he will at some point. Heck, he might still be making payments on it - I'm not sure. Don't get me wrong - I'm sure a lot of multi-bike owners appreciate and love 'em all - But it takes me exactly the same amount of time to throw my leg of a Street Glide as it does a Soft Tail or a Dyna.

It's just a personal thing, but I think that in the long run, if you ride for the "excitement" of riding, then a more "naked" bike is the way to go. If you ride just for the sheer pleasure of riding and you want a little more comfort (and God knows I don't need any additional "excitement" when I'm riding anymore), you might be a good candidate for a bagger.

Not that riding a bagger can't be exciting...

People want relationships to be exciting and they get edgy when they turn "comfortable and consistent" -- I want my bike to be comfortable and consistent. The exciting part is the ride - Even if it's just to the end of the driveway.

Old 01-18-2009, 04:27 AM
Raventhik
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Are you kidding me!! Weather permitting.
I'm thinking ...Any chance to ride is a chance to RIDE.

Old 01-18-2009, 05:05 AM
Jrsess
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 69 Likes on 63 Posts

There loads of fun all the time!

Old 01-18-2009, 05:45 AM
Aslan
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Baggers can do it all.
I'll never go back to a naked bike.

Old 01-18-2009, 05:46 AM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Mine sure are fun no matter what I use them for!

Old 01-18-2009, 06:07 AM
05Fatty
Road Master
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

If you're going with a Classic just quick detach the pak and get a shorter windsheild for around town. It makes it seem like you have 2 bikes in 1 and is a little more stripped down around town.

Old 01-18-2009, 06:30 AM
Uncle Scrooge
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Nobody's mentioned the sheer adolescent fun you can have with the radio/CD on a summer evening. Pop in some ZZTop. The cagers don't know how to react to a harmless looking old retiree with "Tush" blasting away beside them at the light.

Quick Reply: Touring Bikes - any fun for short trips?