Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Touring Bikes - any fun for short trips?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2009, 09:52 AM
Pumba11
Elite HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

If you are worried about not having that "bar cruiser" look if you buy a bagger, consider a Road King. I strip off my windshield, swap out the touring seat for my solo seat, and now I have a bitchen boulevard cruiser! With the wind in my face. Can't do that with the other baggers with fairings!

Speaking of fairings, if you also want one of those, there are several nice aftermarket fairings that just clip right onto the Road King giving you more protection and tunes!

Old 01-19-2009, 09:55 AM
Led Zeppelin
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I take my bike everywhere I can. I think the only reason I'd take the truck is if it won't fit in or on the bike. The only problem is those short trips always turn into long ones.

Old 01-19-2009, 10:29 AM
Marine.Top.58
Banned Camp
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's no more work to take out my Road Glide than it was my Fat Boy or Sportster before that... Ride the bitch...

Old 01-19-2009, 10:53 AM
Geoff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 667 Likes on 414 Posts

Baggers take a little more work for short hops. Everything from getting it out of the garage to riding in crowded parking lots takes more effort than a Sportster. You get used to it, however. And you quickly learn to appreciate the capacity of the tour-pak and saddlebags.

Old 01-19-2009, 12:42 PM
Tileman
Advanced

Like everyone said, baggers are not these lumbering behemoths that are ill suited for anything but interstates. They are very nimble. Have had my bagger on a road in Athens, OH called the Little Dragon. Not sure how many turns, but something like over 100 in just a few miles. All blind, off camber, don't cross the yellow line or you could be dead type of turns. Was an absolute blast. The bagger seems to handle better than the Softail cause of the shorter wheelbase. Don't worry about them being more trouble to jump on and go cause there's nothing to it. You will just have to get in the habit of watching where you park so you aren't trying to back out going uphill. Would have just the bagger, but still love that softail. Always nice to have a spare bike as well.

Old 01-19-2009, 06:35 PM
Jerm21
Tourer

Thanks again for all of the responses. I’ll be sure to post pictures if/when I get one.
For those wondering (smelly loaf of bread), I do have bags on the sporty… smaller than the electra glide, but handy nevertheless.

I have a busy life, so my riding is split between the hour long cruises that I can fit in here and there and the daylong rides+ I try to take several times a year… and everything in between.

The sporty has never failed to put a smile on my face (even after sitting on it for 7+ hours), but I certainly can see the merits of a bigger bike, especially for longer highway rides. I’m not into flying around like I stole the bike, rather I’d consider myself a kick back and enjoy the scenery type of person… all roads are leading me to a bagger. I also love the look of the FLHTC...

Appreciate the 2 cents!

- Jerm

Old 01-19-2009, 07:00 PM
Cloud09King
Road Warrior

Short rides, in general, are no fun whether your on a Moped or an Ultra Classic Electra Glide! No, but seriously, I don't think all of us "Tourer's" are doin' 300+ miles everytime we take our bikes out. I'd say that 75% of the time I tak my bike out I usually don't put on more than 100 miles. And like someone else said here, it's much better being able to have a bag to put stuff in than strapping it down to a luggage rack or trying to balance it between your crotch & the instrument panel while ridin' everytime. Now I won't lie & say that wouldn't mind owning a nice, cutom Big Bear Chopper too, but my bank account tells me I can only have one for now & I'm damn-sure glad it's my King! Get the bagger & enjoy the ride!

Old 01-20-2009, 01:41 AM
RangeRat
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You'll be real pleased Jerm. The only "extra effort" I noticed was pushing the bike backwards and if an oldphart like me can do it you sure can.

Baggers actually have great low-speed handling characteristics (pick up a copy of Ride Like a Pro), do indeed tote a load with ease, and can obviously gobble up miles on the hwy when you have the opportunity.

Good riding,
Steve

Old 01-20-2009, 05:36 AM
skootchnc
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 502 Likes on 260 Posts

Originally Posted by Geoff
Baggers take a little more work for short hops. Everything from getting it out of the garage to riding in crowded parking lots takes more effort than a Sportster. You get used to it, however. And you quickly learn to appreciate the capacity of the tour-pak and saddlebags.
I came from a Honda 1100 Spirit, the RG is a full 300 pounds heavier than the Spirit, yet If the ol's car is in the garage, and the daughter's car is in the driveway, I just hop on the rg, turn the bars, and a few steps, the bike, is out the garage, and turned araound... I've found no extra effort in backing the RG out... of course being DOWNHILL helps. If the OL's car is gone, the RG, will turn 180 inside the gaarage.

Again.. except for pushing the bike UPHILL in a parking lot, I've found no difference in the RG, and previous bikes.
26 degrees rake on the RG, compared to a 30 degree rake on a Sportster, I believe I'll turn my RG in far quicker than the sportie...

Old 01-20-2009, 08:27 AM
electra glide
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Put the quick detach on the tour pack. Got it for long trips, off for short trips. I kinda like it that way.

Quick Reply: Touring Bikes - any fun for short trips?