Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

At my wit's end choosing a bike

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2009, 08:22 PM
rockhard69
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Heck with the deciding, just get a Nightrod Special, it will go so FAST, you won't have time to think about what bike you SHOULD OF bought. Beside there are fewer color choices involved.

Old 01-16-2009, 08:35 PM
Twinrider
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluegrasser
I wish. I've actually narrowed it down to an FLHR, FLHRC, or FLTR so, sorry, no FLHX for me.
Here's my $0.02

The FLHRC is the best looking Harley hands down. But the FLHR ranks a close second and you get a more practical touring bike as it's got locking saddlebags and tubeless tires.

FLHR/C versus FLTR: Think of it as a convertible versus a Grand Touring sedan. Since my riding involves a lot of town traffic and it's pretty hot here in summer, I opted for the FLHR. I can dress her up or down in a matter of minutes depending on the season and ride plan. It's like having two bikes in one.

But if I lived somewhere I wasn't dealing with much traffic, riding lots of long distances on superslab and I wanted tunes, I'd probably get a Road Glide.

Old 01-16-2009, 09:30 PM
wbeem
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Since I'm also going crazy deciding on a bike, I'll toss in my 2¢, too.

I have a 2003 Road King Classic. It's been exactly what I wanted and I truly enjoy that bike. It performed great when I took it on some multi-state road trips, it's very good around town, too. I bought it with the leather tour pack right off the floor.

Some folks like the hard bags because they're lockable (sound policy), but I think they look awful. I wanted the look of the FLHRC/I leather bags and the security of a good lock. Fortunately, I found a vendor right at the store during Bike Week who installs locks on leather bags (www.lockyourleathers.com). They're keyed to the ignition key, so I had the locks installed on both saddlebags and the tour pack. Never had any issue with someone getting inside my bags.

The stock saddle on the RK is a wretched device invented by terrorists. Just one trip from Orlando to Key West was enough to burn my bottom for days. Like all of my previous bikes, I ended up installing a Corbin saddle. Then I discovered the absolute JOY of having a driver backrest in that saddle. Wow, I never knew how much I wanted it until I got one. Absolutely fantastic idea as it allows you to maintain support and relax some of your muscles a bit.

However, the RK is paid off now. It's still a great ride, but I find myself wanting a bad-*** bar hopper bike. The RK is many things, but it's not bad-***. It's comfortable, it's wonderful, but it's your old man's bike. I don't want to go back to riding crotch rockets, but I would like to ride something a bit more aggressively without scraping the floorboards when I lean into a curve. I'm thinking about getting a Fat Bob and making it into something just for local rides and back roads.

I notice a lot of people here like the Road Glide. Can't say that I think much of it, myself. That fairing looks butt-ugly to me. I did a rental from Salt Lake City down to Vegas one time on a Road Glide. Just my luck, a blizzard blew in from the west on the day I went to pick up the bike. There I am riding in heavy winds, snow, and bone-chilling cold on an ugly bike. The part that bothered me the most was how the cross-wind seemed to push me over like I was on a sailboat. I blame that ugly fairing for catching so much wind. Maybe I'm wrong, but I still hate that Road Glide. As for the music, I decided that I didn't care to have it playing while I'm riding because it distracts me from road noise, upcoming vehicles, etc. Although I turn my head before changing lanes, sometimes you still tend to think you have plenty of room. When I can hear a vehicle in my blind spot, it's just one more thing to keep me alive. Blasting a radio takes that away.

Oh, I forgot to mention that I'm opinionated.

Old 01-16-2009, 10:15 PM
Marine.Top.58
Banned Camp

Whatever you do, don't get the Road Glide...

They suck, no one likes them, they're ugly, people hate how well they handle, and they don't look like all of the RK's and Batwings on the road. You'll never be able to express you individuality if you don't have a scoot like everyone else...

Just Sayin'...

Really, they're both nice bikes, don't know how you could be disappointed w/either (that stereo sure is nice though).

Last edited by Marine.Top.58; 01-16-2009 at 10:19 PM.
Old 01-16-2009, 10:26 PM
BigDaddyMike
Club Member

Sig ic is what I ride. It is an FLHRS/I, had it for a few years. I love it, but it is time to Glide. BELOW is what is arriving in a few short weeks.

Old 01-16-2009, 10:30 PM
ev780
Tourer
Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Marine.Top.58
Whatever you do, don't get the Road Glide...

They suck, no one likes them, they're ugly, people hate how well they handle, and they don't look like all of the RK's and Batwings on the road. You'll never be able to express you individuality if you don't have a scoot like everyone else...

Besides the Secret Society is getting so as its not a secret anymore!!!

Last edited by ev780; 01-16-2009 at 10:32 PM.
Old 01-16-2009, 11:00 PM
Jukebox
Road Master

RK is Just a RG without the fairing and the radio. I have ridin both very hard and they handle exactly the same. The fairing does not make one bit of difference. SO really it's all about weather you want a fairing and hard bags or not. You see which one I chose,I can go sport touring or full on touring.

Old 01-17-2009, 12:37 AM
hogginit
Road Captain

Go with the RK! Still the sweetest looking Harley made and one of the best handling. If you want to be able to find it in a parking lot, pick a color.

Old 01-17-2009, 04:26 AM
deezee
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Bluegrasser
Actually, my perfect Road King is a Black Classic with hard bags, but I'm just not sure I could spend the extra money on the bags. Maybe if the dealer with give me a killer deal on the bags we have a winner...for now.

You hit the nail on the head right there......The FLHRC with hard bags.

Your practical side might also be thinking about the FLHR's wheels also. The classic is more work to keep looking good......but if youve got a lift, cleaning each spoke shouldnt be an issue

All in all you know deep down what you really want. You may flip flop, but you really know inside.....If you LOVE the RG then get it.....The FLHR and FLHRC are TIMELESS CLASSICS that you will never regret picking up.

GET THE FLHRC WITH HARD BAGS AND BE DONE WITH IT.

Old 01-18-2009, 06:18 PM
Bluegrasser
Road Master

So I did some demo'ing today...

I haven't ridden in a few months so I decided to dust out the cobwebs with a ride on an XL1200N Nightster. What a cool bike. Kinda cramped with the mid controls, but I'd love to have one as an around-town bike.

Next came a '07 Road Glide. Holy crap what a nice bike. I can see eating up some serious miles on that thing. The stock windshield was a little shaky, but nothing that couldn't be fixed with an aftermarket. The stereo was awesome. It sounded like the music was in my helmet, not coming from the dash. The fly-by-wire throttle was superb. Wind-wise it was like riding in a car with the windows open. I felt a little buffeting on the highway, but again, that could be fixed with a different windshield.

Finally was an 05 or 06 Road King Classic. Wow, I now know why they call it King. It's innate Harley-ness was impossible to ignore. It was a little more cramped than the Glide. I can only assume it was the difference in the seat. Wind-wise it wasn't a HUGE difference from the Glide. It was noticeable for sure, and the wind affected the steering more, but all-in-all it wasn't night and day like I expected. The biggest difference was that I was sort of staying "inside" the Glide paying attention to the dash like a car. On the King I was more "outside" the bike. I'm sure that fades as you get used to having all the bells and whistles in the Glide, but it was noticeable today.

At the end of the day I got their asking price for a new Black Pearl Road Glide with ABS and security. Are we allowed to discuss pricing here? It was quite a bit more than I was anticipating.

Quick Reply: At my wit's end choosing a bike