Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

At my wit's end choosing a bike

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2009, 10:21 AM
GymRat523
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Jay, did you keep the Sporty, I traded my 05 xl883 for my Cross Bones, love the new bike but it was hard to let the Sporty go. If I ever go with two the Sporty will come back.

Old 01-16-2009, 10:24 AM
Bluegrasser
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Daves Not Here!
I will make this easy!

Flip a coin, Heads King, Tails Glide!

Then get to the dealer and buy the Ultra Classic!

How about I don't and say I did, because I know I'll be flipping that coin until it magically splits in two in the air and lands on both heads and tails.

The current battleground is...

The King without the windshield for local joyriding in 110*F AZ heat vs. being 3 hours into the 6 hour ride to Vegas wanting wind protection and tunes.

Once that plays out to the inevitable stalemate I'll move on to the next scenario.

Old 01-16-2009, 10:30 AM
SamStone
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 177 Likes on 89 Posts

What ever one you decide on, go to Harley's web sight and bring up the bike in every color they offer. One by one put them on your computer as Wall Paper. You will get tired of looking at most colors until you find the one you really want. Worked for me.

Old 01-16-2009, 10:31 AM
wkenddad
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went through the same dilema.
At first I wanted the cool looking Rocker-C.
Then my B-inlaw (who owns a RoadKing) gave me some info.
You need to evaluate the type of riding you want to do.
Personally I planned on doing weekend rides of 50-300 miles at a time most of the time.
But, also wanted to take week long rides accross the country with my girl.
So, while the Rocker would look cool around town, it was a poor choice for long rides.
I looked at the RoadGlide but I personally am not a Bat Wing fan.
I looked at the StreetGlide and it would be good for the weekend rides, especially solo, but not the perfect match two-up.
Then I looked at the Ultra which was good for two-up, long rides (multiple days requiring storage & comfort) and it could be fitted with the TourPack quick disconnect to look similar to the StreeGlide for those solo weekend rides.
All the bikes had stereos, but the Ultra met all my requirements and my girl loves riding on back.
In fact she some times insists we go for a ride and allows me to skip all the "Needs to be Done" stuff.
So, it comes down to a matter of meeting your desires.
If your just a weekend solo rider then the StreetGlide or the RoadGlide is perfect.
If you ride two-up or take longer multi day vacations the Ultra may be better for you.
And last but not least, get the one that you want regardles of what all us pontificators tell you. You only need to make yourself happy.

And whatever you decide, "May the roads be long and windy and the sun always at your back".
Good riding to you!

P.S.
Once you decide on which bike, the hard part starts: What colors and options do I get?

Last edited by wkenddad; 01-16-2009 at 10:33 AM.
Old 01-16-2009, 10:34 AM
Arizona
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Marsh
Now that you've narrowed it down to 3 or 4 bikes, all you have to do is decide on a color.
Marsh
That's about right. Color could be the only major difference between the two cuz they don't both offer the same colors.

Now if you WANT the leather saddle bags then the RKC is the one you'll have to go with. Then again if you WANT the hard bags your decision is the RK. The rest of the stuff you can get for not too much extra if you want to add features to the RK that the RKC has such as cruise, wire wheels, etc.

You can get a RKC with hard bags but that's going to be the most expensive option if you do it that way.

Me? I had to have the hard bags so the RK was a no-brainer.

Last edited by Arizona; 01-16-2009 at 10:37 AM.
Old 01-16-2009, 10:44 AM
Bluegrasser
Road Master

In a related question...anyone ever notice that Road Glides don't hold their own when it comes to pictures on the web, but give the Road King a run for its money in person? I look at Road King pics all day and decide it's what I want and then head to the dealer only to have the gravity of the Glide pull me in. What a badass machine in person.

Old 01-16-2009, 10:48 AM
lockshop
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just buy both...

Then you'll just end up riding the King most of the time anyways...

j/k

Old 01-16-2009, 10:50 AM
beary
Grand HDF Member
Received 283 Likes on 188 Posts

Girls love the Road Kings.

Beary

Old 01-16-2009, 10:52 AM
Marsh
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluegrasser
How about I don't and say I did, because I know I'll be flipping that coin until it magically splits in two in the air and lands on both heads and tails.

The current battleground is...

The King without the windshield for local joyriding in 110*F AZ heat vs. being 3 hours into the 6 hour ride to Vegas wanting wind protection and tunes.

Once that plays out to the inevitable stalemate I'll move on to the next scenario.
If you want wind protection, put the windshield on. If you want tunes, take your gage.
Marsh

Old 01-16-2009, 10:55 AM
Bluegrasser
Road Master

Originally Posted by beary
Girls love the Road Kings.

Beary

Yes. Yes they do. My pretty young wife likes the Road King. To be fair, though, she's not been to the dealer yet...only seen the bikes in pictures.

Quick Reply: At my wit's end choosing a bike