Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tour Pak Docking Hardware Questions for Street Glide

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2009, 03:01 PM
buckwheat
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Tour Pak Docking Hardware Questions for Street Glide

Last year, I installed the detachable docking hardware for a sissy bar. What I learned from that lovely experience was don't remove all 4 bolts at the same time - unless you want to set a record for profanity.

I'm now going to install the rear docking hardware for a detachable king tour pak on my Street Glide.

I've made a few observations that I want to run by you guys.

First, it appears that I have no choice but to move the current antenna location as that space will be occupied by the docking hardware arms. It also appears (and tears are welling up as I type this) that I will basically have to install the docking hardware arms below the current mounting points for my sissy bar mounting points.

Does this sound correct?

I remember someone had put together a really nice step by step instruction set for mounting of docking hardware, but I've since misplaced those instructions. (So if anyone knows what I'm talking about and can post it here, that would be terrific).

I guess what I'm really trying to determine is if I actually need to temporarily remove the rear docking points for the sissy bar detachable and install the tour pak mounting hardware below these points.

Thanks!

Old 01-17-2009, 05:17 PM
Lonewolf176
Stellar HDF Member
Received 368 Likes on 233 Posts

I can't remember exactly but I know I had to change spacers somewhere to get the bags to line up parallel. I will go and find the directions and try to post pic. Hopefully it won't take long.

Old 01-17-2009, 05:26 PM
buckwheat
Tourer

This is a pic from an older post of Pastor John's - seems to make better sense now...

Attached Thumbnails Tour Pak Docking Hardware Questions for Street Glide-docking.jpg  
Old 01-17-2009, 05:29 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

IMO, a better alternative is the Milwaukee Bagger two-up detachable rack that uses your backrest hardware, so there is no need to use HD's two-up detachable hardware. It's more costly ($300 v. about $200) but you aren't installing more hardware and you won't have those chrome loops sticking out the back of the bike.

I've had the two-up hardware and disliked it so much that I mounted it differently from HD's instrustions so it was easily removeable, and only reinstalled it for trips when using the King TP for long trips. I've since sold the rack and hardware and will buy the Milwaukee Bagger rack.

Old 01-17-2009, 05:31 PM
Lonewolf176
Stellar HDF Member
Received 368 Likes on 233 Posts

Heres some pics from directions

Attached Thumbnails Tour Pak Docking Hardware Questions for Street Glide-docking-kit-001.jpg   Tour Pak Docking Hardware Questions for Street Glide-docking-kit-002.jpg  
Old 01-17-2009, 05:34 PM
buckwheat
Tourer

Thanks guys!

Harleypingman - the tourpak already had the detachable mounting bracket on it... But trust me, I'd rather take that option. I agree with your views on this....

Old 01-17-2009, 08:59 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by buckwheat
Thanks guys!

Harleypingman - the tourpak already had the detachable mounting bracket on it... But trust me, I'd rather take that option. I agree with your views on this....
You could sell the rack for $100+ or so and not throw more money at this.

If you use the HD mounting hardware, you can trim/grind the forward edge of the top part and install it on the outside of the black bracket used for the solo detachable/passenger backrest mounting hardware. Here are a couple of picks of the right and left side chrome brackets after they were modified for mounting on the outside of the black bracket:

http://

http://

If you mount the two-up hardware on the outside of the black bracket, it takes very little time to install/remove the chrome mounting hardware--it's only three bolts per side. The rack will fit slightly tighter on the mounting hardware, but I did it this way for several thousand miles on various trips and had no issues.

Old 01-17-2009, 09:06 PM
shekmark
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Pingman, that Mil Bagger detachable mount is a great idea. Thanks!

Old 01-17-2009, 10:28 PM
buckwheat
Tourer

Considering I just bought the rear docking kit (which I can return), and then turn around and sell the (rather beat up) detach tour pak rack for $75 or so, that would bring this into the $175 range (perhaps less if I could buy it through my parts guy and get the discount). So - $150 to keep the bike much cleaner looking. How many do we know of who have taken the plunge on this Milwaukee Bagger Tour Pak Rack?

I do have to wonder just how much stress should be put on that front mounting point... 40 #s for the tour pak, plus a passenger leaning against it...?

Old 01-17-2009, 10:47 PM
gs34doc
Big Kahuna HDF Member

Received 895 Likes on 633 Posts

Here ya go Buckwheat. http://linuxworx.org/HD/UltraDetach3.htm
Hope that's what you wanted.

Quick Reply: Tour Pak Docking Hardware Questions for Street Glide